[NL2-NL10] NL5 JJ multiway pot

• acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Pre - I think calling should be ok here

Flop - I think this is a valuebet especially against Mp3 guy who has a lot of SC in his preflop calling range. And I can think UTG is very often folding here hands like AQ,AK and on the turn even an overpairs that beats me.

The question is how to play the river ?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5,05
      UTG1:
      $2,27
      MP3:
      $9,04

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:heart: , J:diamond:
      UTG1 raises to $0,20, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0,20, 3 folds, Hero calls $0,15.

Flop: ($0,62) 8:heart: , 5:diamond: , 4:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0,3, UTG1 calls $0,30, MP3 calls $0,30.

Turn: ($1,52) 6:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $1, UTG1 folds, MP3 calls $1,00.

River: ($3,52) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,3, MP3 raises to $7,54 (All-In), Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $6,12
  • 9 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello acceleration123,

Preflop: Against such a UTG nit is Calling definitely considerable.
      Postflop: I'd likely donk bigger on flop like $0,50. And on river you can even consider just Check/Folding since you wont get much value anyways from a lot worse, straights are possible, flushes are possible. A lot of SCs already made a straights or at least 2pairs which beat you as well.

Best regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Disclaimer: I've been posting frequently in other people's hand evaluations here... if I should not do that, please let me know.

About the hand, this river is always a difficult situation for me OOP. I always have the impression that by not betting I'm holding a banner saying "I don't have the flush, please bet and I'll fold".

So... I would either bet/fold (like our hero) or at least check/call (considering my check for the 3rd diamond might induce a bluff, say, from overcards). Unless I have a reading the villain is just to meek to bluff at all...

If hero check/calls a 1.5 or 2 bet for a 3.5 pot (which with the bet goes to 5 or 5.5), those are excellent odds for a bluff catcher aren't they?

Is my reasoning too wrong?

Cheers!
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      Disclaimer: I've been posting frequently in other people's hand evaluations here... if I should not do that, please let me know.
      Actually I am very happy - the more people discusing my hands - the more ideas - the more learning efect for me !

About the hand, this river is always a difficult situation for me OOP. I always have the impression that by not betting I'm holding a banner saying "I don't have the flush, please bet and I'll fold".
      Same for me, I´d say it depends .. station probably won´t bluff and I can check/fold. Agro guy could bluff so I can blockbet small maybe. But either way I don´t think that any reasonable player would call me twice on that board with an overpair or w/e. My line at his place would be likely to raise flop/fold just to find out where do I stand, say if I had QQ,KK,AA. But with overs like AK without any draw I´d probably just fold since this flop just smacks my pre calling range so much imo.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black

I am not a robot, so even I do mistakes. :D And always second thoughts are always welcome and I might even change my evaluation after them. So keep coming. :) Best way to learn to play poker is anyways posting hands and of course as well evaluating. But while there are just so many posts for you I guess it's easier to just post your own hands. :)

And about the river, I'd rather actually prefer to Bet/Fold than Check/Call. Just what worse hands will bet there? I mean which would Call the flop & turn. All the draws completed, what did miss? Nothing, there I don't like Check/Call on such a river card.
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      I actually like to comment on hands here of others as well, if I have the feeling I can say something about that hand (even though it could still be just the feeling) :D . And also to see what will veriz (or some1 else) say about the same hand later to check whether I am going fine with my thoughts.

Anyway I don´t try to comment on the hands where I have no idea what I´d do myself in that spot but I keep my eye on them to see what veriz is gonna say. :)

I think there is still some room to learn from other player´s hands as well as from your owns and I like it especially when I am somewhat lazy to post my own or I´ve already exceeded the allowed number for that day :D .
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by acceleration123
      I actually like to comment on hands here of others as well, if I have the feeling I can say something about that hand (even though it could still be just the feeling) :D . And also to see what will veriz (or some1 else) say about the same hand later to check whether I am going fine with my thoughts.

Anyway I don´t try to comment on the hands where I have no idea what I´d do myself in that spot but I keep my eye on them to see what veriz is gonna say. :)

I think there is still some room to learn from other player´s hands as well as from your owns and I like it especially when I am somewhat lazy to post my own or I´ve already exceeded the allowed number for that day :D .
      That was as well what I did do at my early poker career, I did post a lot by a lot I MEAN A LOT of hands as well and tried to evaluate too. :)
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by veriz

That was as well what I did do at my early poker career, I did post a lot by a lot I MEAN A LOT of hands as well and tried to evaluate too. :)
      Interesting, when talking about this, what do you think is the most effective way to improve ones game expect from posting hands ? Videos/Articles or something else ? Ofc probably the best option is to combine everything but what do you think is the most effective and even something that will make you not to forget the right lines.

I mean, I´d like to add something into my poker training that would make me remember the best lines and good ideas. Just started to write down some hand tips here from hand evaluation forum recently so I can review them later on easily. Don´t have any better idea though, any recommendations ?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      One thing what I do is, I play less tables. Lets say maybe 3-4 tables where I can take a look at the opponents actions. I do take notes at the same time, what I do and what other opponents did and of course a lot more futures. Plus while playing less tables you can as well concentrate more on just one opponent and not just auto-piloting and that's nowadays pretty important.

But for conclusion it's pretty long story how I would change my game-play, how I do play and what is the best and so on. I would need pages for that I guess. :D It's not something that you will learn with few days.

And about the effectiveness I'd say that very important is to post hands and as well discuss like you are doing. After I evaluate, you ask something. Try asking questions and think about the situations. Think, Think, Think. That's the most important part actually of poker. And as well the comments to reading articles and as well watching videos. It's as well very important part. Someday you just are a bit bored from playing for example, then you could take an article from pokerstratgy and ready it but it's not like you always have to read/read/read. And as for example I don't watch all the videos, I pick such videos which I find interesting. For example "nanonoko" or some mathematics analyze or something similar. Don't have to watch like all the videos. Because all the coaches may play differently and you have to find our own play and what suits for you and with what you earn money.
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Thanks for everything :) .