making notes

• 3 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      My notes are very similar to what Dan Harrington suggests in his online cash book and what the Silver PokerStrategy Article recommends.

In short you want to focus on the texture of the hand and the feel of the action so that it applies to other situations. For example the note "donk" or "fish" is bad. Here's an example of a real note I have:

"calls 2/3 bets with FD and donk bluffs river (1)"

That means that we had a hand where I was betting 2/3rds pot for value on a two to a flush flop. He called every bet and then donk bluffed the river when he missed. If I see him do it again I might adjust the note slightly and add a (2).

For plays that happen on a single street I might add a prefix:

F: fold to rereiase when OOP (1)

In that case the villain folded to my reraise when he c-bet out of position. If I try again and succeed I'll add (2) and if I try a third time and fail I'll make it (2/3).

I hope that helps until you can get to the silver articles! Also watch some of the videos as often they drop hints about the notes you should be taking.

Edit: Nits are every where just waiting to strike.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      My notes are very similar to what Dan Harrington suggests in his online cash book and what the Silver PokerStrategy Article recommends.

In short you want to focus on the texture of the hand and the feel of the action so that it applies to other situations. For example the note "donk" or "fish" is bad. Here's an example of a real note I have:

"calls 2/3 bets with FD and donk bluffs river (1)"

That means that we had a hand where I was betting 2/3rds pot for value on a two to a flush flop. He called every bet and then donk bluffed the river when he missed. If I see him do it again I might adjust the note slightly and add a (2).

For plays that happen on a single street I might add a prefix:

F: fold to 3-bet when OOP (1)

In that case the villain folded to my 3-bet when he c-bet out of position. If I try again and succeed I'll add (2) and if I try a third time and fail I'll make it (2/3).

I hope that helps until you can get to the silver articles! Also watch some of the videos as often they drop hints about the notes you should be taking.
      Thanks thats really helpfull!!! :P
    • malosanmaka
      malosanmaka
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      F: fold to 3-bet when OOP (1)

In that case the villain folded to my 3-bet when he c-bet out of position. If I try again and succeed I'll add (2) and if I try a third time and fail I'll make it (2/3).
      c-bet = "bet", your raise = "2-bet", if he reraised you that would be a 3-bet.