The charts given are for 10 player tables..

• 4 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      9/10 player tables (or FR/Full Ring tables) are better for a beginner or someone learning to play profitable poker. If you find you need more action to maintain concentration you are better opening more tables (ie multi tabling) rather than playing 6max/SH/Short Handed tables.

The reason is, because you play more hands at SH tables, any leaks in your game get magnified. Also, you end up in many more marginal situations.

As a general rule though, if you are playing 6max, you can ignore the positions up to and including MP1 as a full SH table plays from position MP2 on.

Best of luck. :f_cool:
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      9/10 player tables (or FR/Full Ring tables) are better for a beginner or someone learning to play profitable poker. If you find you need more action to maintain concentration you are better opening more tables (ie multi tabling) rather than playing 6max/SH/Short Handed tables.

The reason is, because you play more hands at SH tables, any leaks in your game get magnified. Also, you end up in many more marginal situations.

As a general rule though, if you are playing 6max, you can ignore the positions up to and including MP1 as a full SH table plays from position MP2 on.

Best of luck. :f_cool:
      I agree with everything here, but just to clarify: at a 6-max table, or even a 10-max table that has only six players, you eliminate the three early positions as well as middle position 1. And if someone else leaves you eliminate middle position 2, then middle position 3, and so on until there are just the small and big blind left. But by the time you're down to four players, the starting hands chart is pretty much useless because shorthanded is a VERY different game.
    • iambobdole
      iambobdole
      Basic
      Yeah I think you're right, I'll give 10 play table a go next time. Because at times the 6 table ended up going as low as 3 players.

The 6 hand table tonight didn't go so well, made a loss of $2.50, just wiping out my $2.50 win yesterday. Played 150 hands each $0.20BB.

I think tonight I was provoked into some unwise decisions. I had this guy who was before me and he basically raised me everytime he was small blind and I was big blind. He would also raise a lot in preflop, often with worse cards than I would have called or raised with cos I can see from history. He also brought $25 to the table when everyone else had like $2-10.

I ended up going head to head more often than was wise and in one hand I called him on the river without even looking at the card because I would check, he would bet then I'd call for the flop and turn which infuriated me. In another head to head, he won at showdown with a very small crappy pair that he raised in preflop and continued to bet every turn while I had like KTo.

He actually left the table $4 up.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      I'm gathering you were playing limit. Limit can be a bit like play money sometimes. You get those guys who raise every hand. You also get opponents who CAP every single round of betting!

Anyway, short-term results don't mean a thing. Wait until you've got at least 20,000 hands under your belt before looking at whether you're up or down.