How do I deal with players who are very aggresive preflop

• iambobdole
      iambobdole
      Basic
      I'm beginning to hate players who keep raising/calling preflop, eg I'm playing this guy and he was UTG and he capped preflop with 89o. I mean wtf? (the tables does say fold if in full ring game) but he did win eventually with a straight.
      Sometimes they even win with with one pair because the cards they held obviously wan't good to start with.

Another table I played at there was another guy like this and he was winning too.
  • 9 replies
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Well just because they had more than 100 big blinds doesnt mean they are winning players.. They suck, only reason why they have the money is that they got lucky. If you were to watch them play every day for say a month, you'd see that they are big losers.

You should love these players who have no problem going all in with nine high preflop, these are the players you're gonna make the most money from.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Iambobdole,

Generally against this players you tighten your bluffing range (i.e dont bluff) and widen your value range. (i.e try and get more hands in for value)

Example 1)

I am playing against a really tight player who doesn't like to get his money in lightly, how would 88 do against his value range?

equity win tie pots won pots tied
      Hand 0: 37.342% 37.15% 00.19% 39437228 206113.00 { 8d8h }
      Hand 1: 62.658% 62.46% 00.19% 66313394 206113.00 { TT+, AQs+, AQo+ }

Example 2)

I amplaying against a loose aggresive guy that gets 89 in preflop

equity win tie pots won pots tied
      Hand 0: 55.730% 55.33% 00.40% 378034534 2716184.00 { 8d8h }
      Hand 1: 44.270% 43.87% 00.40% 299742394 2716184.00 { 55+, A2s+, K4s+, Q7s+, J8s+, T8s+, 98s, A5o+, K8o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o }

As you can see it is +ev to get more money in with 88 against villain two, but against villain one we would be severely crushed!

The most important part in poker is that you adjust to your opponents.

Level 1 thinkers - Think about their own cards

Level 2 thinkers - Think about their and their opponents card

Level 3 thinkers - Think about their opponents hand ranges and how their range plays against it

Level 4 thinkers - Think about how their opponents adjust their range based on our perceived range and we adjust accordingly.

Of course as well as doing this and being able to do this, it is imperative that you can work out which level your opponent is on. There is no use being able to quadruple range merge if your opponent is just looking at his relative hand strength.
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Pleno, I'm basically Level 2. What limits BSS should I be playing to maximize my profit potential?
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belayd
      Pleno, I'm basically Level 2. What limits BSS should I be playing to maximize my profit potential?
      its almost impossible to answer that question only with that one piece of info...
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Yeah, of course bankroll, experience etc all so important for this.

Give me as much info you can and I'll try my very hardest to help :)
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Yeah, of course bankroll, experience etc all so important for this.

Give me as much info you can and I'll try my very hardest to help :)
      I've played poker onine using the PS system for only about a month and a half. In that time I've played 2NL and 4NL FR BSS and have bled about -12 bb/100 over about 7K hands.

My bankroll CAN be as high as $200, if such a large deposit is recommended. (Of course, if you recommend it and I still lose it, I'm not going to blame you. :) )

I very much enjoy MTTs but seem to do poorly in them. In the few STTs I've played, I've finished ITM about 20% of the time, and my ROI is about -7.8%. Against some opponents I have an excellent shorthanded game, while other types of opponents destroy me.

Let me know if there's anything else I should tell you.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Which site are you playing on right now and how many tables are you playing?

A few guys have came to me in the last month with very similar stories to you.

I think you should play fewer tables and really think behind every decision rather than auto-piloting and trying to get volume in.

The most important thing in our first 12 months is progression and and learning how to play poker properly.

Everytime you do something you should ask yourself why. Ok, I'm betting, why am I betting? Which better hands will fold? Which worse hands will call? None to both questions? You should probably move your hand away from the bet button.

Really scrutinize your game, post sessions you should be looking to analyse all pots that are over 60bbs and if possible look through any hands that you "flag".

Partner this with a "poker buddy" that you talk about strategy with on skype (preferably who play similar stakes/games) and I think you can move up alot quicker. Remember the rake at the micros is alot and can really affect your win rate. I would suggest playing NL5 for now with the intention of moving up quickly.

If you're playing less tables it means you can take shots at higher stakes when you have 15-25 buy ins, maybe even less. If you have a poker buddy he may even buy a piece of your action whilst you do a sweat session or something?

Moving up is tremendous fun, with your determination and desire you could be at 50nl by the end of the year but of course it's not going to be very easy. I really want to know how you do so please keep posting around the forum and keep me updated yeh?
    • belayd
      belayd
      Global
      You are very perceptive. I was four-tabling on William Hill and then four-tabling on Cake and getting destroyed. When I started two-tabling I did well, and single-tabling I managed to break even for about two straight weeks.

For the next two months I'm mostly going to give a try to playing live, so my online volume will significantly decrease. See the blog "The Live Wire: An Experiment" for an ongoing chronicle of my live play. I'd love to have a reply from you on the one post I've made in that blog so far.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by belayd
      You are very perceptive. I was four-tabling on William Hill and then four-tabling on Cake and getting destroyed. When I started two-tabling I did well, and single-tabling I managed to break even for about two straight weeks.

For the next two months I'm mostly going to give a try to playing live, so my online volume will significantly decrease. See the blog "The Live Wire: An Experiment" for an ongoing chronicle of my live play. I'd love to have a reply from you on the one post I've made in that blog so far.
      Of course, I get on it tomorrow. Sleep time now :)