AK/AQ a leak for me?

• xxbeanxx
      xxbeanxx
      Bronze
      I seem to run into this scenario a lot..

I hold AK and UTG raises 3x. I reraise it up to 10x total, villian calls.
      The pot now contains ~22 BBs, my stack contains 30 BBs. Villian checks and I have to c-bet. Any c-bet here commits me so I just shove. The villian calls me down with a pair or better and I have to reload.

Am I playing this wrong or should I expect things in this situation to even out over time? Seems like I either win a small pot or lose a big one. Sometimes I suck out or I get called by a worse A-high, but the majority of the time I get called I lose my stack. It also seems that when I hit an A or K I rarely get the other guy's money.

Any suggestions?
  • 8 replies
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      which strategy are you using sss or mss? cos ive found this to be slightly true over my small sample in mss.
      not the post flop situation with the check but i lose alot of cash in my AK hands :<
    • DocBrown112
      DocBrown112
      Bronze
      Not really an expert on this, but I think it looks like sort of a leak. AK/AQ are "only" drawing hands and needs to connect be any good.

When someone else holds a made hand and you don't connect, you will lose - simple as that.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but I think that you only hit the flop 1 in 3 times, so if you lose your entire stack when you miss and only win smallish pots when you do hit, you need to re-evaluate the way you play those hands.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you how to play them :f_p:

Best regards
      DocBrown112
    • 0xiide
      0xiide
      Bronze
      AK is a good hand which yu will usually want to re raise with, but it doesnt mean to "have to" c bet" yu can check behind or just check and reevaluate your hand on the turn, , plus if you plan on commiting your whole stack before yu c bet a check raise all in is alot stronger than just c betting if yu have fold equality

On top of this callin a raise with AK pre flop or just re raisin to 7x would be a line to depending on how light your opponents will stack off post flop
    • xxbeanxx
      xxbeanxx
      Bronze
      I think I am going to try just calling with AK/AQ for a while to see if my win rate improves.
    • biogas
      biogas
      Gold
      U shouldnt play none of these hands agaisnt UTG raise, unless u know that villan plays too loose. Standart range for UTG is 77+, AQs+. So:

Player 1: 60.633 % 57.721 % 5.823 % 36.456 % 77+, AQs+, AKo
      Player 2: 39.367 % 36.456 % 5.823 % 57.721 % AsQs

Player 1: 55.771 % 47.634 % 16.273 % 36.092 % 77+, AQs+, AKo
      Player 2: 44.229 % 36.092 % 16.273 % 47.634 % AKs, AKo
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      Basic MSS tells you that if UTG raises you fold AK.
    • Slimijs
      Slimijs
      Global
      IMO, AK should always be a reraise, AQ depends on opponents.
    • pyure
      pyure
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xxbeanxx
      I seem to run into this scenario a lot..

I hold AK and UTG raises 3x. I reraise it up to 10x total, villian calls.
      The pot now contains ~22 BBs, my stack contains 30 BBs. Villian checks and I have to c-bet. Any c-bet here commits me so I just shove. The villian calls me down with a pair or better and I have to reload.

Any suggestions?
      Given the stack sizes you mention I'm assuming you're playing MSS, so based on that I have three suggestions for you:

1. Fold AK to UTG raise according to basic MSS strategy for full ring.
      2. You don't have to c-bet all the time. On a drawy board you don't hit you can check behind and re-evaluate the turn.
      3. Bluff c-bet size can be as little as half pot heads up. You can easily bet 11-12bb here and fold to a shove. If you get called and don't hit anything on the turn it's an easy check fold.

At the end of the day AK looks really nice, but it's still a drawing hand and needs to improve before you commit alot of chips.