[NL2-NL10] Flops higher set but sucks out to fish

• EsarcWinterz
      EsarcWinterz
      Bronze
      All opinions are welcome. I tried to push both players off of the hand but it turns out the worse play wins.. I hate when chasers hit without thinking over their spots.
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $1.65
      CO:
      $2.23
      BU:
      $1.87
      SB (Hero):
      $1.02
      BB:
      $1.60

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5, 5.
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.12, BU calls $0.12, Hero calls $0.10, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.4) 9, 3, 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.20, BU calls $0.20, Hero raises to $0.90(All-In), CO calls $0.70, BU raises to $1.75, CO calls $0.85.

Turn: ($4.8) A (3 players)

River: ($4.8) 8 (3 players)

Final Pot: $4.8.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, fives(5 5).
      BU shows a flush, queen high(T Q).
      CO shows three of a kind, threes(3 3).

BU wins with a flush, queen high(T Q).
  • 6 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello Esarcwinterz,

According to the SHC, we do not call preflop ever! we cannot hit a set profitably with our stacksize

On the Flop I like your check/shove obviously if you hit your set but the main thing is that one has to fold preflop

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • EsarcWinterz
      EsarcWinterz
      Bronze
      hmmm, interesting.. I see.. so no matter what the circumstances, small pairs are a no-go.. one question, isn't it also a fact in the strategy guide that one definitely should mix up ones game to throw off opponents from time to time?

I play only 2-3 NL4 tables simultaneously and really stick to the solid poker strategy except for a very few hands. I sucked out pretty often due to the fish who see that I play solid poker and tend to call me down to 5th street, (on a bad day), and I will admit I still have some leaks that need to be sealed and will definitely go back over the strategy guides.
    • EsarcWinterz
      EsarcWinterz
      Bronze
      wouldn't mind also having some coachings here and there.. :D
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      @Gerv I have been looking into this setmining.

What would you say if we were the BB with 40BB?

potodds: 3BB+3BB+.5BB+1BB = 7.5BB : 2
      implied odds: 37:2 -> 17.5 : 1

Plus the fact that there is another caller makes the pot protected and we have more chance of getting action.

IMHO this is +ev although very predictable.
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Mineriva, dude I blew a huge portion of my BR trying this, the strategy is set that way for a reason mate. I really see yur ponit of view though because I thought about it myself. Over like 5k hands I found it did not work for me. Perhaps this is too small a sample but you're more than welcome to try over more hands and adopt the risk :)

Hope all is gd btw :f_cool:
    • MeanGreen
      MeanGreen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EsarcWinterz
      hmmm, interesting.. I see.. so no matter what the circumstances, small pairs are a no-go.. one question, isn't it also a fact in the strategy guide that one definitely should mix up ones game to throw off opponents from time to time?

I play only 2-3 NL4 tables simultaneously and really stick to the solid poker strategy except for a very few hands. I sucked out pretty often due to the fish who see that I play solid poker and tend to call me down to 5th street, (on a bad day), and I will admit I still have some leaks that need to be sealed and will definitely go back over the strategy guides.
      There's no need to mix up on NL4, since there's probably not a single opponent who pays any attention to how you play your hands. Deviating from basic play (or balancing your lines) is -EV if your opponents don't pay close attention to your playstyle. I'd say sticking to the basic play has the highest EV.