article on getting your money out

• 6 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      That doesn't apply to us. We can already withdraw.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      That doesn't apply to us. We can already withdraw.
      See the definition of "compensatory damages." The money won by non-US players IS at risk, although the article says that the money merely deposited is not.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      US law isn't going to apply to money held under the jurisdiction of the Isle of Man.

If you think you need to cash out then do it right now while withdraws still work. Don't rely on some article written by an American who isn't a lawyer and knows nothing about the corporate structure of either Stars or Tilt.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      US law isn't going to apply to money held under the jurisdiction of the Isle of Man.

If you think you need to cash out then do it right now while withdraws still work. Don't rely on some article written by an American who isn't a lawyer and knows nothing about the corporate structure of either Stars or Tilt.
      I've been looking at other fora that do permit American members, and on them there is a lot of chest-beating by Britons who are sure their government will protect them from the big bad Yanks. But the fact is that the U.S. government is seeking seizure of bank accounts not just in the United States but all over the world, including Canada, Britain and even Switzerland. More to the point, there is a clause in the indictment that says: if the money deposited by American players doesn't cover what we're asking for, we're entitled to seize other assets as compensation. Whether they can pull that off is an open question. I'm not saying everyone is guaranteed to lose their money. I'm saying there is RISK that European and British players will be affected.

As for me, I have no money on Stars and about $52 on Full Tilt. The only way I can withdraw is by check and the minimum check cashout is $100, so I'd have to deposit first--ha ha. I could transfer the funds to someone, but Tilt first requires me to "establish a successful deposit history" which means I have to wait until May 20th, if Full Tilt continues to exist and be viable by then.

Anyway, I was just posting a link to the article in case people were interested in reading it. Your personal hostility is not warranted.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belayd
      But the fact is that the U.S. government is seeking seizure of bank accounts not just in the United States but all over the world, including Canada, Britain and even Switzerland.
      How have you not realized by now that all of those accounts are the personal accounts of the accused and are not accounts of Poker Stars or Full Tilt?

Calm down. Take a week off from poker. Withdraw from Stars and Tilt. By the end of this week we will know more.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Withdraw from Stars and Tilt.
      See my post above, Todd.