[NL2-NL10] NL5 semi-bluff reraise on the flop - paired board.

• Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      First time hand, I posted this because it's probably the fanciest move I've tried so far, and I wanted to see what a judge's thinking on it was.

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO = ($1.84) (15/4 over 26 hands)
      BU = ($5.42)
      SB = ($2.35) (20/13 over 74 hands)
      BB (Hero) = ($5.60)
      UTG2 = ($1.95)
      MP1 = ($3.59)
      MP2 = ($8.00)
      MP3 = ($2.75)

Note: CO posts BB + SB this hand.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, 9.
      4 folds, CO checks, BU folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.17) 8, K, K (3 players)

SB bets $0.11, Hero raises to $0.33...

The way I saw it here was that there was very little chance of either of my opponents having a King here, but if I re-raised, that's exactly what they would think I had. How was my reasoning here?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Salivanth,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

About the hand:
      Preflop: You can even raise it up here with 99 which is pretty strong hand, although it's not like a must. If you don't feel comfortable playing them postflop then Checking is fine as well.

As played
      Postflop: Don't really like the raise here, rather just Call. They will anyways have hard time Calling with a lot worse, even with just 7x.

Best regards.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Sorry, I should have mentioned my plan for that hand. When I re-raised, one of three things was going to happen. A) Both opponents would have folded. B) Someone calls. C) Someone re-raises. If C had happened, I would have folded. If B had happened, I would check/fold the turn. What I assumed is that A would happen far more often than B or C, and since I was risking 33c to win 28c, it only needed to work about 55-60% of the time.

Re-raising is a mistake based solely on the strength of my hand, but what do you think of the plan I had?

Also, thank you for the pre-flop advice, I shall make sure to utilise that in future.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Salivanth
      Sorry, I should have mentioned my plan for that hand. When I re-raised, one of three things was going to happen. A) Both opponents would have folded. B) Someone calls. C) Someone re-raises. If C had happened, I would have folded. If B had happened, I would check/fold the turn. What I assumed is that A would happen far more often than B or C, and since I was risking 33c to win 28c, it only needed to work about 55-60% of the time.

Re-raising is a mistake based solely on the strength of my hand, but what do you think of the plan I had?

Also, thank you for the pre-flop advice, I shall make sure to utilise that in future.
      The thin is that we are just turning our hand into bluff with raising and we wont get more value from them anymore. So more often will happen just > A he fold > B he is fishy and could consider Calling but only reasonable hands what he could be thinking of calling what we beat is 7x and 88 and that's all. C > he has us most of the time beat and we have to fold directly.

But if we Call he might still continue with some smaller PPs and more likely will pay us off with hands like 7x while with the raising case he ain't that likely going to pay us. Some tighter players might even just fold the hand since your line is very strong.