[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH - AK OOP for pot control?

• luizsilveira
      Howdy ho,

Another one about pot control.

Villain is playing 30/6, AF 7

Full Tilt - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

BB: $3.90
      Hero (UTG): $5.16
      CO: $2.07
      BTN: $8.43
      SB: $2.85

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has A:diamond: K:spade:

Hero raises to $0.16, CO raises to $0.27, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.11

Flop: ($0.61, 2 players) A:heart: T:club: 2:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.61, 2 players) 3:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.30, CO calls $0.30

River: ($1.21, 2 players) J:club:
      Hero bets $0.40, CO raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.40

We were only 5 handed, but since I was UTG, he was CO and his pre-flop stats were quite passive, I gave lots of credit for his 3bet. Which was his 1st 3bet that I saw.

I know 4betting/going broke with AK, especially OOP, wouldn't be bad... but then again, I gave lots of credit to his raise (and I tend to give credit to min. raises at this limit).

When the flop came I was pretty sure I was ahead, not many combos in his range beat me, the very unlikely AA and of course TT. But I checked so he wouldn't fold his JJ-KK, plus I expected him to cbet those hands + weak aces + continue with his bluff is he was 3betting light.

He checked behind so he had showdown value. But I got confused as AQ and AT would have bet flop. So I put him even more on JJ-KK.

Yes my bet on the turn was small, but the board was not incredibly wet. Yes, flush draw possible but very unlikely IMO; broadway draw possible but just a gutshot. For the wheel I had the draw myself. So smaller bet might induce a call from every trash + all pocket pairs, and he could think I was on the flush draw and call/raise. If he raised I was certainly willing to go broke. Seeing it a bit more coldly I think I would have gone to 2/3 pot, but I don't see how that could make a BIG difference.

The river is my problem. It completes the gutshot, gives a set to JJ, two pair to AJ. Should I bet-fold, bet-call, or check-call there? I can't see check-fold, but if that would be the case let me know =)

• 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello luizsilveira,

Preflop: Basically against his stack rather get it in than Call.

As played
      Postflop: Guess only reasonable hand what we beat on river is a bluff and while we made such a small bet we might even induce him to bluff. But the problem with such stacks is that they just tend not to bluff on river. And I guess we more often here against JJ since AJ would bet it on flop more often.

Myself I would make it like 1/2 pot and fold to the raise but while you made such a small bet I might Call as well with the great odds he is giving and might even time to time show up a bluff.

Best regards.