AK leak

• jebozid
      Though I played only 1575 hands so far, I was looking at my hands and noticed a funny thing: I'm mostly losing because I play AK! Let's see the stats:
      Times dealt AK: 18

Total: -134bb (-7,44bb/hand)
      So either I win a small or medium pot or lose a huge one.

For comparison, I seem to do OK with other monster hands:

AA dealt 11 times, total: +262bb (23,8bb/hand)
      KK dealt 6 times, total: +59,5bb (9,9bb/hand)
      QQ dealt 8 times, total: +6,5bb (0,8bb/hand)

I think maybe AK is a too-expected hand, so when it hits the flop it's obvious and villains don't lose money. And when it fails - it fails miserably :)
  • 5 replies
    • Vepof
      Small Sample Size bro....
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      A couple of things.
      I tended to have a hard time letting go of AK & AQ

But they are NOT made hands, like the pairs, they are drawing hands

These are the Equity values for 4 hands played against 3 random hands:

AQs: 39.8 AQo: 36.8
      AKs: 41.4 AKo: 38.5
      AA: 61.5
      KK: 58.2
      QQ: 53.5

So you can see that AK is not so much a monster.

Just for the fun of it
      JJ: 49
      TT: 45

Ya have to be willing to let go of the Ax hands, even the big ones
      If they don't hit you have a drawing hand with 6 outs to make a pair
      Maybe a straight draw if you flop QJ, but that only adds 4 outs

cbet if you will, but be willing to chuck 'em if you get pushback

• jebozid
      You speak wisely VorpalF2F. I tend to have much less problem of releasing AQ than AK. I will now apply special attention to this hand. And not get married to it. :) It's just that it's hard to let it go if I get 3/4-bet before the flop and am holding AK. Opponnent always has a big pair in those situations and I guess that "coinflip" isn't really a coinflip, as I'm always a few percentages less favorite. And those add up, I suppose and in the long run make me lose money...
    • dubadal
      One problem which I had was pushing with AK after 3- or 4-bet pre-flop. It is o.k. to do often in small tournaments/sngs, but in cash you are probably much safer off flat-calling, if someone re-raised your initial raise and re-raising at all, if there was a raise from one of early positions.
      That obviously leaves room for all kind of junk hands to get in behind, but you actually have nothing against playing vs Ax, Kx type of hands our of position as you are favorite against them and will most likely be ahead, if you connect with the flop. Otherwise you should fold anyway, so no harm done (it's not 100% correct statement but you probably get the point).

Much depends on villains of course, but its scary how difficult AK is to play, even if it connects. I see actually more and more people playing AK/AQ call pfr, call flop, check turn, check/small bet river, even when ace connects on the flop. Probably due to too many people getting in with weird hands and playing those aggressively causing regular suck-outs. :f_cool:
    • vmarqui
      the sample is wayyyyy too small. don't make any conclusions yet.