[NL2-NL10] NL5 AK vs AA

• choppe024
      choppe024
      Bronze
      I wonder if I played this hand well or I shouldn't have raised after flop.

Known players:      
      SB:
      $5,4
      MP1:
      $4,38
      Hero:
      $4,78

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , K:heart:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0,10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0,30, SB raises to $0,80, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2,40, SB calls $1,60.

Flop: ($4,95) T:club: , 7:spade: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero raises $2,38 (All-In), SB calls $2,38.

Turn: ($9,71) 3:heart:
      River: ($9,71) K:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $9,71

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ah Kh)
      SB shows two-pair, aces and threes (As Ad)

SB wins with two-pair, aces and threes (As Ad)
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello choppe024,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

About the hand:
      First of all, add to full stack. :)

Preflop: I'd actually even consider just folding here, since SB line is really kinda strong or if you plan to go broke then rather just ship it directly preflop.

As played
      Postflop: Doesn't make sense to shove anymore. He most likely will have any kind of PP which is likely going broke anyways and when he doesn't he wont likely bet either and just Check through and you might even see free showdown.

Best regards.
    • choppe024
      choppe024
      Bronze
      Thank you.

to preflop: I just thought that AK is quite strong hand to go all-in. So are there situations when folding is the best?

to post-flop: I don't entirely get what "PP which is likely going broke anyways" means.
    • Duudalinja
      Duudalinja
      Bronze
      AKs is quite strong hand, but, for example, if there's 5bet before you would you consider your AKs is crushing everything? It's similar in your hand - SB made 4bet - that's usually sign of strength, so we won't gonna see bluffs there and against 4bet range our AKs doesn't seem so worth anymore UNLESS he's fish and he's just clicking buttons - you can just ship it then.

And postflop veriz means that shoving doesn't make sense as he will call with any pocket pair anyway and we are beaten by them, plus he will fold anything else that didn't hit, so by our shove there are not worse hands that can possibly call, so we're basically bluffing, but that's not gonna work in 5bet pots rly. :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      to preflop: I just thought that AK is quite strong hand to go all-in. So are there situations when folding is the best?

Not really, if we face such an action. At the best we might get a coinflip and as well could be basically far behind. Usually when there is another 4bet from blinds and as well maybe even from tight guy we rather have to think about folding than going broke.

to post-flop: I don't entirely get what "PP which is likely going broke anyways" means.

PP = Pocket pair and which is often times the hand which he is holding when he does Call our 5bet not much more unless he is really fishy player and even from them I wouldn't expect to do that. Therefore I'd just Check behind and be happy to see free showdown, although more often our A high just ain't good enough.
    • choppe024
      choppe024
      Bronze
      OK, I think I get it now.

Thanks to both of you for your advice.