Stack
      SB:
      $5.21
      BB:
      $6.93
      Hero:
      $8.85

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , A:diamond:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, SB calls $0.18, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.60) 9:heart: , 5:heart: , 3:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.3, SB calls $0.30, BB folds.

Turn: ($1.20) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1, SB calls $1.00.

River: ($3.20) J:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3, SB calls $3.00.

Final Pot: $9.20

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ah Ad)
      SB shows three-of-a-kind, jacks (Js Jd)

SB wins with three-of-a-kind, jacks (Js Jd) Funny how the odds of him actually hitting his Jack is 4.5%. Aren't i lucky

Simple question, is this the right play? I seriously doubted that he had a flush since he checked the river. Turns out he had something else >_>

I hope i can just put this down to a bad beat and get over it.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello fractalsonfire,

Welcome to the NL BSS Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

About the hand:
      I'd bet bigger on flop ~$0,45 and as played, yes he might consider Check/Raising with flush on river, although some fishy players as well like to donk with them. But your sizing is way too big, he will just have hard time calling with a lot worse, I'd bet like $1,50+ and be ready to fold to any shove or anything similar.

Best regards.
    • fractalsonfire
      fractalsonfire
      Bronze
      Hmm for the conti bet on the flop, i see some people do 2/3 pot (even PS articles say so) but i also see up to 3/4 pot, which is better or is it down the personal pref? Also normally i do a 2/3 contibet but for some reason i don't know why i did 1/2 there... Must've misread the pot number.

Also for value betting, with a strong made hand. Is there a set size to bet? Such as 1/2 pot, 3/4 pot etc etc or is it completely situational?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hmm for the conti bet on the flop, i see some people do 2/3 pot (even PS articles say so) but i also see up to 3/4 pot, which is better or is it down the personal pref? Also normally i do a 2/3 contibet but for some reason i don't know why i did 1/2 there... Must've misread the pot number.

Basically depends a lot on the board. When it's very dry you can do it smaller and when it's very drawy then try to put even bigger and of course depends a lot on the opponents as well. And my usual is like 2/3 of the pot.

Also for value betting, with a strong made hand. Is there a set size to bet? Such as 1/2 pot, 3/4 pot etc etc or is it completely situational?

Depends as well on a lot different factors, either we have a very strong hand, either we are against stations and a lot other factors. Just try posting more hands and you will find them and I will explain everything.