[NL2-NL10] NL 2 Out of Position KTo help please!

• Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for reading.

I'm curious about two things in the following hand:
      First of all, Was my line on the flop and turn sensible?
      I want to get better at the really difficult situations post flop and this is one of those difficult spots.
      Secondly, What would be a better way of dealing with the River?
      I'm dissappointed in my play for sure. How can I improve in scenarios like that one? I made a good but not great hand on the river and I'm faced with a re-raise.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.97
      MP2:
      $2.18

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.98 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:diamond: , T:spade:
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks.

called in small blind like hand chart said.. so far so good?

Flop: ($0.06) A:club: , T:diamond: , 8:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks.

on the flop I make mid pair but I'm really iffy on marginal situations especially when out of position so I check.

Turn: ($0.06) 4:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.06.

I feel the turn is basically a blank so I bet the pot with the intention of either scooping it up now, being called and then check/folding the river, or folding to a raise on the turn.

River: ($0.18) K:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.17, MP2 raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $1.89 (All-In), MP2 calls $1.29.

My fishy Gin card shows up giving me two pair. Thus far my opponent has shown no strength so I bet the pot once more hoping for a call. I was too enthusiastic with the raise button I think... I know this hand was poorly played because I failed to identify the nuts on the river and I was caught up in making two pair. What would be a better line in this situation?

Final Pot: $3.96

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP2 shows a straight, ace high (Qs Jh)
      Hero shows (Kd Ts)

MP2 wins with a straight, ace high (Qs Jh)

Thanks for the insight! I guess the Implied odds I gave him made the gut shot draw profitable after all :(
  • 5 replies
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      For me yor preflop play is kind of weak.
      I think in this spot you are facing a fish - limping from MP2?? What range can that we expect? Small pocket pairs and someweak Ax, Kx hands.
      For me you better raise preflop and contibet on the flop (if he calls you or raises you know where you stand- he than obviously has an Ax hand) or just fold the hand preflop and avoid difficult situation.

But Veriz is much smarter than me, wait for his reply :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Jimanyjerk,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Preflop: Don't like the complete at all, rather raise it up or just fold the hand. With such a hand you just putting yourself into difficult spots when you hit a TP or something similar.

As played
      Flop: You could try donking here and might even take down the pot. Definitely I wouldn't Check/Call it. Although just Check/Folding is an option as well.
      Turn: You can like donk it here when you didn't do it on flop.
      River: Wouldn't really say it's a gin card for you, while few draws completed and it's just a freeplay pot, you wont get much value from a lot worse anyways. Therefore basically I'd AT THE BEST would just Bet/Call here, although being in freeplay pot I'd just Bet/Fold it, seems like we are beat. Maybe some kind of slowplayed set or as well could easily be QJ. His raise is pretty big as well which is representing a strong hand. I guess we likely beat only few hands like K8 and that's all.

How can I improve in scenarios like that one?

Best regards.
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Thanks again for the Replies guys! I just need a little clarification.

The Starting Hands Chart seemed to state that my pre-flop play was Appropriate. I know the SHC should not be considered the best play at all times, but what in this hand makes it better for me to raise from the small blind instead of call?

My guess is that the MP2 limper is probably fairly fishy according to you and should be taken less seriously as a player who would call a pre-flop raise?

Any clarification would be helpful

Thanks again.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Jimanyjerk
      Thanks again for the Replies guys! I just need a little clarification.

The Starting Hands Chart seemed to state that my pre-flop play was Appropriate. I know the SHC should not be considered the best play at all times, but what in this hand makes it better for me to raise from the small blind instead of call?

My guess is that the MP2 limper is probably fairly fishy according to you and should be taken less seriously as a player who would call a pre-flop raise?

Any clarification would be helpful

Thanks again.
      Basically while we really are against fishy player then it could be considered of completing but the problem is that there are so many spots where you will just try to go broke with just TP and which often is the case for beginners. That's why myself I would advice either to raise it and take initiative or just fold.

SHC is just for the beginning and getting the overview and small guide how you should play your hands, I mean which are the most profitable hands. But that does not mean that you are going to play according to hit for whole poker career. Moving up and getting better you will start playing either more hands, or based on the opponents. And this is one of the spots, where you will start either to Raise/Fold/Call, depending all on the opponent.

For example if he really is somewhat fit/fold guy then basically why we just don't raise it up and take initiative. Maybe he will just fold preflop with some weak hand or we can make fit/fold guy to fold postflop with just a CBet while we had the initiative and maybe even hit something really big then can extract value.

Hopefully it makes sense for now, but if you have any further questions you are welcome to ask and of course post new hands. Meanwhile good luck on tables!
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Definitely makes more sense now.

Thanks for the quick response!