what to do vs min-raises

• qnb07
      qnb07
      Bronze
      was playing a bunch of sngs and this one guy kept min-raising and winning loads of uncontested pots.
      for example:
      it was bubble. me and him were about even with the other 2 players were shorter than us and also about even between themselves.
      the min-raiser (mr) was to my right. so nearly every time it was my bb he´d min raise and sometimes on bu too and just won loads of pots.
      the answer is i would guess to shove on him at some point, but what kind of hand do i do that with unless i get a monster?? SCs?small PPs??
      if he had been shoving i wouldnt mind folding, but he just kept minraising....
  • 4 replies
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      You have to think in terms of ranges.

If he raises 100% of the hand than shoving something like 50% could become profitable and you also have to remember that you have fold equity because he is obviously just stealing and doesn't plan to call you unless you get bad luck and he picks up good cards.

I would shove on him pretty wide at some point.

But if it's a the bubble and you are 2 big stack then the situation becomes a little bit harder...You have to shove a lot more tight because of risk-aversion. Depends on the blind level stack size too etc. It's better to let the short stack die then you can fight back.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      If he is raising 100% of the time, it's like he is posting a larger big blind, except he might view your raise as stronger since he doesn't know that you know he is raising 100%.

If you are in the small blind, and you have a big stack and the big blind has a big stack, do you only push monsters? Usually it's profitable to push quite widely for 10 or even 15 big blinds unless you have a read that the big blind will call widely. Similarly, you can push quite widely for 10 or 15 times the minimum raise, so perhaps 30 times the big blind, unless you have a read that the raiser is going to call your resteals quite often.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by qnb07
      was playing a bunch of sngs and this one guy kept min-raising and winning loads of uncontested pots.
      for example:
      it was bubble. me and him were about even with the other 2 players were shorter than us and also about even between themselves.
      the min-raiser (mr) was to my right. so nearly every time it was my bb he´d min raise and sometimes on bu too and just won loads of pots.
      the answer is i would guess to shove on him at some point, but what kind of hand do i do that with unless i get a monster?? SCs?small PPs??
      if he had been shoving i wouldnt mind folding, but he just kept minraising....
      In SNGs these thieves don't succeed for long. Eventually they will hang themselves when you have a good hand and the blinds are bigger, and you will win back everything they stole and more.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Navrark
      In SNGs these thieves don't succeed for long. Eventually they will hang themselves when you have a good hand and the blinds are bigger, and you will win back everything they stole and more.
      A key idea in SNGs is that it is valuable to steal blinds, and if your opponents wait for big hands, then on average they won't win back all of the blinds you have stolen.

Minraising from the small blind risks 1.5 big blinds to steal 1.5 big blinds. If the BB doesn't defend 50% of the time then this will gain chips, and since the pot is small it might only need to work 51% or 52% of the time to gain ICM equity. This is actually a good tactic if the big blind will keep folding to the minraises. It can be much safer than the usual strategy of pushing, or at least making larger raises.

If you minraise because you think the big blind will fold very often, then when the big blind does call or reraise, remember to give him a tight range. If you think the big blind will play back at your raise with a wide range, then don't minraise trash.