Hi (I'm Mike from the UK)

• mikeyboy69x
      mikeyboy69x
      Bronze
      Hey to all the guys/gals on here.

I've not long started playing poker properly (about 2 months, but have played it on and off for a year or 2) i didnt realise how in-depth the game is if you want to be able to play for real money! :O . I've been looking at positional play, pot odds chip odds the lot, theres so much to take in.

Anyway, am 22 from chester - england. I've really took a liking to poker lately, watching and playing online. I decided to play a real game at a pub a few weeks ago...... out of 19 players i finished 11th haha, but i was pretty nervous about playing properly, and made a few fatal errors of judgement.

I've been trying to read deep into some real poker tips and ideas, but as i said before its overwhelming! (hope i'm not the only person to think this?)

Just thought i'd post, say hi and have a little whinge about poker! :D Love the game, but i still feel like i'm a big fat noob at the game :(

Mike
  • 13 replies
    • terpesheva
      terpesheva
      Bronze
      Welcome!
      You might have not chosen the best times to start playing online poker considering the news, but hopefully, you are unaffected by all this crap=)

As a beginner you really want to focus on BRM and you would probably want a copy of the Poker Mindset.
      Starting strategies might look rather basic, but you should really stick to them at first!

Best of luck in your poker career!!!
    • mikeyboy69x
      mikeyboy69x
      Bronze
      Hi Terp, thanks for the reply.

I must be living under a rock because i have no idea whats going on with online poker? could anyone give me a quick run down on whats going on please?

I will get hold of a copy of poker mindset and keep looking through the articles i had to read for the quiz, theres some really handy stuff in there.

Thanks again for the advice and reply matey. Ya never know i could be a future WSOP WINNER!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Mike
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Mikey,

I have friends who live in Chester, Chessire and Manchester so I know the North West pretty well.

Pub poker is pretty fun, lots of bad players and money can be made but the main point is the social interaction which is great. I was in a pub poker league in Sheffield that was really fun.

If you're going to start reading strategy articles there's no point jumping in the deep end. Start with the basic and beginner articles and slowly move your way up.

You never know, one day....

• mikeyboy69x
      mikeyboy69x
      Bronze
      haha, thanks for the advice pleno, yeh i will start at the basics, then move my way up, still cant believe how much advice and information i can get from this website, yet.....i cant remember how i actually found this site lol.

Plus i just recieved an email saying my capital is on its way, so hopefully i will be able to use that along with all the new information i'm taking on board and start winning some games :D FINGERS CROSSED!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by mikeyboy69x

Plus i just recieved an email saying my capital is on its way!

Weeeeeeeeeeeee, ship it!
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by mikeyboy69x

Plus i just recieved an email saying my capital is on its way!
      Hi Mikey,

Which poker room did you choose?

And this is the recent news that terpesheva was referring to.

Pleno is right too, pub poker is for social interaction and banter with your mates, not about taking the actual poker super seriously. Hone your skills online and with our educational material and I guarantee that you end up crushing the pub poker scene, whilst having good amounts of fun, too! :s_biggrin:

Keep us updated with how you get on, mate!
    • angleboots
      angleboots
      Bronze
      which one is best?
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Hi angleboots,

Do you mean which poker room is best?

That depends on a lot of factors. If you're looking for a free $50 starting capital, your choices currently are listed here:

Free $50 Poker Rooms

If you're looking to make your own deposit, there are more options:

Check out our great First Deposit Bonuses

Other than that, the choice of room really does come down to personal preference.

What game type are you planning to play?

If you need any futher help in making a decision, please ask away!

Best,

Marc
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
    • pea1984
      pea1984
      Bronze
      Hi Mike from the UK, I'm also Mike from the UK :D
      Orginally from Warrington so not too far from Chester, now living in South Wales though.
      I like yourself dabbled a bit in poker for a year or 2 then I found this place.
      Happy to say I have improved a fair bit since I arrived. Still got a lot to learn though.
      Hope your starting capital serves you well, luckily I've not had to make any deposits of my own since receiving mine and my BR is now around $200.
      What site did you choose to play? I started on Everest but have since moved on.
    • mikeyboy69x
      mikeyboy69x
      Bronze
      Hey Marc and Mike (lol)

I decided to go with FullTilt(good choice?) i've never used fulltilt so thought i would give it a go. I'm gonna keep practising n see where i go from there, i had my first game with the $50 capital yesterday, only in a small NL2 game, with $2, i finished up with $3.93, so its a plus!!! WOOO lol.

Where abouts in south wales do you Mike? if i ever get to $200 br ill be chuffed!
    • paulkitchen
      paulkitchen
      Bronze
      Hey Mike, greetings from Reading, UK :) If you ever want any hand histories reviewed, them I'm probably just about competent enough to review them :)

Cheers
      PK
    • pea1984
      pea1984
      Bronze
      Never played on Full Tilt so im not the best person to comment on that.
      Thats where we all start, I spent ages at NL2 with my BR going up and down all the time. My problem was patience and I took too many risks which looking back were pretty stupid (still prone to that now but nowhere near as much). Just need to stick to it and if your patient enough and keep working on your play im sure you will move in the right direction.
      Word of warning, don't try to move up levels too soon, I did this and it destroyed my BR for a while, even if you get it in good a couple of bad beats and your BR really suffers. I learnt this the hard way, wait till your roll is big enough to cope with the variance.
      I'm in Blackwood, it's between Newport and Cardiff.
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by paulkitchen
      Hey Mike, greetings from Reading, UK :) If you ever want any hand histories reviewed, them I'm probably just about competent enough to review them :)

Cheers
      PK
      and we also have our Hand Evaluation boards too where you can have hands reviewed by our experts.

Click here to learn how to post hands for evaluation!