[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH - QQ on KKx flop, passive line

• luizsilveira

I liked the way I played the hand - mainly for pot control - and wish to know if you agree.

Villain is unknown. Only 15 hands on him; those he is playing loose/passive pre-flop and aggressive post-flop (45/16/infinite AF)

I'm playing tight 15/15, but he doesn't have more than 15 hands on me either.

The hand:

Full Tilt - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: $6.10
      Hero (SB): $5.02
      BB: $7.96
      UTG: $6.22
      MP: $6.00
      CO: $5.00

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has Q:diamond: Q:club:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, BTN calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65, 2 players) K:spade: K:heart: 6:club:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.65, 2 players) J:heart:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25

River: ($1.15, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

Well, many details I have issues on on this hand. But mostly I've been trying to control the sheer aggression I show sometimes; by betting this flop (so I thought) could be turning my QQ into bluff. On the other hand, I've seen a billion players go broke on paired flops holding a pair to the non paired card... but on this board 6x looked very unlikely. I could still be called by all pocket pairs from JJ to 66 imo.

So... do we bet the turn for value (in that case forcing the bet/fold) or go for small-hand-small-pot and try to induce a bluff, risking to call a villain holding the K?

Edited to cut out the results.

2nd edit: forgot to add, the bet on the turn could serve as protection vs. the flush draw as well. Even on that case, I'm not sure it would be worth it to bet/fold, as he could easily raise a flush draw and calling would be ugly for us to face yet another big bet on river. But by checking, he can either bet the flush draw (profitable for us, imo) and/or even try to bluff the flush if yet another heard comes on the river.

As you may see, considering the board and his range, I'm seeing almost every call as profitable (especially small bets, ie less than pot). I could be wrong on that. Then the second question is if betting flop, turn or river could be profitable. Flop and turn I don't think so more clearly, and river I don't think so either as he would not frequently call with less, but could very well bluff frequently.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello luizsilveira,

Preflop: Usually when being OOP I'd even raise to $0,40 and avoid giving him great odds to call with any crap.
      Flop: Basically just CBet it here and I wouldn't be even scared but happy when he raises us and then just Call him and maybe even trap.

As played
      Turn: If I didn't bet it on flop then I'd just bet it here and hope to see some kind of Jx/smaller PPs/draw Call us. We don't really want to see Check behind from him and even an aggressive opponent is capable for it. And of course you have only few hands on him, that's no sample at all.

As played
      River: Not much to do when you decided to go for bluff induce then likely can hope him to bet with any Jx/missed draws here as well, therefore Calling it definitely while you picked such a line. With donking we might avoid him Checking behind his smaller PP.

Best regards.