I don't understand the Basic chart (pre-flop)

• iambobdole
      iambobdole
      Basic
      For reference http://i54.tinypic.com/sossvd.png

I don't understand for example if it tells me to Fold in Early position if "all players fold".

How do I know every other player folds if I fold straightaway in Early position?

I don't understand how the chart applies to the Early positions at all. because you could be the first or 2nd one to bet and you don' tknow what the rest of the table is going to do?

Or does it mean if you're in Early position you should always fold unless you have "very strong" or "strong hands"?

thank you
  • 11 replies
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iambobdole
      I don't understand for example if it tells me to Fold in Early position if "all players fold".
      It's about actions made in front of you(by players who acted before it was your turn to act)
    • mongomob
      mongomob
      Bronze
      The chart is referring to evry player that has folded or otherwise till you, say you are UTG+1 then it refers only to UTG for example,
      becouse of your lack of information about what players wo make theyr decision after you will do, the chart is tighter =)
      Hope this helps and gl...
      =)
    • iambobdole
      iambobdole
      Basic
      so what if i am the first after the blind? i think you call it UTG.

so the point of this chart is that you should very "tight" in Early position than later?
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Yes. You should read "Everyone folds" as "Nobody makes a move other than folding". If you're the first to act, you should treat it as if everyone else folded.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Yeah, if everybody folds, then it means that the action is on you and nobody has put any money in the pot. Example: You are UTG+1, UTG folds and its your turn.

If you are UTG then I would class it as "All players fold" meaning you should be playing AJs, AQo +, 99+
    • iambobdole
      iambobdole
      Basic
      Thanks for that. I've been playing like free money games atm to get my self aquainted and I definitely haven't been doing what the guide said lol.

But it does seem a bit counter intuitive, why shouldn't i put in a little bet to see what the rest of the table does even if I have a mediocrehand? because it's likelily someone else will have a better hand?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Yes generally if you are UTG and there are 8 people to act after you one person will have a very big hand that won;t be folding. If they have specualitive hands then they can call in position and will see how you act on every street before they put a chip in the pot which obviously gives them a huge advantage.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Yes generally if you are UTG and there are 8 people to act after you one person will have a very big hand that won;t be folding. If they have specualitive hands then they can call in position and will see how you act on every street before they put a chip in the pot which obviously gives them a huge advantage.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by iambobdole
      Thanks for that. I've been playing like free money games atm to get my self aquainted and I definitely haven't been doing what the guide said lol.
      Be very careful about comparing play money action to real money action. In play money, the players tend to be loose and reckless because they have no cash invested in the outcome of a hand. In real money, even at the 2-cent tables, the play tends to be much more tight and sensible.

I've always considered play money to be terrible training for real money play, but that's just me. The poker sites advertise their .net (play money only) sites extensively, so obviously they believe play money is a good way to prepare yourself for real money. I just disagree with them.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      The .net addresses are just to get round American laws for online poker - hence the play money aspect.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by lynius
      The .net addresses are just to get round American laws for online poker - hence the play money aspect.
      I wonder what will happen to the .net sites after Black Friday. They'll no longer be a feeder to the .com sites, and from what I've heard TV stations in the U.S. are pulling ads for them.