This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH - AK OOP for pot control?

• luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Howdy ho,

Another one about pot control.

Villain is playing 30/6, AF 7

Hand:

Full Tilt - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

BB: $3.90
      Hero (UTG): $5.16
      CO: $2.07
      BTN: $8.43
      SB: $2.85

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has A:diamond: K:spade:

Hero raises to $0.16, CO raises to $0.27, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.11

Flop: ($0.61, 2 players) A:heart: T:club: 2:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.61, 2 players) 3:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.30, CO calls $0.30

River: ($1.21, 2 players) J:club:
      Hero bets $0.40, CO raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.40

Now...

We were only 5 handed, but since I was UTG, he was CO and his pre-flop stats were quite passive, I gave lots of credit for his 3bet. Which was his 1st 3bet that I saw.

I know 4betting/going broke with AK, especially OOP, wouldn't be bad... but then again, I gave lots of credit to his raise (and I tend to give credit to min. raises at this limit).

When the flop came I was pretty sure I was ahead, not many combos in his range beat me, the very unlikely AA and of course TT. But I checked so he wouldn't fold his JJ-KK, plus I expected him to cbet those hands + weak aces + continue with his bluff is he was 3betting light.

He checked behind so he had showdown value. But I got confused as AQ and AT would have bet flop. So I put him even more on JJ-KK.

Yes my bet on the turn was small, but the board was not incredibly wet. Yes, flush draw possible but very unlikely IMO; broadway draw possible but just a gutshot. For the wheel I had the draw myself. So smaller bet might induce a call from every trash + all pocket pairs, and he could think I was on the flush draw and call/raise. If he raised I was certainly willing to go broke. Seeing it a bit more coldly I think I would have gone to 2/3 pot, but I don't see how that could make a BIG difference.

The river is my problem. It completes the gutshot, gives a set to JJ, two pair to AJ. Should I bet-fold, bet-call, or check-call there? I can't see check-fold, but if that would be the case let me know =)

Cheers!
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello luizsilveira,

Preflop: Basically against his stack rather get it in than Call.

As played
      Postflop: Guess only reasonable hand what we beat on river is a bluff and while we made such a small bet we might even induce him to bluff. But the problem with such stacks is that they just tend not to bluff on river. And I guess we more often here against JJ since AJ would bet it on flop more often.

Myself I would make it like 1/2 pot and fold to the raise but while you made such a small bet I might Call as well with the great odds he is giving and might even time to time show up a bluff.

Best regards.