This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Variance on Super Turbo 300 Chips

• ukspike
      ukspike
      Bronze
      Hey!

I haven't played poker in quite some time, originally ( a year ago) I played on full tilt, and took a starting balance and grinded up to $200.

I recently returned to play poker, and have continued playing in the 300 chip turbos.

A Year ago I had a 24% ROI before I stopped playing. When I came back to poker I did some rush and cash tables, odd MTT just to get myself back into things.

I also completed FTs take 2 promotion, by the end of it I was up about $8, and I felt comfortable enough to enter the $2 300 chip super turbo tournaments again.

Things started well and I won (placed top 3) majority of my tables, and gained a significant increase to my bankroll.

BUT the past two days I have hit a wall, all my primary hands AK AA KK QQ JJ etc are all losing situations that I just don't feel like I should lose.

In such my bank roll is now back down to $190 and I am starting to feel as if I am playing "wrong" and my initial game winnings were just pure luck.

I am aware of variance and the fact that you can hit losing streaks in poker, but I have never actually experienced it, when I previously played I went to $200 without losing all that much, and kept a nice steady upward graph. Now it's nose diving.

So I guess my question is - does anyone have any advice for this? Getting out of a losing streak, or how to cope with it so that I don't make stupid mistakes after losing 3 AA hands in a row? Should I stop playing for a few days? Should I just grind it out, and lose a few more times and hope my bad luck goes away?

ps. I play 4 tables at a time if it's relevant.
  • 2 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      4 tables should be fine - not so many you need to think about reducing to iron out mistaks.

1. have you any available videos on STs?
      2. do you have SNG Wizzard? - great for checking ranges and improving confidence/ reducing errors.
      3. failing that, you can use hodemresources dot net

from what i hear STs are Quite high variance - almost no oppty for post flop edge.

Dont worry about losing with AK AA KK QQ JJ . They will almost always be the best hand in ST and you can only fold in rare bubble situations.

if you pm me we can look to do a sweat session at some point.

GL
    • ukspike
      ukspike
      Bronze
      Hmm I just downloaded the SitNGo Wizard and imported my hands. Majority of the games have pretty much solid green ticks on them, maybe one or two "warnings".

Odd game has a couple of errors, but nothing overly serious from what I can see.

I have also been looking at some videos and articles, and taken the quizes on this site again. I have hit decent scores, but haven't played anymore poker today yet, I might give it another go later.