Few questions

• furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Hello!

I've recently started playing 7 card Stud Hi and i have some questions.I come from a NL HE background (like we all do : :f_biggrin: ).
      So: Do i need to perceive implied pot odds differently and if yes,how?

Is it ok to multi table and to what extent and what can i do to keep track of dead cards more efficiently?

Is there anything else involved in notes on player that is'nt in NLHE?

What is the optimal stack to bring to a table in relation to the Big Bet?

Can i subtract only the Hi parts in the Silver Articles on Stud Hi/Lo,is that efficient? If not i guess i'll have to start learning Hi/Lo :)

Here are some stats on a session i did after watching Rainmans video.
      During current Stud session you were dealt 108 hands and:
      - saw fourth street 30 times (27%)
      - saw fifth street 24 times (22%)
      - saw sixth street 16 times (14%)
      - reached showdown 12 times (11%)

If i can get a coach feedback,would really appreciate it.
      Thanks.
  • 4 replies
    • terpesheva
      terpesheva
      Bronze
      Minimum stack will naturally be just over the maximum possible betting amount is all streets are capped.

Hi/Lo is a completely different game. It won't help you at all imho.

Notes on players: you can't really use stats in stud, so you have to rely on the notes. See how villains play their hands and note their behaviour. This way you'll know what hand they are likely to hold.

Implied odds: same principle as in any fixed limit game. You estimate how many BB the opponent is likely to give you.

108 hands is not really a sample size. But stats are not relevant any way because there are way too many possible combinations considering the dead cards. You'll need a few thousand hands to even start thinking about looking at them.

Now when FT and stars
      are having problems you won't really have many chances to play stud HI, or especially Hi/Lo.

Multitabling at low limits is a must because otherwise you'll never beat the variance :f_biggrin: Play the "memory" game to improve card tracking.

And if you are serious about stud, but the sklansky stud book. That's the bible.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      And other than the sklansky book,i read in the basic article on stud that ray zee has a good book too.Anyone read it or any reviews on it?
      Is it better if i read the fixed limit odds and pot odds article,than the NLHE one?
    • terpesheva
      terpesheva
      Bronze
      Stud is a different game, so reading Holdem articles might mislead you. There is an extra betting round in stud and there are no community cards like in Holdem. However, there are dead cards that you need to account for. Essentially, all odds calculations come down to outs=) But if you do not understand how odds&outs are calculated, you better focus on basic Holdem articles.

Sklansky, Malmuth & Zee wrote the book on Stud Hi that is the only book in the world (to my knowledge) that teaches you advanced stud. Others are rather basic and they are not likely to give you any edge over any semi-decent opponent who knows the rules of the game. There is a section on stud in SuperSystem2, but its rather useless compared to Sklansky's work of art.

If you wan hi/lo games, then Zee wrote a book on Stud8 and Omaha8 (2 games in 1 book) which is also really good to read.

Both books published by 2+2.

Just keep in mind that having stud as your main game is rather hard: there are not that many stud tables around.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Thank you for the constructive feedback,much appreciated.

Sklansky,Malmuth and Zee it is then. :)