Elements of Poker by Tommy Angelo

• GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      This is a cross post of a review I posted on my blog - I figured a lot of people would never find it there. I'm not a professional writer or reviewer and this is the first poker book I've ever reviewed (well, the first anything, in the strictest sense of the word).

4.8 / 5

I haven’t bought a poker book in 3 years so the mere fact that I ordered Elements of Poker speaks highly of the recommendations I had been given about it. I am here to add to that list of recommendations. I finished reading the book 12 hours after collecting it from my mail box. I didn’t set out to finish it that soon, and it’s a decent sized book — It’s just that easy to read, that enthralling, and that good.

There are passages and quotes that hit home hard and that will be read and re-read for the rest of my poker career. The book focuses on elements (144 to be exact) that Tommy has divided into several categories: Universal Elements, Table Poker, Internet Poker, Cash Games, Tournaments, Hold’em, Limit Hold’em, No-Limit Hold’em and Elements of Performance. As a primarily online pot-limit omaha cash game player you would think the book is largely useless to me. Not true. While a lot of the elements did not strictly apply to my branch of the poker tree there were certainly tidbits in each and every section that provided meaningful insight into my game. And I could tell that for someone who actually did have a vested interest in any of those said categories, the advice was very good.

Hell, the Universal Elements section alone is worth the book’s weight in gold. As I was reading the book I had in my mind that I would write a review, and give the book a score out of 5. After reading the Universal Elements chapter I was ready to give the book a 5. I don’t think I disagreed with anything in the book. The only reason that i’m knocking off a few points from a perfect 5 is that I wish the book went into more detail about a few points it makes. That’s not to say the book isn’t detailed – it is – it’s probably me being greedy and wanting the book to never end. I might have to shell out for some private coaching now (assuming he isn’t fully booked through 2035).

I don’t care if you have only been playing poker for a month or if you’ve been playing for 60 years. This book will help you. It will improve your winrate. A hundred thousand times over. It will save (and thus make) you more money than you can imagine. It will teach you everything you didn’t know you needed to know about poker, and life, and your poker life.

Elements of Poker isn’t about what hands to play, pot odds, reverse implied odds, check-raising the river or merging your range. It doesn’t preach poker theory and it won’t tell you how to play your hand. Everybody has an A game and everybody has a C game. This book is about closing the gap between the two (among other things). Imagine if your C game was only slightly worse than your A game. Just think about that for a minute. Imagine if you almost always played your A game and almost never your C game. Tommy doesn’t give you a 3 step guide to achieving this (nobody can do that) but he does give you the tools and knowledge required to get there on your own. I start working towards that today. When do you start?
  • 15 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Excellent review.

I think you will find the book even better the second time you read it. :f_love:
    • GailneyMill
      GailneyMill
      Global
      Thanks for sharing the wonderful review about the book. It's really informative.
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Is it possible to read it in ebook? free? :f_biggrin:
    • FakeLunatic
      FakeLunatic
      Bronze
      Ofc it is :D
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FakeLunatic
      Ofc it is :D
      of course what? ebook? share link please :f_biggrin:
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Elements of Poker: Tommy Angelo (Kindle Edition)

Don't be a loser life nit.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      @Godlikeroy - thanks for the great review. This was on my Xmas wishlist, but I'd forgotten all about it. Hmmmm... Kindle on PC or paperback...

@Tokyoaces - let them download the torrent, then bitch that they've got a trojan, and that their bankroll is now gone. :f_thumbsup:
    • 8412king
      8412king
      Black
      Does it cover the same material as the video series (the poker enlightment or something?) he made on DC or is a lot of new stuff?
    • skiffcz
      skiffcz
      Bronze
      What Ive heard (so take it with a grain of salt) is that the DC series is sort of "commentaries" on the book. In the sense that it is advised (not necessary though) to have the book read before listening. I have access to both book and videos, but I doubt Ill have time to check them in near future (exam time).
    • GraveGoods
      GraveGoods
      Bronze
      This is a great review. I've been stuck for my next book but I think I'll order this one now! Sounds great. Thanks!
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 8412king
      Does it cover the same material as the video series (the poker enlightment or something?) he made on DC or is a lot of new stuff?
      I haven't seen the series (yet!) so can't comment on this.

Glad everyone liked the review and book. Post your feedback in here once you read it :)
    • FakeLunatic
      FakeLunatic
      Bronze
      Its like a movie made from a book, similar, but alot of stuff missing. Video series are good, but if you want more, book is here.

Also, YinYang, if you want book, msg me, and I'll email it to you
    • clsrtotilt
      clsrtotilt
      Bronze
      Thanks for the review!
      That just helped me to start watching the DC series and probably will read the book also.
    • jebozid
      jebozid
      Bronze
      After reading your review and then the book, I have a very different opinion about it.
      Most of the book seemed to me like senseless piling of his "elements", which are mostly stuff obvious like sky is blue, 1+1=2 and such. Very little innovative thought, original ideas, or even advice on improving one's game. The thing that bothered me the most was that he just states random facts and rarely explains why he thinks it is the truth. If I'm going to follow someone's advice, he better gives me a reason to.

For example, one "element" was Hands on Face: "When you notice that your hands are touching your face, either raise your face or lower your hands, or both."
      Why?
      There are many more examples.

The part about Dollar Value was the only one I thought was written well, interesting, and with fine examples.

He does have an interesting view and approach on the entirety of the game, but me being an example-learning kind of guy, made me not see the greatness of this book.
    • DavidGarban
      DavidGarban
      Bronze
      Im reading this book right now too, just pick it up yesterday and I also would like to say is great. I buyed it because I saw so many good review on it and everywhere where they seem to have a clue are more and more. Here's the one that introduced me to it: xx in case anyone wants any extra info to GLR's.

Nice review GLR, definetly a good book.

I'll comment more after I finisht it completly.