Reraise with AK, villain calls 3bet, hero ?

• BadeaCelRau
      Another one of my MSS leaks.

I see there is a topic already opened but it's about reraising with AK an utg raiser which basic MSS doesn't cover.

I have more problems when I'm in the blinds I reraise the raiser from MP, LP and since all are calling stations they will call the 3bet if the hand looks pretty (AQ,AJ, maybe KQ, 88-JJ). Most of the time I don't hit and if I'm OOP (from the blinds) I'll fire a halfpot cbet if flop is right. Basically right not I could very well just go allin if villain reraises me since the pot is 1.5+18+20=39.5BB and I'm left with about 20BB. I got at least 6 outs and 25% pot odds. Sometimes my outs don't improve me because villain also has a K or an A which will give him 2 pairs or they have sets but other times they have midle pocket pairs like 88,99. I have no folding equity, they won't fold a second pair in a 3bet pot on a Q, J high board so check/raising isn't an option.

So how should I play? check/fold or just call preflop and go broke when I hit TPTK? I don't calling because I'll fold too often the better hand against a cbet when I don't hit and when I hit I feel like I'll win small pots but lose big ones against 2pairs,sets or AA.

If I'm IP, check behind or cbet on dry boards? Right now I'm cbeting and had mixed results.
  • 3 replies
    • Vepof
      Playing AK is easy.

You hit TPTK or better you bet/bet/bet/ raise...

You hit nothing and face resistance, give up right there.

Keep it simple.
    • foulkezboyz
      however the basic chart says we should be bet folding top pair until river, however i believe that logic is based on the fact our pair could become not top pair, so you raise a good point, In the case of AK we always hold top pair cos pairs of aces 100% top pair and only monsters can beat us, so it feels like we should be changing how we play that top pair, but if we hit a king on the flop i'd definitely go bet/fold.

not sure how id treat this one.
    • marlonmlk
      Indeed if you play like NL2 or even NL5, it's more common to see people calling 3 bet with alot of crap. And It's worst when they hit the flop and we don't improve shit.

In a multiway pot it's easier to get dominated by flush draws, sets, etc.

I have to agree with foulkezboyz, if you bet, and the people don't throw away their hands, and if you not improve on the next streets, plus you feel that you're beat, just fold it.

But keep firing, don't give free cards to villain. Expect on the long run to win money :D (That's how I think when I loose some pots lol)

I had this hand today, see If you can understand how important is cbet:

Hand converted with online hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, A.
      3 folds, CO raises to $0.17, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, CO calls $0.28.

Flop: ($0.92) 3, 3, J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.75, CO calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.42) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.42, Hero calls $0.80.

River: ($5.64) 5 (2 players)

Final Pot: $5.64.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and threes(Ks As).
      CO shows two pairs, jacks and threes(9h Jh).

Hero wins with two pairs, kings and threes(Ks As).
      CO wins with two pairs, jacks and threes(9h Jh).