Psyhology

• figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      I`m playing now NL100 SH. All was good I had a pretty ok winrate till last week and it continues on this week. Things started to go bad for me. Just can`t hit flops against fishes who don`t fold to my c-bets and I have started to play passive. I caught myself that I don`t c-bet flops where I don`t hit anything and got on some kind of tilt. Should I double barrel against them on good flops like K94r or J58ss.
      Seems like some kind of downswing and with all this sh*t looks like my game has become bad.
  • 4 replies
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      I recommend you watch The Eightfold Path to Poker Enlightment sir if you haven't yet ( it's on DC ) :D .

Also the book "The Elements of Poker" by Tommy Angelo (he is also the author of the video series) is very good material, there was a review of it on the forum these days.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      I agree with Demarcohsp.

You can also check out http://www.evplusplus.com/poker_tools/variance_simulator/ to get a better feel for how brutal variance can be.

Another thing that will help a lot in situations like this is session reviews of your own play. Try to have a post session review at least once a day where you look for spots where mistakes were made or where you feel tilt had occurred.

Furthermore you can start working on your mental game by first writing down all the types of tilt you experience and how they affect you and your game (like the example you gave where you tighten up). Once you know how you tilt and when you can look for the cause and ways to fix it or minimize the occurrence.
    • figeljfigelj
      figeljfigelj
      Bronze
      Thanks for the book and the calculator really great stuff :)
    • Leatherass9
      Leatherass9
      Basic
      I think the main key to overcoming negative variance is to simply continue to play good poker and don't let yourself subconsciously change your game. Here is what I mean by that: Many people will think of running bad as running KK into AA a lot, getting flush over flushed etc. But often times the hardest part is simply when you continually run bluff that are likely to work 6 times out of 10 and for a prolonged stretch they only work for example, 3 times out of 10. You may keep bluffing into the top end of someone's range, or they may be making all of the correct borderline calls against you etc. That can lead people to think that those plays are no longer working for them and they may consciously or subconsciously change their games. This is one of the more dangerous parts of running bad.

I would encourage you to remain true to your game, look for ways to improve it and be sure to be conscience of the possibility that you are altering your game in the process of running bad. I have seen many people let a bad run totally take over their games and their play became greatly different than before their bad run. Just be very aware and stick with what you know down deep works and just ride it out. There will be better days I promise :)