$8.26
      BU:
      $4.08
      BB (Hero):
      $4.35
      UTG1:
      $8.78

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, 3.
      UTG1 calls $0.10, UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.30, 2 folds, CO calls $0.30, BU folds, Hero calls $0.20, UTG1 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($1.2) 8, 3, 8 (4 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 checks, MP1 checks, CO bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, UTG1 folds, MP1 calls $0.50.

Turn: ($2.7) K (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

River: ($2.7) Q (3 players)
      Hero bets $3.55(All-In), MP1 folds, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.7.

Ok so Preflop I have to put in 2BB and getting 5.5:1 with about 20:1 implied odds HOW CAN I NOT CALL?

Jackpot flop: I check because I want to see if preflop raiser has overpair. My plan is to c/r the turn against the preflop raiser or c/r the flop against any other player representing the 8. When preflop raiser checks and last player bets I flat call hoping for a raiser behind (with the 8).
      preflop raiser calls!?

Turn: King is a nice card I hope preflop raiser bets AK. I check planing to raise anyone that bets. no bet :-(

River Qh. With no betting on river I hope someone made the flush so I ship.
      No call :-(

any comments?
  • 1 reply
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey mineriva,

I believe one can setmine when you fulfil the call20 rule and when you get such great odds as you did this time plus you have a multiway pot and you will more likely get paid off.

But the problem might become if you overdo the setmining, sometimes even when you get the odds to suit the requirements of call20 rule it's not profitable to make the call for set value for the following reasons:

1. When you think of setmining with SSS/MSS you're usually in the blinds thus OOP and it's much harder to extract value when you hit the set due to your position.

2. Opponent must be tight and aggressive enough in order for this to be profitable, because if you are able to only win the flop c-bet from the villain you will not make enough profit for all the other times you miss your set.

And how hard it is to make this profitable you can see from the hand you posted here. In this hand you've hit the nuts and you were barely able to extract enough value to make up for the times you miss your set which means you had to earn at least 8.5x the amount you had to call preflop.

So, in general, I am not saying to never setmine with SSS/MSS, just want you to pick your spots very carefully because not every spot with good odds is a profitable one.

About the hand, I like flop and turn, however on the river I'd prefer to bet like 1.7$ because a donkshove just seems so very strong and you want to get called as lightly as possible.

Best regards,
      burek2000