Making the most money possible from your opponents.

• SnakeDoctor44
      SnakeDoctor44
      Bronze
      My question is, If you are holding the best hand at the flop should you raise there and then and hope that your opponent will call or should you check and hope he hits a pair in the hope that he will get more emotionally invested in his hand.

When I raise with a set on the flop, more often than not my opponents fold, leaving me with a tiny payoff for such a good hand.

However if I check in the hope that my opponent hits a pair so I can extract more money from him, I am also giving him the chance to hit a set himself which can loose me a lot of money.

When using this check method I have had times when my opponent has hit top pair, pushed all in with it thinking he must have the best hand since I have been checking too, I call wit my set and I get doubled up.

However I have had times when my opponent has hit a lucky straight, flush, fullhouse on the river that beats my set. I know that I would have won the hand if I had have raised at the flop, however my opponent would have folded and I really do hate seeing a set go to waste like that when it has the potential to double me up.
  • 6 replies
    • SnakeDoctor44
      SnakeDoctor44
      Bronze
      I am talking about v 1 or 2 opponents. If there is a lot still in the hand I will raise because I know there is a good chance they WILL hit something on the flop that could beat me if there is 4,5 opponents in the hand.
    • ComplexP
      ComplexP
      Basic
      Your question is pretty much impossible to answer. It depends heavily on board texture and opponent's tendencies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by ComplexP
      Your question is pretty much impossible to answer. It depends heavily on board texture and opponent's tendencies
      Pretty much this. If everyone's folding when you c/r the flop you might be to nitty and not c/r as a bluff ever so everyone knows you has tha nuts.

But it also depends on board texture, how drawy is the board your opponents position and his range, if his an idiot who never fold a c.bet to raise and like 50 other factors :P
    • nemanjaboo
      nemanjaboo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ComplexP
      This is the only correct answer you can get.
    • SnakeDoctor44
      SnakeDoctor44
      Bronze
      Thanks for your helpful answers.

I have sort of made my own method now, you can comment on it if you want.

If I flop a strong hand like 3 of a kinds or higher but there is a strong flush or straight draw out there who could beat me I push and try and win the hand there and then to stop opponents sucking out on me.

However if I flop a set and there is no flush or straight draw and I will see it out to the river in the hopes my opponent hits top pair or a weaker set that they will raise or push with.
    • Vepof
      Vepof
      Bronze
      Thats a good method, but, lemme give you a tip you should keep in mind:

NO MATHER WHAT, NEVER SLOWPLAY AA. I mean, NEVER.

Even if you'r SB and everyone folds, BB is a nit 3/3, raise AA all day.