Playing Style

• FrankPank
      FrankPank
      Bronze
      I HATE sitting at a table and waiting for premium hands. So I'd like improve at poker, especially in tournements and sit n goes, developing an aggresive style, playing quite a wide range of hands, putting pressure on my opponents by keeping them guessing.

I went trough basic guides and it's all about playing tight... help ?
  • 8 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey FrankPank.

Are you currently not playing at any of our sites? The more your play, the more strategy points you earn, the more strategy points you earn the higher your "status" is. The higher the status the more complex articles/videos we offer.

This isn't to punish the players who don't play alot, but we really believe in progression, the basic articles are not wrote poorly, they are just wrote to help you understand the basics of poker and help you improve and progress through the stakes.

As you move up the stakes, learn from our articles and improve your status will gradually rise and you will stat learning concepts that our educational team believe will help you beat the medium-high stakes. One example is the current series available for gold and higher that talks about the pro's and con's of "squeezing" these articles are really good and if you slowly implement them into your overall game armour you could become world class ;)

If you are playing micro stakes, you really need to just play the boring way. Wait for big hands and bet, bet, bet. If this bores you and you play poker to have fun and not make money SNG's are not going to be your thing. You should move over to tournaments where you can get real excitement from going deep in a tournament.

And I promise you you won't hate waiting for pocket aces when you have 1.2m chips and the aggrersive Scandanavian from UTG min raised AGAIN.

Get grinding, keep learning, keep improving and keep us updated!

GL :s_cool: :s_cool: :s_cool: :s_cool: :s_cool:
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Hi, Frank,

PokerStrategy teaches tight-aggressive play to beginners. There is also a style called loose-aggressive, but it's not taught here because it takes experience and skill to play it well. I use something like that style in tournaments but not in cash games.

Note that patience and discipline are among the keys to profitable poker play. Even loose-aggressive players need those two traits. I can understand being frustrated when you are card-dead for a spell (i.e. go through two circuits of the blinds or longer without a playable hand). If you're going to be profitable, however, that's something you'll have to learn to manage. The good news is that playing poker develops both patience and discipline, so you should get better at both with experience.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Thank you for both of you for popping by! =)
    • FrankPank
      FrankPank
      Bronze
      Thanks guys appreciate it, thing is I started play poker on PokerStars, I went from -60 to 240 and now I'v got 160. I've got my 50$ starting capital on William Hill, they have the worst poker software I've ever seen and it's always empty.. so I can't improve my status :(
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by FrankPank
      Thanks guys appreciate it, thing is I started play poker on PokerStars, I went from -60 to 240 and now I'v got 160. I've got my 50$ starting capital on William Hill, they have the worst poker software I've ever seen and it's always empty.. so I can't improve my status :(
      William Hill is busy only on the cash tables, and even then I've only investigated the micros.

You can also create a new account on a new site through the PokerStrategy referral link and deposit yourself for trackable play. Some sites offer rakeback if you get referred through PS. For example, Cake offers 33% rakeback for PS-referred players. For someone playing the high micros, that can add up to a nice profit margin.
    • FrankPank
      FrankPank
      Bronze
      I already have account on on FullTiltPoker, PartyPoker and CakePoker :( whats left?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey FrankPank you want you mentioned you want to master SNGs in your first post the key to both tournaments and SNGs is staying in the game for as long as you can which means the tight aggressive style of play is best suited for these if you only play the stronger hands then you are going to get yourself in less trouble and hopefuly make the money more often.

Im playing these at the minute as well my advice would be to read all the articles again make sure you have taken everything in have a look at the video section you can learn a lot over there (not sure if there are many for bronze though you should find one or two)
      Also get over to the SNG hand evaluation foum and take a look at some example hands that have been commented on by profession hand judges.

The blog section of the forum could help you too, lessthanthree's blog is a must read a great professional attitude and success story from someone who started out just like you.

Oh and don't forget the ICM trainer this is a must have for SNG players learning the ins and outs of Push/fold stage is essential to success

Hope this helps
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by FrankPank
      I already have account on on FullTiltPoker, PartyPoker and CakePoker :( whats left?
      Have a look at the sites that PS has an agreement with, under the Poker Rooms tab at the top. Pick a site that offers rakeback and create an account through the PS link or keyword. Download the client and have a look at the traffic, interface and play before depositing.

I don't recommend any iPoker skins because they have terrible interfaces. Some of the other sites might be good if your specific aim is to generate strategy points. If you don't care about strategy points, then Party is probably the best place to play SNGs right now--they have the nice deposit bonus on until the end of April, which is something they don't have very often. Cake is useless for SNGs. Full Tilt has good SNG traffic but might not be solvent for very much longer, if the statement they released yesterday is any indication.