[NL2-NL10] I slowplayed a flush... is this incorrect?

• hoonji126
      hoonji126
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.01
      MP3:
      $2.08

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:club: , 6:club:
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.05) 8:club: , 4:heart: , 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.13) Q:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.06, Hero calls $0.06.

River: ($0.25) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, MP3 raises to $0.46, Hero raises to $0.89 (All-In), MP3 calls $0.43.

Final Pot: $2.03

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows a full-house, queens full of eights (Qs 8s)
      Hero shows (Kc 6c)

MP3 wins with a full-house, queens full of eights (Qs 8s)

Do you think that the implied pot odds were great enough to justify the post flop call? I had an overcard and a strong flush draw. My odds were about 4:1 I guess, which would mean I would need to expect at least $0.16 in later pots if I called.

On the turn, I hit my flush, and for some strange reason I decided to slowplay. First, I checked, but I think a check on the turn wasn't so bad because I was pretty sure that my opponent would bet after me. However, after the guy raised, I merely called the bet instead of raising. I think this is where my biggest error lies!

What I'm curious about is what are the specific reasons why I shouldn't slowplay in this scenario? Is it because my opponent may already have a two pair or trips and very well make a full house on the turn, as he did in this example? Am I giving my opponents good odds for completing his full house by only calling his bet?

I'd really appreciate any comments on my logic!
  • 2 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello hoonji126,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Flop: Basically you could as well just donk yourself here and maybe even get some fold equity while with Check/Call you wont get much information from him.

As played
      Turn: No way I am going just to Check/Call it, definitely Check/Raise and not miss value from him. At some spots I might even just donk myself. And you shouldn't slowplay because you are OOP, will be hard to extract value and as well he could already be wanting to go broke. I'd ask you why should you slowplay? :)

As played if flop was Check/Called
      River: Don't really like the 1/2 donk here, you missed like a lot value here from him or just gave him perfect spot to hit his FH. I'd likely do it like $0,20. But as you went for such a small bet and he does raise us in freeplay pot I'd just Call it. I don't really see a lot worse hands raising us, only few Qx holdings. But while he could as well limp with those small PPs there which made now a FH or maybe even Q8 holding which is possible as well.

Add to full stack if you playing BSS.

Best regards.
    • hoonji126
      hoonji126
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply Veriz!

It's really motivating to be able to receive help like this :D