Hello there from Amsterdam

• AceFromMase
      AceFromMase
      Bronze
      Hello there everybody. I’ve been lurking these forums for a while now so I thought it about time to say hi.

Hi!

A bit about me –

My names Mason, I’m 26 years young originally from New Zealand, I lived in Australia for a few years then made the move over to Europe. After travelling the continent for a while I done a brief stint in the UK then I moved over to my favorite city on earth – Amsterdam baby! Its where I’ve been living for the last couple of years, I’m currently working as a tour guide around the city telling people the history and unique stories that make this city tick. It’s a pretty sweet job most of the time and I don’t have to work 40 hours a week. It gives me time for poker!

My poker history –

I got introduced to poker about 6 months ago. Me and my friends were down at one of our local bars and they had a chip set so a couple of friends my mine who play a bit thought we should have a game. They sat me down and briefly explained the how the game works. I had always seen poker around as it became more popular over the years, on tv and such, so I had a tiny understanding of hand strengths and the like. I sat down and lost my 5 euros rather quickly. But afterwards I was hooked. I have always loved playing cards, all kinds of card games and I still remember my dad trying to teach me how to play 5 card draw when I was like 10. So, for the next few weeks every time my friends and I were at the pub I would be dragging out the chip set. I came second in the second 5 euro tourney for my money back! My first cash!
      I soon found online poker. I actually started on just some random free texas holdem site just for play money - randomly playing before bed and before work. Then I found poker stars. I started on the free rolls and after a few weeks of playing one a night getting tiny cashes like 8 cents and shit I finally won like a dollar on the Sunday 1000 guarantee. So I started hitting the 10 cent 180 man sngs. I grinded my way up to about 20 bucks winning a couple and final tabling a few. But I soon got bored and decided to try some cash games… so dumb… I never played cash online and was out of my BR so I
      quickly lost everything!

Then I found poker strategy. I was dubious as hell at first about the 50 dollar starting bonus… I was thinking yea right they will want me to enter my bank details, give them my mum’s maiden name and ask for a copy of my birth certificate. But after the very polite Indian dude gave me a call and asked a few questions I knew it might be for real. As I checked my full tilt account it was like one of those moments when you just sit there blinking in astonishment at the pretty little 50.00 USD. So I started playing again. I realize now how stupid I went about using my 50 bucks but I’ll tell you. I started in cash again… I had done a bit more study so my game was a little better. The first couple of days I done really well and was up like 35 bucks. Again I was playing out of my BR on the 5/10C tables. But I was playing tight and pretty well. But I was only one tabling which I now know is really stupid. The next few days brought me back down to earth. Losing all my winnings and getting down to like 40 bucks so I turned to the 1.10 Sngs on FT. Again, really stupid I know. I won’t bore you with everything but after winning and losing for about 2 months the losing finally was the winner and I was broke again. Bah!

My best achievement in those months was at a live game. There is a bar where a few poker players come in for a 20 euro 3 table tourney and a cash game after. After bubbling the tourney I put a whopping 5 euro on the cash table to cash out for 80 euro. The next week was the same, lost the tourney brought in for a 10 at the cash to walk out with 180 euro. Wasn’t that hard really, everyone has a few drinks and this is Amsterdam so a few smokes and I just sat there and played tight. I think I played like 15 hands and my wins at showdown were 100 percent. My best online was coming 22nd in the daily dollar rebuy for like 50 dollars. But I was so close to the final table and after playing for 8 hours I got my AK 3bet called by AJ and my shove on a King rag board called to lose to runner runner straight! If I wasn’t so tired I would have broke something.

So where I am now –

I put some money into pokerstars and am currently 8 tabling the 2/5C tables with a starting BR of 100 US. But I only seem to be breaking even at the moment. Hot streaks are followed by mind blowing down swings and after a few thousand hands I am 10 down… grrr. So I’m going back to the drawing board to do some more study and find my leaks. I know where a lot of them are, calling out of pos with marginal hands, not knowing when to lay down my mid to low pocket pairs, that kind of stuff. But I know a lot of it is psychological – if I get a few bad beats I will be the first to say that I can tilt and if I get stuck a bit I will take more risks than when I’m up. So I’m aware of it, it’s just going to take some self training to get through it.

My goals for poker are pretty simple. To be able to make some extra euros a month would be cool. And if I could move up the stakes it would be awesome.

Sorry for the massive post and congrats if you read it all. But it felt good to get it off my chest.

So, if anyone has some advice or just wants to chat hit me up.

Oh, and if anyone is coming to Amsterdam send me a message and I can give you a tour and show you where there are some fish to catch.

Peace, Love and other drugs!
  • 16 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Mason,

Firstly... WOW at that introduction, surely the greatest ever on PS?

What made you decide to come to Europe? It's funny because the "in" thing to do in the UK is move to Australia and travel around Asia - Thailand etc. Anyway your job sounds awesome and I bet you meet so many interesting and different people. Very jealous!

The rake at the micro games are so hard to beat, however the competition is very soft and if you "grind it out" I'm sure you bankroll will head towards 4 figures sooner rather than later. You are obviously a very clever guy, you should be able to achieve a decent BB/100 and move up the stakes pretty smoothly.

One thing I would advise would be to try and avoid the tilting part. This may come across condesending as I have broke 5 computer mouses in 2011 but it really is such a crucial factor when tyring to maximise your win rate.

Are you playing the 6max or full ring games? One piece of advice I'd give you for the micros is to watch micro videos and read micro articles. This might sound obvious butI know who have played 50nl and under and have watched certain training school videos from 400nl+ and wondered why they have lost money.

You have to realise who you are playing against and how to best exploit their weaknesses, at the micros, you simply have to have a tighter range but wider value range and bet bet ber for value when you have a hand as they usually are incapable of folding any pair :f_biggrin:

Good luck and please keep us updated :s_cool:
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Mason!

Huge welcome to our community!

I think you've just posted the longest EVER introduction! Am I right guys? :D

First of all, what took you so long to come say hi to us? We are not that scary, are we? :f_eek:

As I checked my full tilt account it was like one of those moments when you just sit there blinking in astonishment at the pretty little 50.00 USD
      pretty cool right?

I loved your story and went all the way finished reading it. Thank you for sharing it with us and give us a little insight of how your world goes around poker.

Can you post some graphs on your game? So we can take a look here and give you some input!
      YEAH we do that!! :f_love:

Also, I thought in exchange of your superb long post we should give you an introduction of ourselves! I am sure the guys will be popping by to greet you and give you some of the poker expert thoughts on your game! Don't forget the graphs!

A little about me, my name is Ingrid and I am one of the HeadAdmin here (but really just an addict to this community and its members) and you'll see my posts pretty often here. I also got the poker virus in me ;) and have my very first challenge against pleno1 on the 9th of May. You'll have to tune in! I am pretty sure he is rushing by to comment on this as he is afraid loosing for the second time against me :D

Looking forward to see you on the forum
      Ingrid
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      Great introduction!!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey Mason,

Originally posted by IngridN

A little about me, my name is Ingrid and I am one of the HeadAdmin here (but really just an addict to this community and its members) and you'll see my posts pretty often here. I also got the poker virus in me ;) and have my very first challenge against pleno1 on the 9th of May. You'll have to tune in! I am pretty sure he is popping by to comment on this as he is afraid loosing for the second time against me :D

You're going to have to be faster than that Ms Head Admin.

• IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hey Mason,

Originally posted by IngridN

A little about me, my name is Ingrid and I am one of the HeadAdmin here (but really just an addict to this community and its members) and you'll see my posts pretty often here. I also got the poker virus in me ;) and have my very first challenge against pleno1 on the 9th of May. You'll have to tune in! I am pretty sure he is popping by to comment on this as he is afraid loosing for the second time against me :D

You're going to have to be faster than that Ms Head Admin.
      Ok!! this time you were faster Mr. SuperDuper Moderator! :D
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Awesome stuff mate, I've only been in Adam over New Year's, but next time I drop by I'll certainly give you a shout ;)

Welcome to the community, very glad you joined us!
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      World class introduction thread, well played that man! :f_thumbsup: :f_thumbsup: :f_thumbsup:

Also, I thought in exchange of your superb long post we should give you an introduction of ourselves!

Here goes!

The name's Marc, from the UK, and I'm working on making the Customer Service team for PokerStrategy.com absolutely rock! By day I'm a Customer Service Manager and by night (and by day, too) I'm a confirmed poker nerd. I'm an Amsterdam addict (been at least 10 times in the last 4 years) and have attempted to learn Dutch on more than one occasion. Melvin will confirm that I've not exactly been succesful, but if you put a gun to my head I could probably order steak and beer. What about you? Trying to learn Dutch? Pretty tricky when they all insist on speaking perfect English all the time, eh? :D I like to hang out in de Pijp to practise, or at this bar!

Once again, great introduction!
    • AceFromMase
      AceFromMase
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for the replies. I love the community here!

@ Pleno –

Thanks for the input mate. I’ve done a bit of reading and watching on the micros but I haven’t done any study for a while. I have this terrible tendency of getting a really itchy mouse finger when I start reading and watching anything poker related and just have to start playing. But I’m going to try and devote at least one hour a day to poker study. Oh and I am currently playing the full ring games.

I know the tilt factor hurts my game and I am really trying not to take the bad beats so badly. But god it’s hard. I had a good old chuckle when you said you had broken 5 mouse’s this year already! Luckily my mouse and both my monitors are still in working order, but there have been some close calls!
      As for why I moved over. As they say mate – ‘’the grass is always greener on the other side’’. I know how many people from the UK move over to Aus and NZ I used to live in Bondi beach for 3 years and it was full of Europeans willing to sell their left testicle to stay in the country while I couldn’t wait to get to Europe! Luckily my father is English so I have the best of both worlds! A NZ and British passport! Spoilt I know. I just love the history and culture here. I’ve always been a bit of a history buff and to be surrounded by it every day is really awesome. And there is a bonus to living in the centre of Europe everything is so bloody close! Whereas if you live on the bottom of the world you have to pay a ton of money to get anywhere!

@ Ingrid –

I’m not sure why it took me so long! I guess I was just waiting for the right time. And as I am taking poker a bit more seriously now I thought the time was right! And I think after a few bad down swings a little advice from some more experienced players goes a long way.

I will be posting some graphs and a few hands but I think I’ll wait to the end of the month to post my April graph. Right now it looks like the Rocky Mountains with bits of the Grand Canyon thrown in!

I will definitely tune in to your match against Pleno! I can’t wait to the read the forums after the match! The bragging rights are going to be worth much more than any amount of money!

@ Hadi –

Hey mate, Amsterdam over new years is definitely one kick ass time! I spent it on a rooftop in Dam square with a 360 degree view of the city. Was absolutely fkn amazing!

For sure man if you’re in town give me a shout!

@ Marc –

Well, I think your attempts to make the customer service here on PS rock, is working pretty well! This is a world class site and its employees are some of the friendliest I’ve come across!

Good to meet another Amsterdam addict! If you’re ever in town and want to catch up for a beer give me a shout. Ya mijn Nederlands is niet zo goed meneer. I know what you mean about them constantly speaking perfect English! I think if I lived in any other country I would have picked up the language by now. But oh well, I’m just an ignorant westerner who believes everyone should speak the Kings! Haha no, but it seems these days they do!

Geez another long post! Can anyone tell I like to write!? Maybe I should just start a blog. It would probably be good to get some of the things off my chest after a night at the tables.

I played a couple thousand hands last night. Again, started off really badly getting sucked out on and it seemed like nothing was going right. After my set of kings got busted by runner runner flush. I 4 bet this guy who pushed the K high flop with KQ of diamonds to suck out on me. Rage was quickly followed by sorrow as I started sobbing into the keyboard and cursing the poker gods and wondering if it was all a waste of time. I took a deep breath and decided to keep playing. The gods must of felt sorry for me because I started running really well and hitting everything, It helped that a couple people’s heads started exploding and some very questionable moves were put on me.. I also put a couple bad beats on some guys. Hitting my set on the river…. I told them they should have bet the turn! So I guess it evens out every now and then. I was 15 bucks down in the first 45 mins and finished 15 bucks up… So it could have been worse.

Well, thanks for reading and thanks again for all of your warm welcomes.
      Oh, one quick question. I made my Poker stars account before joining PS is there any way of getting SP or is it a no go? I know the answer in the forums somewhere but I thought I would ask!

Thanks!

• IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AceFromMase
      Hey, thanks for the replies. I love the community here!

@ Ingrid –

I’m not sure why it took me so long! I guess I was just waiting for the right time. And as I am taking poker a bit more seriously now I thought the time was right! And I think after a few bad down swings a little advice from some more experienced players goes a long way.

I will be posting some graphs and a few hands but I think I’ll wait to the end of the month to post my April graph. Right now it looks like the Rocky Mountains with bits of the Grand Canyon thrown in!

I will definitely tune in to your match against Pleno! I can’t wait to the read the forums after the match! The bragging rights are going to be worth much more than any amount of money!

Well, thanks for reading and thanks again for all of your warm welcomes.
      Oh, one quick question. I made my Poker stars account before joining PS is there any way of getting SP or is it a no go? I know the answer in the forums somewhere but I thought I would ask!

Thanks!

I can give you already the little scoop of our first match, just read here. You can also see what reaction came after that =)

Regarding your question, unfortunately we are unable to re-track any existing poker accounts which you may created before registering through PokerStrategy.com. That's a house rule.

We are looking forward to your graphs and also maybe a poker blog soon ;)

Ingrid
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      definitely start a blog.

like, seriously, right now. :s_biggrin:

and next time I'm in Amsterdam I'll defo take you up on that beer :)
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey AceFromMase,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com and the community.

As everyone else has said previously, such a great introduction post. :s_cool:

I see you lived in Australia (where I'm from) for a few years, where did you stay and what was your main reason for being here?

I'm quite jealous of your current place, Amsterdam. I've actually planned for next year to travel Europe and the one area I've really been fascinated by is Amsterdam. I might have to take up one of your tours hehe

Goodluck in your future endeavors and can't wait to hear some more about you.

Regards,

Kyle.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hey mate, Amsterdam over new years is definitely one kick ass time! I spent it on a rooftop in Dam square with a 360 degree view of the city. Was absolutely fkn amazing!
      Haha that's awesome, I was down at Dam Square, too - but I was down there, right in the crowd :D
    • AceFromMase
      AceFromMase
      Bronze
      Hello again,

Another beautiful day in Amsterdam. Its going to be one kick ass summer... the only down side is you feel a bit bad playing poker when its so nice out! bah... nvm. I'll go down the park and play some cricket tomorow.

@ Kyle,

Ah, so there are some aussies running the site too! cool, sorry about the cricket mate!

Where abouts in Aus are you? I done a bit of traveling up the east coast, but I spent a bit of time in Melbourne, about a year, dont know if you know it but around the Vic markets. Great steaks and shrimp!. Then i made the move to Sydney. Where i lived in Bondi with the rest of the Kiwis and Irish. Pretty much i moved over because of work. I was working in Construction for a few years. got in with a good company that done a lot of the big government jobs. They paid me a mint and even offered to send back to Uni so i could run my own jobs in a few years... its not what i wanted to do with my life so i bailed!

Good stuff for planning your trip to Europe. I gurantee you'll have an awesome time if you can get over the weather and the shitty exchange rate!

And if you drop by Amsterdam i'll give you a tour and show you some top spots.

errr, this change of weather has messed up my body and i've got a cold... time to eat some oranges.

Later all
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AceFromMase
      @ Kyle,
      Ah, so there are some aussies running the site too! cool, sorry about the cricket mate!
      =) he is our SuperCoolest Aussie! right Kyle?

I vote for oranges always the best cure!

If you want to read more from Kyle, take a look here.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Even though I have the Dutch nationality: I live in Denmark but I will be returning to Amsterdam in Mid-May so if you would be so kind to give me a link of your tour guide thing. I am travelling with friends and they want these sightseeing things ofcourse :)

I expect the weather to be good for a beer at Leidsenplein =)
    • AceFromMase
      AceFromMase
      Bronze
      @ Gerv.
      Hey buddy, sorry it took me so long to reply. Ah, cool if your coming to Amsterdam i could happily give you and your friends a tour. I freelance for a company and dont have my own site. But i could taylor a tour to suit you and your friends. I do General historic tours around the city by foot. Tours through the red light district or weed tours. It kinda depends on what you are after. I would recommend renting a few bikes and i could take you around and stop here and there talk about the sights and stop for a few beers around the place!
      You can email me @ yuri.mason.cartland@live.com.
      Hope to hear from you soon!