Best way to learn SH...

• mChavez
      Hi guys!

Can someone please point out the best basic strategy to start learning SH with and then the best way to slowly switch to more advanced play.

I.e. should I avoid blind battles in the beginning? What situations to avoid? What are the most likely mistakes when switching to SH?

How did you learn SH yourself?

After a line of losses my strategy got screwed up and I'm lost and confused and want to come back to the very basics and start again.

What articles are a must-re-read and videos a must-watch-again?

Thank you.
  • 3 replies
    • datsmahname
      I dove in with both feet more or less, but you have some advantages & can probably take a more structured approach.

A thread on 2+2 challenged players to try 6-max and thats more or less how i got into it. A bunch of people gave it a shot & i think you'll gain something from reading that.

Take the quizes on short handed play.

Then read the explanations. Often times they recommend articles on various topics. Read those too. I'd also recommend improving your preflop strategy.

Then try taking short sessions of 1-2 tables maximum. play 100 hands or so and review your play.

Moving from FR there are some adjustments that are not easy to simply read about. You sort of start peeling in areas you wouldn't otherwise, and you end up playing against wider ranges than in FR where fold equity improves slightly and where weaker hands improve in value.
    • Leader22
      It's important to understand that learning any poker game isn't a linear process. There are a lot of spots in which you will have to play well in to be successful. The key is to always be gathering information and then implementing improvements.

Find one area where you think you need to get better in. Then figure out one or two things that you need to do differently in that area. Play and review until you see the change in your game. Then move on to the next area.
    • madorjan

I have to agree with Leader (LDO), but would like to add some points.

I myself learned SH through playing FR. I played tens of thousands of hand of FR, and then just switched to SH game. Since game theoretically there is NO difference between FR (where UTG-UTG3 folded) and SH play, only the explotative measures has to be changed (however when I made the switch, I wouldn't even have understood what I wrote in the previous sentences:D ). I mean in FR you can relentlessly steal blinds and stuff, cause most of the players are nits or tight regs who just suck at blind defense - that's not true for SH. So that's the paradox between FR and SH play - there should be no difference, and basically there's a kind of huge difference. Anyway...

So if you played FLFR before, that should be a good starting point. You just play your regular ranges, and when you feel it can be applicable, you just widen/tighten your ranges for different spots. Since in FLFR not just the opposition, but usually Hero himself is a nit, he has to open up quite a bit - at least from my experience with myself and with students. So I'd suggest taking your quote-unquote normal ranges to the SH table, and then widening them appropriately.

I guess the most important stuff is learning a new game or a new format is not the material, but the method of learning. I myself prefer and would recommend finding sweat partners who are first a bit above you in skill levels, then even, and after that below you. Not just because then you give back what you got back from the other guys, but also explaining situations that seem standard to you may make you realize potential leaks in your game, or if not, just give you a better and deeper understanding of the game. (E.g. I guess a lot of intermediate player couldn't tell why we raise certain hands in certain positions, that is an absolute must for exploitative play.)

Hope I could help.:)