[NL2-NL10] NL2 MP3 JTs

• Biggles87
      Hi all,

I would like to get your thoughts on this hand.

Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J:heart: , T:heart:
      4 folds, Hero calls $0.02, CO folds, BU calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.08) Q:heart: , 8:spade: , 4:heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.08) 7:heart: (4 players)
      SB bets $0.08, BB calls $0.08, Hero raises to $0.26, BU folds, SB calls $0.18, BB calls $0.18.

River: ($0.86) Q:diamond: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.41, BB calls $0.41, Hero raises to $1.23, SB raises to $2.43 (All-In), BB folds, Hero calls $1.20.

Final Pot: $6.13

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Jh Th)
      SB shows a full-house, eights full of queens (8h 8d)

SB wins with a full-house, eights full of queens (8h 8d)

As you can see I lost. The guy was insistent that I was giving him the odds. I can see that after the turn he has 10 outs. Another 8, and a pair for any of the other 3 cards on the deck. According to my calculations he was getting 3.6:1 which is spot on, plus I suppose there was the implied odds that if he did get one of his outs he would most likely get my stack. Thoughts?
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      Hello Biggles87,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

About the hand:
      Preflop: Rather don't limp such hands. You will face a lot difficult spots and as well you wont play them profitable by just limping. Even raising would be better, although I would rather prefer to do it at least being on CO or even BU for the beginning.

As played
      Flop: Checking is fine as you played it passively although it's possible to bet as well here with the GS+FD.
      Turn: I'd even raise it bigger here ~$0,40. And yes he somehow got the odds, although I don't really understand his line.
      River: I'd say it's kinda close, I might even consider just Calling while the SB seems to be kinda conservative with WTS anyways and mostly has been winning 67%. And he might just fold all worse hands, maybe even not Call us with just Qx. Therefore skip the thin value, if we were against some stations it might be more considerable. But from his perspective I would even consider Check/Raising that donking this way, likely was just trapping with 1/2 bet and was hoping that some flush or Qx will raise you.

Best regards.
    • Biggles87
      Hi Veriz thanks for the reply.

Yes ordinarily I wouldn't limp with that hand in that position. For the most part I wouldn't play it in that position, but I hadn't had a hand in a while and didn't want to seem too tight. At least that's why I think I did it. Although you make a point that from MP3 I might as well have raised.

Yes I wanted to play it passively, as two of the players had checked it down, that only left the BU to get past, if he didn't bet. I would have preferred to see the turn card for free.

You are absolutely right about the raise size. I wanted to raise more but ran out of time, which I put down to inexperience. I should have used the time bank to get it right. Even if the guy still called and hit the river, at least I would have felt better about it and if he didn't well I would have won.

Yup, good advice. Taken on board.