will we ever see a worldwide regulated site?

• tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      hi,

so with spain+germany getting regulated and places like italy+france already regulated, along with the us fighting regulation will we ever see a poker site where everyone can play which is legalised across the board?

i would have thought that the players could get taxed from where they are from and then the government for that country gets the $$ for the individual players (this could be impossible but i really dont have a clue how it works)
  • 19 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Doubt that worldwide will happen, it's more likely to be .eu type rooms for us, which would be enough for me personally, esp if we could play againt all the italian/frech doods. =]

Btw, can someone from Estonia enlighen us on how it works out there? AFAIK it's regulated and u have to DL stars.ee client but still are able to play vs world, amirite?
    • pyure
      pyure
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Btw, can someone from Estonia enlighen us on how it works out there? AFAIK it's regulated and u have to DL stars.ee client but still are able to play vs world, amirite?
      Well I'm not estonian, but from my understanding that is now the case. When it was first legalized and regulated the only platform allowed was an estonian only ipoker client, but they have since granted pokerstars a licence.

Personally I don't see why there shouldn't be a worldwide regulated site, operating from somewhere like the isle of man, with a seperate client for each countey, .uk, .ie, .fr etc. which would allow each country to track account usage and levy their individual tax rates.
      Besides, I think sites like pokerstars are now so big and poker is such big business that it would be in a countries interest to make poker as accessible as possible.
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      I sure hope this will be the case one day. Kinda lot of discussion about legalisation in US going on now. Lot of things can happen to the poker world in the future. We need to hope =)
    • dangermowse
      dangermowse
      Silver
      This has been my argument for ever! The fact governments want to tax our winnings doesn't bother me all that much, but for them to not allow worldwide competition is just fucking stupid and will net them a shit load LESS money. What exactly is happening with Spain and Germany anyway? I've not heard. Also,I see French and Italians still on Full Tilt so are they not supposed to be?
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      i doubt very much that it will ever happen. The laws in each country are to different for it to ever work. and governments are not going to let the development and implementaion of laws that effect their countries be run by some authority out of the isle of man. And even if it could be done it would take forever (i cant see the australian government (who don't tax gambling//poker winnings) prioritising something like this over say illegal immigrants).
    • pyure
      pyure
      Bronze
      Well if it does all go tits up and it becomes a case of every country for themselves at least there's EU laws agained closed markets which means we'll all be able to play in any eurozone country we choose.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Doubt that worldwide will happen, it's more likely to be .eu type rooms for us, which would be enough for me personally, esp if we could play againt all the italian/frech doods. =]

In Estonia only one iPoker skin (Olympic online), Pokerstars and one Microgaming skin (Triobet) have the licence at the moment. For other rooms, local authorities have blocked the access to their websites, software etc, but this can be rather easily solved by using Google DNS. So basically everybody plays wherever they wan't and it seems that local authorities don't care as well.

About taxes. As I understand ATM we don't have to pay taxes on our winnings in Estonia because Poker rooms already pay taxes from their revenue. However there's no guarantee it wouldn't change in the future.

To those who say that they don't care about the taxes - what??? Doesn't seem reasonable to me. I'd like to remind you that in addition to income tax there's also social security taxes (or whatever they are called in your country). That's quite an amount.

You'd donate more than half of your income just to play against some Italian and French folks? I don't see the logic behind that. How many more fish are we actually expecting from this legislated market? Stars and Full Tilt allow US players and they are the nittiest ones around ?(
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Stars and Full Tilt allow US players and they are the nittiest ones around ?(
      Before the UIGEA became law Party Poker was 90% fish and most all of them were American. Poker is ultimately more popular, per capita, in American than anywhere else in the world so if it opens up again the licensed sites are going to be flooded with fish eager for their poker fix.

Read some stories about online poker before 2007. NL100 played like NL2 does now.
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      When will be spain and germany regulated ? where did you read this ?
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Zynga!!!
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OZSA
      If you remove your head from the sand you'll find that pretty much every news site that covers poker has 2-3 articles about the whole bwin.party vs German government debacle.

The Spain stuff is not as far along I think.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saruniks
      Zynga!!!
      this would be so fucking awesome
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Given their partnership with PTR I wouldn't be too surprised if this actually happens.

I'm actually very surprised the established rooms haven't used Social Networking sites like Zynga did. Seems like a gold mine.
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TobyCS
      Zynga!!!
      so many members, and so many thinking they are great because they have a lot of play chips. It would be something like 4 years ago on online poker!!! I have my bankroll ready for zynga!!
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TobyCS
      Zynga!!!
      so many members, and so many thinking they are great because they have a lot of play chips. It would be something like 4 years ago on online poker!!! I have my bankroll ready for zynga!!
      if zynga can get a real money system then it will be the next poker boom!!!
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Zynga!!!
      Best one word reply :D
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Originally posted by OZSA
      If you remove your head from the sand you'll find that pretty much every news site that covers poker has 2-3 articles about the whole bwin.party vs German government debacle.

The Spain stuff is not as far along I think.
      easy boy..easy
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Here in Ontario, Canada, the government will be opening an online poker room in late 2012...for Ontario residents only. Quebec and British Columbia will have such rooms sooner, but they'll be available only to residents of their respective provinces.

I am totally against this as it means the Balkanization of the poker world. Canadian players are generally above-average players, and an Ontario-only poker room would be a nightmare to try to make money at. When it opens I plan to register on it only for curio value.

A U.S. only poker room has already been tried. Bodog, which was (and maybe still is) operated in Canada, permitted only U.S. players for a long time. If anyone played on Bodog extensively back then maybe you can let me know what it was like.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      I don't like the idea of only people from your province playing. I think the whole country should be on one site or able to pick which site.