Tournaments vs Cash Games

• Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      I spent all times playing tournaments (Poker Strategy freerolls and other freerolls) but I didn't win anything.

However, in the cash games I usually come out on top.

So, in the long run, where's it easier to win money? Cash games or tournaments (where you might play for 3-4 hours and still not win anything)?
  • 23 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      that depends on whose playing.

if you ship a MTT then its a massive payout for a small investment but variance can be brutal

And you just have to look at the blog section to see many examples of how profitable cash games can be.

As a begginer (im guessing) you shouldnt be worried about where its easier to make money. you wanna be finding the game you enjoy playing most and then study and play and study some more until you're crushing it then study and play harder :) the moniez will follow
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I used to bleed money at cash games, and when my BR got under $40 I would play a few SnGs -- 9 or 27 player -- to get back over $50

For last few weeks, I've been doing well at cash games, and have not won a tournament -- but only played 6.

If you look at time management, as well as BR management, I think it favours cash games. You can spend a long time in a tournament, and even 1st place only returns 3x your buy-in.

Cash games you can often win that in much less time. I stop-loss at 2BI on a single table, too, so the cash game downside seems less

Freerolls are even worse. Some take up to 7hrs to complete -- and I have yet to cash in one.

--VS
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      I know, but the problem is I'm keeping to the strategies here in the beginner's guide, but I'm constantly losing against cheap flushes and other crappy combinations.

It's really frustrating when I play a tight game by playing only big hands just to lose it all against a crappy 2/7 suited flush.

For example, with the 50$ starting capital I got here I lost 7 1$ tournaments (90 players, 18 players paid) in a row and usually placed around 22nd-25th, yet I got 5 dollars back by winning at the 1/2 cents cash games.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Don't worry about making a quick buck worry about being the best you can. You can sit at cash game tables for several thousands of hands and not be up more than a buy in or 2
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dumbledork
      I know, but the problem is I'm keeping to the strategies here in the beginner's guide, but I'm constantly losing against cheap flushes and other crappy combinations.

It's really frustrating when I play a tight game by playing only big hands just to lose it all against a crappy 2/7 suited flush.

For example, with the 50$ starting capital I got here I lost 7 1$ tournaments (90 players, 18 players paid) in a row and usually placed around 22nd-25th, yet I got 5 dollars back by winning at the 1/2 cents cash games.
      Those 90 man games can have huge swings. which do you enjoy to play more tourneys or cash?

Theres your answer
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      My biggest win so far was 3rd place in the Early Double Satellite (12 T$ win). Other than that I once placed 7th in the German freeroll.

I only play at the shallow cash tables (40 cents buy in, 1/2 cents blinds) and I can never lose more than 40 cents in one sitting. Since there's not much to lose a lot more people are taking risks which makes it easier t o win some.
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      Cash games are a lot less frustrating than tournaments, that's for sure.

When I look at the Ferguson challenge at Full Tilt I wonder if that's not just a big hoax.
    • sindeon
      sindeon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      As a begginer (im guessing) you shouldnt be worried about where its easier to make money. you wanna be finding the game you enjoy playing most and then study and play and study some more until you're crushing it then study and play harder :) the moniez will follow
      +1

I can´t imagine to play poker which make me money but no fun (I don´t play poker for living). Choose what you like to play and try to do your best for winning and enjoying it in the same time. Poker could make you a huge amount of money, but it´s a game at first place...and games are supposed to be fun. ;)

Like my experience today.
      I play CG almost exlusively, because I really like it. But today I decided to play freeroll, just to try something different after quite a long time. I must admit that I didn´t pay too much attention to it, I was focused on this forum, thinking about hands posted in hand judge forum and occasionally made move, if window with opened table popped up...after quite a long time I started to feel a bit hungry. I checked the tournament and found I have 500k chips. Checked my position...5/46 (3600+ registrants). I was kinda surprised. I started to focus on play...but it was sooo boring...after another 20 minutes of push/fold, push/fold, push/fold i found that just 5 more villains were busted. In this moment I was playing that tourney for more then 2,5 hours. So I closed the window and went to cook myself a lunch. I think I earned $0,8 or so...yupee yaay yeey. :f_biggrin: Have to work a lot on my ability to focus on smth so boring (for me!) like MTT (it´s not about money, it´s about structure).

Cheers,
      Ondra
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      Yeah, cash games are more interesting. And you can stop at any time to take a breather.
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      if you have around 100$ your BR, then rush poker on FullTilt is a nice and fun way to learn playing by the chart MSS and see why 3-betting is good. It's pretty fast paced, so you will see results on your bankroll within 10-20 minutes, even if playing on 1 table :)
      I do advise you to watch cornholios videos on rush first though, to be ready for it....
      Good luck!
      duba
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      I'm far away from 100$ so I'll have to wait a bit.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Some good info ITT :)

I think there are so many factors to determine what you should play.

Do you have a hard time concentrating for a long time? Choose CASH you are able to sit out whenever you like and come back with a fresh mentality

Do you have trouble with dealing with variance? CHOOSE CASH tournaments are extremely high variance

Are you just looking to play for an evening for abit of fun and don't mind losing? CHOOSE TOURNAMENTS if you go deep it really is an amazing feeling and a huge adrenalin rush.

Are you not content at just winning what you bought in for? CHOOSE TOURNAMENTS you can win 100's X your buy in and really increase your bankroll by substantial amounts. Playing cash games can sometimes feel like a "drag".

In tournaments there is generally a higher amount of fish-reg ratio, in cash games even at 10nl it can be described as "reg infested"

There are literally dozens of reasons why you could choose to play tournaments or cash but I think it would be wrong to say "cash is better than tournaments" for you? Perhaps, for most people? Perhaps, for everybody equally? Definitely not.
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      Thx for your opinion.

Well, I won something today. No idea if it's worth anything. I won a ticket to the 2nd round of the Onyx Cup.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Thx for your opinion.

Well, I won something today. No idea if it's worth anything. I won a ticket to the 2nd round of the Onyx Cup.
      [img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaioD6nPF0K9mL3gPursrZLLmuAjOgB2vCN1s5R3dKqa-06jqR&t=1[/img]

Very nice! Good luck in that mate. The ticket is worth like $100k if you qualify right? Wow that would be pretty epic, keep us updated ya?
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      Don't knoe when it will be. Expiration date says December 31st 2011
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      Don't knoe when it will be. Expiration date says December 31st 2011
      http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/onyx-cup-series/how-to-qualify

well done! now you have to finish in top 100 in round 2 (this Saturday) and you are in final for 105k package!
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      Cool. Didn't know it was this Saturday. Is it possible to win several tickets or can you always just have one?

EDIT:

Checked it out. Already over 4,000 people registered. In the end there'll probably me more than 10,000. It will be difficult to finish among the first 100.

Too bad there's no money to be won.
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      Hehehe. Won another round 2 ticket.

And right after that I won a ME Race Round 2 ticket. No idea what that is good for, but I'll check it out.
    • Dumbledork
      Dumbledork
      Bronze
      Once again, I got the confirmation that cash games trump tournaments. I bought three entries to the Daily dollar, and won nothing.

Conclusion: in two hours I lost 3 dollars it took me a few days to win at cash games.