Running bad keep going or slow down?

• jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      When people are running bad on sit n gos what do you usually do?Do you keep up the volume you usually play or do you slow down a little?Me i usually play 6 tables at a time but recently when down to 4 due to a downswing trying to preserve my bankroll.(Went from 100 BI BR to a current 80BI BR).I usually play around 20 games a day but I also cut down a bit to about 12 games a day.Just wondering is this the right way to go about things?
  • 4 replies
    • Ultifanatic
      Ultifanatic
      Bronze
      If you are normally winning by playing 6 tables 20 games a day, then there is no reason to lower the amount of tables or games til you determine what is causing the downswing. Instead what I would do is to increase the amount of study time and what you are studying. Then determine if the number of tables is a factor for your decision making or the length of time you are playing for is a factor for fatigue. If you can not tie your losses to one of these two things, then lowering the your number of games should not make an change on your losses. As for lowering the number of tables, this may be required if there is a facet to your game that has a large leak that you want to work on in a more precise fashion that requires more concentration, thus less games at a time.

So just lowering the number of tables or number of games without a leak to plug it just lowering the amount the leak is happening. The leak is still there and will still cause the same issue in your game.
    • orenha
      orenha
      Bronze
      for me it changes.
      if i loose due to bad luck (aa/kk cracked with awful cards... one outer... 80-20... u know the drill) i can stop play at that poker room for a day or 2

if its my decision that got me into trouble i take a short break and start playing again after it.

i play 4 tables at once... for about 2-3 hours. not a lot but i need to work....
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I'm not saying this is what you should do, but only saying that this is what I do

1. Take a day off and avoid poker completely
      2. Play on Stars or Party for a couple of days (I'm usu on Fulltilt)
      3. Play a couple of SnGs (I normally play cash games) -- you might want to switch to cash for a couple of days.
      4. Pull out the Advanced Open Raising chart, and never make an OR that isn't on it, and fold to all 3bets unless I know I have the stone-cold nuts.
      -- In other words, get nitty for a while
      5. Re-read all of the post-flop play strategy articles.
      6. Analyse the tournaments in a replayer, looking for plays you know are bad, and asking yourself how/why you decided to make those plays.

I don't do them all every time of course.

Things usually improve (or at least seem better) when I go back.

What always make me wonder, though is whether it would have been just as good if I had kept on playing.

--VS
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      Well I seem to be pushing/calling with the right hands in the late stages but seem to be running into bigger hands or getting sucked out although some are marginal hands aswell.I reliase this is a part poker and theres not much more you can do than gettin your money in good.Il try post up some hands tommorow in the hand evaluation forum to make sure im playing them right.Tables and time are definetely not causing me fatigue or anything like that as im quite comfortable with the current time and tables im playing.I was just thinking cutting down the volume would help preserve my bankroll during downswings.Definetely need to do more studying i admit but i currently watch about 2 videos a day on sngs and any sng live sessions on here during the week.Also do a bit of review on hold em manager.Plan on increasing time for study on poker in about 3 weeks when i finish up college when il have alot more time and can focus mainly on poker