[NL20-NL50] KK in position (blind vs blind) with an Ace on the flop

• fembot26
      fembot26
      Bronze
      I'm new to cash-games, so this might be a very standard hand with standard optimal lines. I had no reads on my opponent at the time, although looking back in detail over previous hands he seems to be quite aggressive post-flop, generally betting the turn after a checked flop and, for example, once betting into a four-player flop and folding to a min-raise and call.

I chose not to continuation-bet in this hand holding second pair KK as I felt my recent CB frequency had been quite high; but now it seems this image would have allowed me to get value from a worse pair. But on the other hand a continuation-bet wouldn't necessarily have been given me much information as to how to continue, as he would call with some draws. Or was I just too fearful of the overcard on the flop? Maybe double- and even triple-barreling would take him off a medium Ace (it's unlikely he has AK or AQ).

On the turn should I try a min-raise, planning not to put any more money into the pot, or would this be interpreted as usually indicating a weak hand? How about a bigger raise to convince him I've made a big hand and fold out his top pairs? - or should I let him keep bluffing and call down to the river? I of course considered calling the river, but experience and flawed intuition convinced me he surely must have an Ace. I might win Poker Wimp of the Year for that one.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $20.25
      MP2:
      $30.85
      MP3:
      $49.40
      CO:
      $49.00
      BU:
      $50.00
      SB:
      $64.85
      BB (Hero):
      $59.10

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K.
      5 folds, SB raises to $1.00, Hero raises to $2.75, SB calls $1.75.

Flop: ($5.5) A, 8, 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($5.5) Q (2 players)
      SB bets $4.00, Hero calls $4.00.

River: ($13.5) 7 (2 players)
      SB bets $9.00, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $13.5.
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      If the opponent is aggressive he will most likely try to take you off your hand here because once you check the flop your hand is somewhat face up (either a very weak Ax hand or a PP that's afraid of the A). That does not mean that he doesn't have enough hands he can valuebet though.

Given your image I prefer to cbet the flop because, as you said, worse hands will still call you (TT-JJ if he doesn't 4bet them pre). After all you would cbet all your air and Ax hands here. And on that turn card you can consider checking back and seeing what he does on the river. It's hard for villain to call those TT-JJ on the Q now so it's hard for us to get value from our hands. On the river if he checks we can make a small value bet or check behind as well (depending on how we feel he plays Ax hands). If we feel that he doesn't bet AJ and worse than calling the river is fine because he doesn't have that many value hands. If we feel he would valuebet most aces on the river then a fold is closer to a better decision.

Keep in mind that since you raised on the smaller side preflop and it's BvB villain will most likely have a wider range for calling you.

Also, remember that whenever you face a bet and need to make a call you are always given pot odds. In this case, on the river, you need to call $9 for the overall pot of $31.50 and thus 9/31.5 = 0.285 or 28.5% of the time.

So in other words you have to be good a bit more than 1 in 4 times to show a profit there.
    • fembot26
      fembot26
      Bronze
      Thanks very much Bogdan, that's extremely helpful. You've just taught me at least one valuable lesson - when facing a bet, consider which hands my opponent would bet for value, and whether he's likely to have them given the action.

Just a quick question: are players at NL50 likely to fold top pair with a medium or weak kicker out of position to multiple barrels, or do you think such a plan is simply too risky?
    • matusko
      matusko
      Coach
      Coach
      depends on player but people still dont like to fold
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by fembot26
      Thanks very much Bogdan, that's extremely helpful. You've just taught me at least one valuable lesson - when facing a bet, consider which hands my opponent would bet for value, and whether he's likely to have them given the action.

Just a quick question: are players at NL50 likely to fold top pair with a medium or weak kicker out of position to multiple barrels, or do you think such a plan is simply too risky?
      You are welcome.

Are you referring to 3-bet pots or single raised pots?

Normally in 3-bet pots TP will have a hard time folding. In single raised pots you can make villain fold TP but it really depends on the opponents.