This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

NL 25 overpair on re-raised pot

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $41.99
      Hero:
      $24.50

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q:diamond: , Q:heart:
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to $1.00, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $3.00, 4 folds, MP1 calls $2.00.

Flop: ($6.35) J:heart: , 8:heart: , T:spade: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $4, Hero ?

Another interesting hand. This time I don´t give you options how you could play forward.
  • 9 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      I'd raise for information. He (almost) certainly doesn't have AA-KK, he could have flopped a set with JJ/TT, top pair with AJ or the OESD with AQ. or a flushdraw? Or just a bluff. so raise to ~14$. Turn & river I don't know, there's a lot of possible scare cards
    • Schelles
      Schelles
      Bronze
      I would raise to 14 too and fold to a re-raise
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Unfortunately on this hand I'd get stacked if he's hit a set.

The board is too drawy so I definetly can't just call and a fold is too weak. I'd raise to $15.50, and if he pushed I'd have to call since I'm getting 7.2-to-1 on my call.

My option to raise more than $14 is that since I'm gonna get stacked against a set anyway, I'm gonna try to extract the most from AJ, AQ and flushdraws.

Well, anyway, by raising $14, I don't see how folding to a push can be good. You'll be getting 5.6-to-1 on your call, and you still could be ahead.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      im pretty sure the guy has AJ.

i'd call fo' sho'.
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sw0ldo
      im pretty sure the guy has AJ.

i'd call fo' sho'.
      How could you be that sure? Please explain more. ;)

Good luck at the tables!
      -thunderbird56-
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Faye6891
      Unfortunately on this hand I'd get stacked if he's hit a set.

The board is too drawy so I definetly can't just call and a fold is too weak. I'd raise to $15.50, and if he pushed I'd have to call since I'm getting 7.2-to-1 on my call.

My option to raise more than $14 is that since I'm gonna get stacked against a set anyway, I'm gonna try to extract the most from AJ, AQ and flushdraws.

Well, anyway, by raising $14, I don't see how folding to a push can be good. You'll be getting 5.6-to-1 on your call, and you still could be ahead.
      :)
    • aanty2000
      aanty2000
      Bronze
      i would raise in this situation and if he pushes i will call ... we an overpair a gutshot and a backdoor flushdraw . i think we are often ahead in this situation .
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think there aren´t one way to play that hand correctly. I post it how I played it:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $41,99
      Hero:
      $24,50

0,10/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q:diamond: , Q:heart:
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to $1,00, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $3,00, 4 folds, MP1 calls $2,00.

Flop: ($6,35) J:heart: , 8:heart: , T:spade: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $4, Hero calls $4,00.

Turn: ($14,35) 2:spade: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $9, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $23,35

I took conservative line, because MP1 seemed solid player. He wouldn´t raise/call my hand with AJ, AT. So he probably had JJ or TT. I had probably 6 outs, so I called his flop bet and since he bet out quite big on the turn, I folded. Re-raising and calling a shove is also fine on that scary board and a lot depends on your opponent.
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Wp.
      If he is a solid player , he knows you reraised him pf so you are probably on AK, QQ+.he called your raise and showed strenght in his flop and turn bets. I ´d play the same as you did