My First Blog

• brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Nothing special here, this is my first blog and my real begining on poker in the sense I will be looking to constantly improve my game vs trying to win money.

Breif Intro:
      I am currently 22 and I am currently in college(just finished 1st year) and now that I am done what perfect time to study poker than the summer? Other than Martial Arts and work, this is what I will concentrate on most trying to spend as much time as possible. I started playing online poker in January and my first deposit on Titan Poker of $50 went to zero and so to did my FTP deposit of $100(well went to about $2, now its at about $26, after constantly dropping and going back up, then dropping again). I stumpled upon this site shortly after and got my starting BR of $50 on Cake Poker, which I turned into $381, after comming 2nd place in a tourney, only after being on the site for 5 days. Well needles to say my BR is now at $246 on Cake Poker, mainly because I wasted some cash on tourney's that were out of my BR but also I played on Ring Tables that were within my BR but probably not my skill level. So i have suffered a bit, so i decided to make this blog to accomplish the following goals:

1.Start at the lowest limit possible on NL holdem, which on Cake is NL4, then move up, when I have made a reasonable profit.
      2.Use this blog to update my progress, which will accomplish both a way for me to keep track, a way for me to stay disciplne on my game, also by posting result hopefully the wonderful PS.com community will help :)
      3. Even though high limits may be within my BR I will stay focused on beating each limit as I move up and not be concerned with how much money I may be losing out on, because the goal is to improve my game as much as possible

I will contine to play Satelites that are within my BR, because I find them fun and they allow me to enter more lucrative tournaments, and if it dosen't hurt my BR I don't see the harm in that?( Unless mixing tournaments and ring games have caused me to play Ring Games incorrectly as that is what I lose the most money in), also:
      1. I will play at LEAST for two hours before shutting down at that point if I am losing ill stop, If I'm winning I will continue until I lose no more than 50% of my profit at that point. The only time I will break this 2hr rule is if I have lost more than 10% of my BR, or If I am playing a tourney
      2. I will only play on Cake Poker now, all other sites will be held off
      3. I will switch tables if I have lost 2 buyins
      4. I must always record my sessions and come here to post hands that may have gave me problems
      5. Before&After each session I will watch videos and read articles that relate to past games where I had trouble or just general areas I need to improve on.

Even if nobody reads or responds to this thread, I hope PS.com will allow me to keep it as a personal journal I can come to whenever I am done a session to record my results.
      I will also use this spreadsheet as I do not have PT3 http://www.kingscascade.com/PokerSessionLog.html

Some Questions I have from the community:
      1.Any tips anyone can think to give me would be appreciated
      2. Is this the right way to go about it? Should i set better goals?
      3. What is the right amount of profit I should be looking at to move up?
      4. Should I just focus on one table right now? and if I dominate that stake should I multi table before moving up?

This is really all I can think of now hopefully I can get some decent responses, even on some items I may have missed,

Anyways I hope I covered everything, I must leave for training now, so the first session will be tonight!

Thanks for reading,

***I have to update, due to an injury in training I didn't get to start, but I will be on it tonight,

Starting Bankroll: $246.22
  • 28 replies
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      First game following this blog was a $1+0.20 S&G, already breaking one of my rules, but I found myself up against someone who shoved 2 hands in a row then on the 3rd hand I 3bet him then he goes all in again:

Hand was converted using Tonnek's Cake hand converter
      / (10 handed)
      Known Players:
      UTG1:
      $SO
      UTG2:
      $SO
      UTG3:
      $SO
      MP1:
      $SO
      MP2:
      $SO
      MP3:
      $SO
      CO:
      $SO
      BU:
      $SO
      SB:
      $SO
      BB:
      $SO

Preflop: ($30) Hero is with Q Q.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to 120, UTG3 raises to 360, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, BU folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG2 is all in 1.800, UTG3 is all in 1.140

Flop: ($512.94) 6,4,A (2 players)

Turn: ($512.94) 9 (2 players)

River: ($512.94) 9 (2 players)

with that said
      Game Time: approx 5 min
      Win/Loss: -1.20
      BR: $245.02

Later on, I am going to have a LONG session of cash games after I study some SSS
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Just 1 hr session, two tables

I had to leave part way through the game, but here it is

Time Played: 1hr
      Win/Loss - +3.93
      BR: $248.95
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Hey,

Always good to keep a blog of your progress as you can keep track of results and get other peoples opinions on what you may been doing right or wrong.

I have a few of suggestions for you.

1: Try to stick to one type of game and give it a good try out before spreading learning and playing across all formats. Cash, MTT and SnG's all require different actions and different levels of thinking.

2. If you are going to play cash games, I'd suggest playing at NL10 as you are rolled for it, the difference between these two levels is not exactly huge. And if you are learning as you go you'll still be able to exploit players at NL10 the same as you should be able on NL4.

3. Playing for 2 hours straight isn't advised, you should take a break of about 10 mins after every 45 - 60 minutes of play. Stand up stretch, walk around, go make a coffee anything really just so you can refocus when you sit back to the table and this will also stop you from stiffening up.

Anyway, just a few suggestions, Good luck :)
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      awesome, thanks so much for the reply,
      - I'll stick to cash then for a couple months str8 see how that goes

-tonight after i Study some SSS ill try NL10 again and stay on it

i wonder how long most sites allow you to sit out for?( when im taking a break lets say)

thanks again for the suggestions
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      I know at Pokerstars you can only miss BB 3 times then they chuck you off the table, I can't say for other rooms, but I assume they are roughly the same :)
    • Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      My advice is expect to get bad beat after bad beat. Online cash poker is very different from Live cash Poker. One and two outers will hit often. Top pair will rarely be good enough. The game is fixed Online for monster hands so when you go all in with a flush with the river to come and your opponent needs a 9 to hit that fiull house don't ever be suprised when it hits, because in Online it will hit often. It dosen't matter whether you play correctly. You can get all your chips in with the best hand every time and still lose. Online poker is the most frustrating game ever. You can be an excellent player and still struggle to make money. My advice is play for fun !
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Hey mate,

Good to see your starting a blog :) I'd defo agree with MrMardyBum; Stick to one type of game and have breaks in your sessions.

Other than that keep us posted please! You into MMA btw? I havent trained in a year but looking to get back into it soon.

If you've just started I look forward to seeing your reaction to bads beats btw - always good fun.

Nice to meet you anyway colega!

AKM
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Donmecon
      My advice is expect to get bad beat after bad beat. Online cash poker is very different from Live cash Poker. One and two outers will hit often. Top pair will rarely be good enough. The game is fixed Online for monster hands so when you go all in with a flush with the river to come and your opponent needs a 9 to hit that fiull house don't ever be suprised when it hits, because in Online it will hit often. It dosen't matter whether you play correctly. You can get all your chips in with the best hand every time and still lose. Online poker is the most frustrating game ever. You can be an excellent player and still struggle to make money. My advice is play for fun !
      If you are serious about becoming an online player ... Totally disregard anything said in this post... And if you would like me to disprove all of this theory I know a lot of people that make a monthly living off online poker, and have all the graphs and stats saved to their PC.
    • AKM247
      AKM247
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      If you are serious about becoming an online player ... Totally disregard anything said in this post... And if you would like me to disprove all of this theory I know a lot of people that make a monthly living off online poker, and have all the graphs and stats saved to their PC.
      +1

I had'nt even noticed this post by Donmecon, don't be disheartened - it's balderdash :)
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      thanks for the replies, Im going to post a session soon

I train in MMA/Hap Ki Do, I took a cple years off cause I was so broke but I started MMA, now I do Hap Ki Do, I love submission fighting though, keeps you in great shape...I started playing in January so yes I have experienced bad beats already,( another great reason to train in MMA, for the sparring, lets out all that frusteration. I have enever been a person though to complain about "rigging"..but there has been some crazy hands that are almost hard to even beleif that happend, I know I readd a article that took a massive sample of handfs from a poker room and Hands that were dominated or behind ended up winning 20% more than what they were suppose to, but I dont remember the link and I wnat to keep this thread away from concpiracy theories lol

I'm off for a run, I will post tongith hopefully with a nice session
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      tried multi tabling tonight, was doing good at first but caught some bad beats, my hand converter is fucked up so I cant even post any, tomorow morning Ill have it up

- no articles today
      - 4 tables NL4
      Time Played- 1.75 hrs
      Win/Loss -$1.66
      BR: $247.29

going to hit NL10 tomorow morning hard, cant wait
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Cake is starting to piss me off, no wonder I preferred tourneys on that site players are NITS, my games view flop % got down to 2%, I was able to make a few buck in 1.5 hrs due to stealing, thats it

NL10 Full ring

time played 1.5 hrs
      Win/Loss: $2.88
      BR: $250.17

I cant really post any hands b/c I hardlly played any(well I played alot, just no callers :( .....), I wanna start getting alot of hands posted for some suggestions on how I play so that will be the next goal

Also tonight I'm going to try and do a really long session, more than 2 hrs
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      decent session tonight, its a shame I started so late I got too tired to continue, Ill post my result to keep my progress going as well as a few hands

Time Played: 1.75 hrs
      Win/Loss: $6.78
      BR: $256.95

heres a couple hands

-this one I felt like I could have maybe bet more on the river, I think ill change my min bet to 2/3 the pot on the river instead of 1/2

0.05/0.10 (8 handed)
      Known Players:
      UTG3:
      $7.32
      MP1:
      $8.91
      MP2:
      $14.46
      MP3:
      $11.17
      CO:
      $3.09
      BU(Hero):
      $12.89
      SB:
      $8.91
      BB:
      $15.67

Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is BU with 5 5.
      UTG3 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls 0.10, SB calls 0.05, BB checks

Flop: ($0.3) 2,5,6 (3 players)
      SB bets 0.10, BB calls 0.10, Hero calls 0.10

Turn: ($0.6) 4 (3 players)
      SB bets 0.30, BB folds, Hero raises to 0.90, SB calls 0.60

River: ($2.4) 6 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets 1.20, SB calls 1.20

- this hand I was facing an aggressive opponent, I usually bet on the turn here, I like the play of calling on a dry board, then stealing works well for me but I wasn't sure if he had limped in with meduim pair, either way this pot provided me a good profit..Did i play this wrong??

0.05/0.10 (8 handed)
      Known Players:
      UTG3:
      $10
      MP1:
      $15.72
      MP2:
      $7.32
      MP3:
      $8.76
      CO:
      $2.85
      BU:
      $14.46
      SB:
      $11.07
      BB(Hero):
      $15.07

Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with A J.
      UTG3 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to 0.35, CO folds, BU folds, SB folds, Hero raises to 1.20, MP3 calls 0.85

Flop: ($2.55) 7,2,2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets 1.23, Hero calls 1.23

Turn: ($5.01) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks

River: ($5.01) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets 2, MP3 folds

anyways thats all i got right now, this saturday is the 1 week mark, hopefully Ill have something to show

Tomorow I dont work Im going to start early studying some BSS, I find MSS to weak for Cake poker

also tonight I am joining a freeroll on Cake to a 1k tourney on saturday
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      good 2 hr session today, started at 1pm ending at 3:15, I think I played about 150 hands, I am really going to invest in PT3 soon..

- i read the BSS how to play after the flop, before playing, I play alot more TAG now in Ring games theres no rush so I am folding alot more now

Time Played: 2hrs
      Win/Loss: $9.96
      BR: $266.91

hand converter is all fucked up right now I had a couple hands to post..
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      session today on NL20 shallow stack..it didnt go to well I am kind of pissed as a wrie this some fucking idiot decides its a good call of 3$ with t8s and hits a T with a Q showing and calls me down to the river while I had KA...Later on he busts me completely when I went all in with AA and he calls with 66 and gets a 6...He wins like 35$ in 4 hands with all the wrong calls..Dosen't surprise me thats poker right...

time played: 2hrs
      Win/Loss- $16.78
      Unlocked Bonus: $5.00
      BR: $255.13

I don't even know why I decided to play that considering it was shallow stack I thought I give it a try, I was up $5 till that idiot I mentioned entered..

After a frusterating loss on Full Tilt this day has been a disaster with made hands getting sucked out consisitenly by idiots..I shouldn;t even play with any strategy lol its unreal

Considering I almost set myself all the way back in one session this whole week has been a waste trying to fuck with full tilt and this

Im just sticking to NL10 strictly I was showing good progress till I slipped,

I am going to training extremely pissed off they better hope were not sparring
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      my last post was hilarous,, man i was tripping almost blew my roll on FT from 25$ to 8$, what should I do with 8$? Just grind NL2? maybe that will be another blog....

I played for like half hour im jus going to quickyl update, im going out tonight, thank god its friday

win/loss $2.50
      BR: $257.63

One week mark tomorow, I would have had over 20$ for my first week but i fucked up what can I say..
      Tomorow is UFC thats a big day for me Im going to get my session in early and a nice long one too, the next post im going to post some goals Ill have for May, this way I can stick to the plan, I can see it really pays off to keep track of your progress and stay discplne, as soon as you dont all hell breaks loose
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Wasn't any action at all on NL10 so i decided to 4 table NL4, I busted out once, QQ vs AA, so what can I Say I ad the QQ

time played 2 hrs
      win/loss $1.24
      BR $258.87

I think I played about 500+ hands easily this week not a good amount I think I could have grinded more and had I stayed on NL10 would have pulled out more, but when we lose we learn

1st Week
      Starting BR: $246.22
      BR as of the 1st week: $258.87
      Profit: $12.65

I am going to keep this blog for at least the month of May, at that point I will probably move on
      My Goals will be:
      1. Keep playing NL10 for the whole month
      2. Grind out as many hours as I can
      3. Reach a bankroll of $375-$400, I still have a bonus of $85, I should clear most of that too

Thats about it, UFC is tonight GSP is going to SMASH on Sheilds, after that I'll probably post a session.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Completely ignore this post, it's complete crap. Good luck in your venture and remember to keep studying, on both your game and your mindset and your poker theory :)
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      too bad I have no hand converter for cake..
      I got fucked up today I have no Idea why for the first hour or 2 I do great then I just start losing like crazy, I can never win a big pot everytime I get involved with 2pair+ someone is always beating me with better, or everyone just folds when I have something good..Cake is tighter than a virgins pussy

I gotta really find a way to study my game but with no hand converter or anything its getting hard, its starting to fucking piss me off I'm winning like 5$ a fuking week...jesus, It's no wonder I keep quitting everytime Im up a few bucks

I won a 1k tourney ticket for Saturday, hopefully that turns out good b/c nothing else is....I need some encouragment :(

Time Played : 2.5hrs
      Win/Loss $4.74
      BR $254.13