[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH, JJ + turn play

• 36bullets
      36bullets
      Bronze
      This was my starting hand on my starting session today. I have no significant reads on any players.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $5.21
      Hero:
      $5

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.98 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:heart: , J:spade:
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.15.

I'm not sure whether SB is trying to steal the blinds or he does have a good starting hand, but does raising here make any sense? I just followed the CALL20 rule on the SHC.

Flop: ($0.40) J:club: , 9:heart: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.28, Hero raises to $1.00, SB calls $0.72.

SB bets roughly 3/4 pot, I reraised to pot size to protect my set.

Was the move OK? There are flush + straight draws on the flop. I'm not entirely sure if my opponent has a T8 (if he's trying to steal, but I think highly unlikely). I was thinking of maybe TP + straight draw.

Turn: ($2.40) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.68, Hero raises to $3.80 (All-In), SB calls $2.12.

A scare card completes the possible straight draw. Did I made a good move shoving after his donk bet?

River: ($10.00) 9:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.00
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello 36bullets,

Preflop: You can still 3bet it here, more often he will have some kind of stealing hand than a really strong hand. But of course like Calling ain't very wrong either but I just see in BvB your JJ is way too strong to just Call.

As played
      Flop: Would be a mistake to slowplay here and let him draw, definitely raise it and I even like the sizing.
      Turn: And not much to add, he can easily have a lot worse pairs/sets/2pairs and maybe even draws therefore I am as well shipping it here rather than Calling. Well done!

Best regards.
    • 36bullets
      36bullets
      Bronze
      Hi veriz,

Thanks for your feedback! :D

I have a questions though:

Preflop: You can still 3bet it here, more often he will have some kind of stealing hand than a really strong hand. But of course like Calling ain't very wrong either but I just see in BvB your JJ is way too strong to just Call.

If I decided to 3-bet pre-flop and encounter a 4-bet from the SB, what should I do then? Should I still call, or folding would be the better option? I was thinking that my action would depend on the type of opponent I'm facing, but in this case, I don't have any reads yet.

Regards.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      If I decided to 3-bet pre-flop and encounter a 4-bet from the SB, what should I do then? Should I still call, or folding would be the better option? I was thinking that my action would depend on the type of opponent I'm facing, but in this case, I don't have any reads yet.

Basically I guess I am still shipping it while I expect him still to be able at some spots maybe even 4betting with worse PPs and as well maybe even AQ/AK against that kind of range we have pretty decent equity and should be even ahead. :) Calling would be likely a mistake since we would just put too much in preflop than most of the flops we would be commit anyways and rather ship it preflop.
    • 36bullets
      36bullets
      Bronze
      Basically I guess I am still shipping it while I expect him still to be able at some spots maybe even 4betting with worse PPs and as well maybe even AQ/AK against that kind of range we have pretty decent equity and should be even ahead.

I understand. :)

Calling would be likely a mistake since we would just put too much in preflop than most of the flops we would be commit anyways and rather ship it preflop.

I'm not aware of this until now. :f_biggrin: I guess I have to improve more.

Thank you very much!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by 36bullets
      Basically I guess I am still shipping it while I expect him still to be able at some spots maybe even 4betting with worse PPs and as well maybe even AQ/AK against that kind of range we have pretty decent equity and should be even ahead.

I understand. :)

Calling would be likely a mistake since we would just put too much in preflop than most of the flops we would be commit anyways and rather ship it preflop.

I'm not aware of this until now. :f_biggrin: I guess I have to improve more.

Thank you very much!
      Unless of course you are trying to trap him with a hand like KK/AA, which is the tricky play I might pick sometimes. :f_biggrin: