[NL2-NL10] Q's filling on the turn

• sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      The ReR on the turn felt good, if he had a king he's simply calling but I guess I was hoping to build the pot bigger (rough session) but again if he's got any bit of that pot KQ/AK/AQ/ (AJ maybe?) I guess he's calling regardless. So was pretty satisfied taking it down on the turn.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $0.97
      UTG1:
      $2.03
      UTG2:
      $0.99
      MP1 (Hero):
      $1.27
      MP2:
      $1.12
      MP3:
      $5.03
      CO:
      $2.47
      BU:
      $1.97
      SB:
      $1.17

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q, Q.
      UTG1 calls $0.02, UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 6 folds, UTG1 calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.19) 2, K, K (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.19) Q (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG1 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.29.
  • 4 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey sokoi,

May I ask why don't you c-bet the flop? I like the check behind, but it's not according to the articles.

I'll review the hand again after you reply.

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      May I ask why don't you c-bet the flop? I like the check behind, but it's not according to the articles.

I let fear get the better part of me on this one with the kings on the board. I've been running real bad as of late and I'm starting to second guess myself as though everyone's made quads or something. No i didn't think he made quads here but his stats 18/10 just after 41 hands anywhere between KTo+ I'm about 80% Conti-Bets but this board just made me want to ck and see a turn for free and hopefully fill up which in this case it i did. He DB's the Q which if his range is KTo and he's flopped his set i think at this point he's not getting off his hand so i 3bet he folds.

Thanks for the assistance, besides kicking myself that i should have CB the flop as always but again this hand and his range of cards added fear at this point to just ck and probably fold if he lead out on the flop. I'll have to post my KK lay down and see if that wasa the right move as well.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      I let fear get the better part of me on this one with the kings on the board. I've been running real bad as of late and I'm starting to second guess myself as though everyone's made quads or something. No i didn't think he made quads here but his stats 18/10 just after 41 hands anywhere between KTo+ I'm about 80% Conti-Bets but this board just made me want to ck and see a turn for free and hopefully fill up which in this case it i did. He DB's the Q which if his range is KTo and he's flopped his set i think at this point he's not getting off his hand so i 3bet he folds.

Thanks for the assistance, besides kicking myself that i should have CB the flop as always but again this hand and his range of cards added fear at this point to just ck and probably fold if he lead out on the flop. I'll have to post my KK lay down and see if that wasa the right move as well.

It is true you should have c-betted the flop according to the articles, but checking behind is actually better in this hand. Not because you should be afraid of him hitting the trips, but because he has very likely missed this board and is not going to pay you off with huge part of his range, maybe just with some pocket pairs, but that's it. Therefore it's better to check behind and let him bluff turn or perhaps hit some pair with the turn card so he will be more likely to call your delayed c-bet. On the other hand, him hitting trips on the flop is very unlikely, because when there are 2 kings on the board it's much less likely he has one in his hole cards as well and checking behind is also possible, because you don't have to protect your hand as he is drawing to max 3 outs(A).

On the turn, you have 3rd nuts, so you have almost 100% of the time the best hand here and if you think he is kind of aggressive and can donk river as well then you can try to slowplay and just call his turn DB. Otherwise you played well by raising his donkbet, just unlucky for you he didn't have a hand to pay you off with.

About your fear of never having the best, I think you should study some psychology videos/books, because if you think you fear opponents always have better hands then you don't play your A-game and this means you loose money longterm with it. You should fix that or perhaps take a break from poker till you're ready to pwn some fish and make big bucks. :)

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000

It is true you should have c-betted the flop according to the articles, but checking behind is actually better in this hand. Not because you should be afraid of him hitting the trips, but because he has very likely missed this board and is not going to pay you off with huge part of his range, maybe just with some pocket pairs, but that's it. Therefore it's better to check behind and let him bluff turn or perhaps hit some pair with the turn card so he will be more likely to call your delayed c-bet. On the other hand, him hitting trips on the flop is very unlikely, because when there are 2 kings on the board it's much less likely he has one in his hole cards as well and checking behind is also possible, because you don't have to protect your hand as he is drawing to max 3 outs(A).

On the turn, you have 3rd nuts, so you have almost 100% of the time the best hand here and if you think he is kind of aggressive and can donk river as well then you can try to slowplay and just call his turn DB. Otherwise you played well by raising his donkbet, just unlucky for you he didn't have a hand to pay you off with.

About your fear of never having the best, I think you should study some psychology videos/books, because if you think you fear opponents always have better hands then you don't play your A-game and this means you loose money longterm with it. You should fix that or perhaps take a break from poker till you're ready to pwn some fish and make big bucks. :)

Best regards,
      burek2000
      Great post got a lot from this thankyou!! :P
      roo