New to poker! Starter strategy?

• kfish
      kfish
      Bronze
      Hello everyone! I'm waiting for my idcheck to finish, just have to recieve a call I hope and I was wondering what strategy I should go for as a beginner to start increasing my bankroll.

I read up on the MSS and I have all the graphs and stuff and I want to follow it but before I do, I would like opinions from the community.

Thank you very much!
  • 12 replies
    • sindeon
      sindeon
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think MSS is perfect choice for a brand new player...it was developed for this situation.

But first advice I can give you here is: stick to appropriate bankroll management. Whether you´re winning or loosing player, don´t risk your BR at higher limits just because you want to win more money faster (running hot) or win back money you´ve lost at your actual limit (suffering downswing). That should be your number one rule and first step to be a successful poker player!

Good luck at the tables and have a lot of fun! :f_thumbsup:

Cheers,
      Ondra
    • kfish
      kfish
      Bronze
      Thanks, I told myself that I will stick to the Bankroll management rules even if my gut tells me otherwise. I'm not experienced enough to make my own decisions about that at this point. I just lost KK against AA and QQ against KK though, kinda sad but I'll consider it a slow start!
    • sindeon
      sindeon
      Bronze
      Yeah, loosing QQ against KK or any pocket pair against higher pocket pair could be sad, but it´s absolutely normal (don´t forget he had like 80% chance to beat you preflop). But be prepared that you´ll lost your KK against QQ...it happens from time to time. Just get used to it. ;)

If you have decided to follow MSS strategy I would suggest you to watch these two awesome vids from PokerStrategy coach and hand judge Gerv. Believe me, it´s absolutely worth of your time! Show you how to apply MSS in practises.

Hope you´ll enjoy it!

MSS for beginners Part 1

and

MSS for beginners Part 2

In my opinion, to watch these two videos is the best thing you can do while waiting for your starting capital!

Cheers,
      Ondra
    • kfish
      kfish
      Bronze
      Thank you! I will watch these right away.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi kfish,

Welcome to our community!

As per sindeon, you MSS is a good start if you new to poker.

You can also post your hands and our poker experts will read your leaks and gives you advice on how to continue to improve.

Keep us posted and good luck
      Ingrid

ps/ sindeon, as always thank you for helping out! =)
    • kfish
      kfish
      Bronze
      First session today at PartyPoker with the $50!

I'm learning how to use the MSS but still having trouble learning the flops (I get nervous!)

I still managed to earn $2.73 after some losses of AA to QQ getting a third Q in the flop and losing KK against AA.

I think its normal though, as the videos say, I'll play these hands all day long if I have them because in the long term its money for me!

So my grand total right now is $52.73

Pretty happy about it!

Thanks PokerStrategy!
    • sindeon
      sindeon
      Bronze
      Hi,

glad to see you´ve recieved your starting capital without any difficulties and that you´ve managed to make a profit. :f_thumbsup:

Also gald that you see in these vids, that losing (preflop) monster is unfortunately natural part of this game and you seem to take it easy...that´s the right attitude (don´t miss these) articles (I didn´t pay my attention to them at first and now I realize the importance of appropriate mindset).

Hope to meet you soon at the tables, because I´m also at PartyPoker microstakes. ;)

Cheers,
      Ondra

btw if you have any problems with actions, you´re supposed to do according to MSS, don´t hasitate to print out the charts and keep it next to you while you are playing. If you don´t know what to do, just glimpse into this charts (it is also good way how to memorize basics of MSS). It helped me a lot. ;)
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      Hi Kfish,

welcome and grats with your first up! You seem like a communicative person, so a great way to get more fun out of online poker and share your thoughts is to start a blog. It's also a nice place for venting after bad beats and sharing pictures of nice cars and stuff :f_biggrin:

Cheers!
      v
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Congrats on the winnings Kfish!

You are in good hands with the guys :f_love: , they are always helpful and I am happy to see that you are not shy to ask/speak up.

About the poker blogs. Its also a very good idea to check the already existing blogs (I would recommend you a few but it would be a long list as I enjoy many of them) and follow the ones you feel its in your range or can teach you the essentials/tricks/give you a good laugh. I personally recommend it to you and assure you that you will have great fun once you get to know the community a little better!

Keep us posted =)
      Ingrid
    • kfish
      kfish
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies, I think I might start blogging my progress. I'm also going to start posting some hands on the forums since the feedback will improve my game alot. Thanks for the tips!
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      The 7 Tips on How to Become a Successful No-limit Player is in the BSS section, but pretty much everything applies. Just remember to read the linked articles for MSS and not BSS. :D
    • Airrr83
      Airrr83
      Bronze
      Hey there,

Good luck on the tables :)

Best Regards Plami :f_p: