suggestion for player ranking system

• belayd
      belayd
      Global
      The current system of ranking players according to rake paid on PS-tracked rooms is misleading. There are bronze and even basic players who earn 2bb/100 at 1KNL in non-tracked room, while there are platinum players who bleed money fishily at 10NL. I believe this misleads people as to the quality of advice and input. If a bronze and a platinum member disagree about something, whom are people going to believe? Yet sometimes the bronze player is actually the better player and offers more sound advice.

I propose that PokerStrategy implement a second, parallel ranking system that ranks players according to their level of play and their winrate. Whether such a system could be implemented or not, I don't know, because I don't know what tracking information is available to PS staff.

There is a second reason for improvements to the ranking system. The strategy articles are assigned to levels according to assumptions about players becoming better and winning more as they collect more rake. That assumption is not always correct. There is no reason for me to have access to silver-level articles while remaining a -8 bb/100 losing player. Ideally I should be able to read only the basic and maybe bronze articles. In fact, I have read only one silver article and found that far too confusing and inappropriate for my level of play to do more than skim the contents once.

Hopefully something can be done about this.
  • 4 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      lol so how can ps.com do it?
      and how isit going to be +EV for them?
    • DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      Not feasible, and not in PS.com's best interests whatsoever.

How are PS going to find out the levels/winrates of every player on the site?

If you're a silver level member and don't feel you're ready for the silver articles/videos, don't read them, nobody's forcing you.

If someone posts something on the forum and you don't know whether they're a winning player or not, whether bronze or diamond, take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Can see the logic (slightly) in what you're saying, but the cons >>>>>> pros.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by supeyrio
      lol so how can ps.com do it?
      and how isit going to be +EV for them?
      The second question is especially important. But note that, under the current system, I don't know whether you're a professional or near-professional level player, or just some fish who inherited a lot of money from his late parents (or, worse, gets a huge allowance from his living ones). Something should be done so that I have some reason to pay attention to what a diamond-ranked player says. Currently, I don't. This hurts PokerStrategy's credibility.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      this doesnt hurt ps.com's credibility. there are moderators and admins around. these are the people you trust. it has also been laid plain clear that higher rank => higher rakers. although generally, people who is capable of raking alot more is usually a more experienced player, i doubt anyone can be diamond that easily even if say he's fish playing high stakes. would at least a marginal losing rakeback grinder, who could also have more experience than the newbies anyway. lastly, even the best players could give poor advice, since they could just trollpost or whatever. is ps.com going to punish them for that?
      if the forum is sooooooooo regulated, then it shouldn't be a forum... if you have questions that desperately need the right answers, then do the appropriate research. if u cant, who's to be blamed but yourself?