Curiosity killed the cat? Almost

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I am (almost) embarrassed to post this hand, since by the numbers, I played it massively wrong.

However, the villain had sat down 27 hands earlier. In that time he was 44/11/0 with AF of 2.5 and and AFq of 52.

On the pots he entered, he either folded on any post flop bet, or called, even pot-sized raises.

Following that, he would bet huge amounts on scare cards -- 3rd to a suit, board paired, A on the turn or river. He bet turn 33% and river 80%, but FOLDED on the river on any resistance.

WTSD = 0.

So, I got curious. Just what does this guy have.

So this happens:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $2.41
      MP3:
      $2.36
      CO:
      $2.40
      BU:
      $1.97
      SB:
      $1.31
      BB:
      $2.19
      MP1 (Hero):
      $3.17

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, Q.
      Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, CO calls $0.08, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 9, T, 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16.

Turn: ($0.51) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.51, Hero calls $0.51.

River: ($1.53) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.53, Hero raises to $2.42(All-In), CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.06.

By the numbers I should never have called, but I could lose here and still be with almost half my buy-in, and like I say, I got overly curious.

Now what is even curiouser is: Why would anyone fold on the river with only .12 left in their stack?

On examination of the HH file, he actually STOOD UP before the fold. It was not a disconnect. Full Tilt records those as disconnect, not "stood up".

So the question is: Did I get really lucky, or was he just too embarrassed to show his cards.

Is this behaviour common -- his, not mine :) ? I've had people shove on the river before, and I've always folded, or had the stone-cold nuts and called.

--VS
  • 3 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      So the question is: Did I get really lucky, or was he just too embarrassed to show his cards.
      In my opinion to answer to both questions is yes. :D
    • skiffcz
      skiffcz
      Bronze
      From my very limited experience, people on the micros usually bet the river with something strong. So it is not common to bluff this big on the river Id say. Maybe he was just trying to exploit this? But he obviously was not any good, seeing that he likes the POT button so much, that it prevented him to go all-in instead.

Personally, I can see myself play this way from various reasons:

1, Im drunk
      2, I had a bad day and just want to smash some buttons
      3, I dont care about this buy-in and just want to try something crazy just for the sake of experiment/fun.

My guess is he had:

a, two clubs and was trying to make you fold 88 and worse.
      b, (more likely, based on how you picture him) 72o or whatever. Its just 27 hands though (5 times on the river maybe?) so who knows.

But it sure feels good to catch them stealing :] (in my case though, the bastard always have AA or such. Better yet, 43o :D )
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Your hand sure sounds like a tilt derived from maniac play by your opponent.