Dead blog

• MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Thought I'd get another blog up and running as I'm really enjoying playing poker again at the moment and the whole poker experience just doesn't seem complete without a blog to go with it to track my progress (or lack of).

Anyway, I have played a few thousand hands to shake off the rust and now I'm fully back into the swing of things, and playing a few sessions a day. I'm playing NL5 FR and NL10 FR at the moment. I started with $83 and now I'm up to $174. I did get $35 of that from doing my new erm, I guess you could call it a job...
      I take some videos, transcribe them - I think that's the correct word, I basically watch a video, type out a timeline and what is said in that timeline then send off the text document and get paid $35 into my Stars account for each one. So that's going to be a nice boost for the bankroll once they start becoming more of a regular thing.

Other than that I've taken up snowboarding! Got a job in bar, which sucks but beggers can't be choosers in these bad times. I've also stopped smoking as much weed, which in turn has helped my personal state of mind which should help me in poker also. I was smoking near an ounce a week at one point so I think at least in one respect losing my old job helped me out. I still have the odd 8th here and there but I'm no longer a stoner 24/7!

Anyway back to the poker, I'm starting to get back into the groove now, and I'm 24 tabling at NL5! And 4 tabling NL10.. I know it against the standard BRM but meh I've been playing NL10 since I hit $120 in my BR, so sue me. I'm comfortable playing at NL10, but sometimes I really enjoy playing 24 tables so I do at NL5. I'll only be taking shots at NL25 once I have 20Bi's though, and then I'll probably move my multi-table antics to the NL10 tables should I get there :)

Oh also, play the odd MTT when I feel so inclined played 4 so far ... With a massive - No really wait for it ROI of 99.7% which equates to a humongous $6.58 profit :P

So far...

Not the greatest or largest sample I know but still, it's in the right direction and I had to start somewhere. :)

Yay some embarrassing stats!!! ?(

NL2 in the minus!! I have no excuses nor explanations..... Lol

Any quick maths heads amongst you may of noticed that the totals of profit doesn't quite add up, this is because I have a big of a problem at Stars regarding D/C's and my HEM software seems to get a bit retarded and miss out a few hands, Stars are apparently seeing about some compensation though, which will be a nice bonus as I only asked them if they knew what the issue was... However, I won;t hold my breath as they have yet to discover what the issue actually is.

Think that's all for now... :D
  • 100 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Had a bit of a frustrating session, nothing to major didn't even drop a whole BI, but I could of been pushing on the $200 door if some of my Aces etc. had held up ... This should tell the story well enough :P

Maybe could of got away from the AA hands but at NL5 you just can't tell if they have a set or top pair... Anywoo, that's all, break for 30 minutes and back to the grind :P
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Well something is severely wrong in the way I am playing right now I think, I really feel that I am also getting unlucky - pair these two together and I have a serious problem...

My biggest losing hand as it stands after 22,000 hands is Q,Q after being dealt this hand 110 times, it currently stands at -537bb/100 which is - $32 and a massive loss at my current stakes. Next in line of losing hands is A,Js.

I'm trying not to just see how much I've lost and really look through my hands to see what I could of done different, but generally I've run into sets on a dry board or just higher PP pre-flop against opponents that I'm yet to get any real history or read on. I can't really even say this is a down-swing, It's just a swingy period, so I am definitely doing something wrong.

I am however still in profit from my cash games, but from a high of $80 I've slowly managed to whittle that down to just $30! To give me a break from the cash tables I've started entering some of the low buy-in MTT's on Stars and my ROI is looking nice over a tiny sample of 10 MTT's I'm running at 157%, which equates to $21 in profits... So not as good as it sounds... I seem to get into the cash a lot but not manage to progress that far up the ladder.
      I'm not playing really tight when it approaches the bubble like a lot of people make the mistake doing, I just play my regular game, but I guess this is just a practice issues more than anything else.

I think one of my problems may be that I am currently trying to hit silver status on stars by 24 tabling NL5. After the Black Friday incident I did withdraw my roll from stars and deposit on Party - Which is soft as shit and I did make the majority of my NL10 profit there, but trying to get a game in the early hours of the morning sucks, so after the dust settled a bit and it seemed that non-US players funds were safe I just stuck the lot back on stars. After examining the loyalty structure for micros' and realising that it's a joke, just like their cash out times. I mean really Stars processed faster and they are having major issues right now?!
      I followed and am still following the whole thing very closely, because as bad as it is, it's also very interesting, at least for me.

Anyway, that's an update.... I guess maybe I should set myself some goals, although I have never been the best at setting realistic challenges for myself and I try over stretch my abilities and it usually just ends in disaster.

Maybe if I stopped taking long breaks from poker I wouldn't suffer these problems, but who knows.... Live play starts next week as a regular thing in my calendar all going to plan so I guess that will be as good a time as any to evaluate myself with a fine and objective eye and set myself some goals.

All in all though my mood is Chipper and I feel like poker is fun again even after losing sessions I don't feel down and it doesn't affect my mood. Not like when I first started I thought that a losing session was the end of the world Lol.....

Anyway after that rather drab post I think it deserves a thread saver...

Bankroll summary:

First Deposit: $83.xx
      Cash game: 22k hands, -0.46bb/100 +$30.59
      MTT: 10 played, 157% ROI +$21.23
      Cash From Transcribing poker vids: +$70

Total: $180.69
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Hey welcome back and good luck :)
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      I'll be tracking this new blog. Good luck man. We have pretty similar paths in our poker career, don't know if you remember me, we were playing each other at NL10 on FT like an year or two ago. :f_biggrin: I commented quite a few times in your old blog. I wonder why we can't beat poker past NL10. :s_confused: I'm also taking a new shot but at William Hill so we won't be facing each other for now. :f_cool: Would be interesting for us to share experiences and see if we can reach some useful conclusions about what we're doing wrong, if you're interested contact me on Skype I'm alexnmx there.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Funny thing, I was seeing my old poker blog, I also had that QQ leak before. In fact QQ was the only pocket pair I was losing money on and yeah AJ was also a losing hand. On this new shot I'm calling a lot with QQ, in particular vs. fish. 3 betting is just making weak fold most of the time. And going all in faces you off vs. a superior range, in particular vs. regulars.
    • Airrr83
      Airrr83
      Bronze
      Hey,

Good luck and i hope u will be sharing alot of info with us in your blog.

Best Regards Plami :f_p:
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Hey guys, cheers for stopping by and browsing my blog. :)

@ Steve, good to be back, seems you have cured your problems that you were having last time I was about as a regular on this site, check you out flashing ya gold staus ;)

@ Alen, yeah I remember you and will be looking you up on skype as soon as I finish this post :) .. I think that my leaks stem from mass multi-tabling and not really having a HH that warrants me making decisions based upon said HH but I still do if that makes sense in anyway shape or form :P ... Just tried looking you up, seems I have about 7 Alex's on my skype ?( Message me so I can see which one you are :P

@ Plami, Thanks for good luck wishes, I hope I'll be sharing lots of info too, and hopefully info that provides a route to winning poker. :)

Thanks all for stopping by and leaving comments :)
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Yeah. Imo you have to be REALLY good to multi-table hugely and still make a profit. When I 12-tabled, I was break-even EV at NL2, and then when I 4-tabled, I started crushing NL5. The difference really is that big. The big turning point with me in cash games was when I decided "Hang on, I play to learn, not to win money, so WHY am I 12-tabling?" After all, it's the micros, basically a practicing ground, since you don't make any really significant money there (Maybe at NL25-NL50 depending on your lifestyle and country you live in)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      @ Salivanth, Yeah I used to mass multi-table a lot but I think being out of the game for a while made a huge difference.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      You're back :s_cool: :s_cool:
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      You're back :s_cool: :s_cool:
      Noooo... :f_eek:
      :P

Yeah I'm back, just can't stay away from the felt :P
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      No one can :s_cool: Once you catch the Poker Bug there's no getting rid of it :D

EDIT: Awesome post count :s_cool: 1,111
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      GL!!

Re QQ, if its a dry board vs unk... you can always try to minimise the horror by just saying to yourself "vs unks I will aim for 2 solid streets of value, but not try to get AI"

i.e try checking beh/ the flop/turn in pos or check/calling turn oop.

if hes a know spewer then ofc, go for it, but these days the numbr of players who just call down 3 streets with 1 pair is small. So widen their range by going for 2 streets.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      GL!!

Re QQ, if its a dry board vs unk... you can always try to minimise the horror by just saying to yourself "vs unks I will aim for 2 solid streets of value, but not try to get AI"

i.e try checking beh/ the flop/turn in pos or check/calling turn oop.

if hes a know spewer then ofc, go for it, but these days the numbr of players who just call down 3 streets with 1 pair is small. So widen their range by going for 2 streets.
      Thanks for that mate, will definitely try implementing that into my game.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Thought I'd come by for a little update as I approach the 10k hand mark at NL10. It's going well at this limit but this is the only limit I've stuck to playing on 4 tables so I guess there is something in that ;)

Anyway here is the graph for just NL10.

Been a touch card dead over the last few thousand hands but I am becoming a lot more confident in my play and feel I am making the most out of the cards that I actually am getting. Plus, 9/10 times I'm making the right plays in marginal spots and controlling the pot size a lot better. I think Pot control was my major leak as looking through some HH's showed me I was bloating the pot a bit to much against opponents that were going to call me on all streets. Although, this is a good thing when I know my opponent is drawing and I already have my made hand, I found I was playing draws exactly the same way and that was obviously a problem if I missed my draw because then I am in the position of being on the river and have 50 - 60 BB pot and no hand leaving me only two options, Shove it in and hope I can get my opponent to fold or just check/fold depending on position.

I knew it was a post-flop problem by examining my Pre-flop positional stats and finding that all seemed to be in order, tightest from EP, then MP then blinds and then CO/BU. and all had a nice gap inbetween. If I was being picky I'd say that my CO VPIP was a little low being 3% behind my BU VPIP and so I've decided I'll try to up that a bit also.

I am also winning from every position except SB/BB and my SB is 50% less than my BB. So I think pre-flop I am playing a pretty solid game and now I've really started taking notice of my post-flop game things will only get easier for me. I hope so anyway. :)

Better add an overall graph as it's still not as good as it seems :)

Overall bb/100 = 0.28
      NL10 bb/100 = 7.62

I think the above just shows that I am no where close to be able to mass multi-table yet so I'll stick with 4 tables for now and maybe work my way towards 8 with 4 tables on each monitor so that I can follow all the action, and note down any reads on players / Tag the fish etc.

Bankroll Summary:

Cash game: 26k hands, 0.28bb/100 +$48.79
      MTT: 12 played, 134% ROI +$22.53
      Cash From Transcribing poker vids: +$105
      Stellar Rewards: $10

Total: $245.03

I am also working on a bonus from Pokerstars, and hopefully I can clear that before my $100 bonus at Full Tilt expires which both together should be a nice boost to my roll... I'm not going to over push for the bonuses, but if I can clear them then I will.... Oh yeah, and silver VIP at pokerstars now also. And may even make Gold on PS.com soon :)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Played another couple of thousand hands and going well at the moment, the best session was early this morning at NL5 funnily enough.
      I'd just finished work and got home around 5am and needed to wind down before getting into my pit to sleep away the day. Anyway, I was looking for some NL10 tables and they all seemed rather tight 18% via Pokerstars VPIP (which in my experience is at least 3 - 5% lower via HEM VPIP) so I thought screw it I'll look at NL5 and there was some nice loose tables. SO played for an hour and walked away 3 BI's up... Definitely a good choice. :)

Anyway got up today played a few sessions, and played well in those too (if I do say so myself) including a rather nice Hero call against the table donk who I had been studying carefully with A high which obviously bought a smile to my face :)

I've really started to focus on certain players at the table of late, the regs I will play a few small pots against gauge their reactions to different scenarios, note it down and use that to my advantage later on. The fish I use the same sort of tactic but as they are going to SD a lot more with the other players at the table it means I don't have to invest much if anything to form my reads.
      It seems to be working so far :)

Bankroll Summary:

Cash game: 28.2k hands, 1.80bb/100 +$77.06
      MTT: 12 played, 134% ROI +$22.53
      Cash From Transcribing poker vids: +$105
      Stellar Rewards: $10

Total: $273.30

As you can see slowly getting to the $300 mark, and my current plan is to take a few 2 table shots at NL25 when I reach $350. That's all for now. Good luck at the tables :)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Also, if anyone is interested I found out how to change the colours of lines in HEM manager graphs and also the thickness of the lines... Random, but if anyone wants to do this hit me up :)
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Welcome back, good to see you ;)

Bart
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      if anyone is interested I found out how to change the colours of lines in HEM manager graphs and also the thickness of the lines

Yes, I would be interested in increasing my thickness, please.

:rolleyes:

Will I ever grow up? Erm... no.