[NL2-NL10] NL6 SH - QQ on 4bet pot A high flop

• luizsilveira

Villain is somewhat fishy, 60/25 overall, but at this point we were 3 handed.

This is the hand:

Pacific Poker - $0.06 NL - Holdem - 3 players

SB: $4.37
      BB: $6.30
      Hero (BTN): $13.99

SB posts SB $0.03, BB posts BB $0.06

Pre Flop: ($0.09) Hero has Q:heart: Q:club:

Hero raises to $0.18, SB raises to $0.60, fold, Hero raises to $1.80, SB calls $1.20

Flop: ($3.66, 2 players) 6:heart: A:heart: T:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.60, fold

Hero wins $3.48

Now... I must confess the flop bet was more of a reflex than a thought out bet. I wanted to represent the Ace, it often works, the villain is weak, so I bet.

But afterwards I thought this bet would make MUCH more sense out of position (where I wouldn't want to be taken off the hand by a bluff).

But in position... would this bet just isolate me vs. his top range (like AA, AQ+, TT) and make him fold worse than mine? While checking behind I may induce bluffs on turn/river.

The only hand I could see he *might* fold there that beat me (but people often don't) is the KK. But then again, with KK he would probably have pushed pre-flop.

So he will fold all JJ, 99, etc., KQ kind of trash, but call me with everything that beat me (Ax or TT).

Now... last thing: is the bet good at least for protection? The board is drawy, as he could have hearts (no so likely) and some sort of gutshot broadway draw (more likely). Of course it would be just dumb to lose a 4bet pot for a turn or river flush, but in a sense I think he would call the flop anyway with hearts (1 price for 2 streets), and if I check behind and a heart comes he could at least bluff. And of course my Q is hearts, which takes one out from him and I have a good backdoor.

Anyway, any feedback on my thought process is greatly appreciated :)

edit: it's NL6, not NL4

edit2: and just to make the amount of my bet clearer, my flop bet put him all in.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello luizsilveira,

Yeah, on those spots I usually like to Check behind since there ain't just many hands from which we get value from. And as well there aren't that many suited hands which we should be scared of. More often you could still bet it on turn and where might some weaker pairs will Call you as well.

As you said yourself, that you are likely just isolating yourself there. He wont Call you anyways with worse being in 4bet pot.

Best regards.