My own 'unusual' poker tips...

• froufroumatt
      froufroumatt
      Basic
      So I figured I might add my own personal advice:

1) When playing poker, use a timer. Play 60 minutes round and force yourself to take a break

2) Always put music on when playing poker

3) Only play poker. No WoW or such at the same time

4) Always use your HUD. Always, always.

5) Watch at least one orbit before playing any second-level hands (hands such as QJs and so on)

6) Go to the gym before playing poker. Do heavy cardio.

7) Always have something to drink while playing poker. Preferably water.

What are your 'unusual' poker tips?
  • 38 replies
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Always make sure the wife is busy doing something else. Everytime she calls me or walks in the room, I lose.
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hackbinder
      Always make sure the wife is busy doing something else. Everytime she calls me or walks in the room, I lose.
      +1 - its every single bloody time.
    • mongomob
      mongomob
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by evertonroar
      +2

lol, i tought i was the only one... what is that??? anyone have an explination for this???

my gf plays recreationally, a SnG a week or so, but has watched me sometimes, i feel like i play diffrent, like when stealing with trash cuz i know i can in that spot, i feel i have to explain my thought process,
      and i deffinatly dont want to loose pots with her watching, so i maybe get to Aggro, or too tight, i dont know...
      but now we have a rule that when i play it's me time.. =) she reads a book and then we do something together...
      only one that doesent respect this rule is the dog.... who becomes verry competitive with the screen for attention sometimes =) ... wich doesent bug me at all, he can be easily entertained, (distrackted)...
      dont really see it working throwing my girl a ball ... ... =)
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      [dont really see it working throwing my girl a ball ... ... =)

desperate times - desperate measures.....
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      lol, i tought i was the only one... what is that??? anyone have an explination for this???

i think its the poker gods way of telling us that there are more important things than poker. personally i would have preferred an email or a voice from the sky rather than my aa getting cracked by 83o. but i guess that why they are the poker gods and i am ... well not.
    • mongomob
      mongomob
      Bronze
      i think its the poker gods way of telling us that there are more important things than poker.

i see where you're comming from with that, but, wouldnt that be some strange poker gods, tought them lot would really dedicate themselfes to poker =) ...

well maybe some other gods then =) ...
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mongomob
      i think its the poker gods way of telling us that there are more important things than poker.

i see where you're comming from with that, but, wouldnt that be some strange poker gods, tought them lot would really dedicate themselfes to poker =) ...

well maybe some other gods then =) ...
      they do say god works in mysterious ways....
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      Before I was smoking one big blund till my eyes get red(this is how I get in contact with the poker gods).When I found out that I win more money when I don't have weed I stoped the herb(LOLzors).
      Now I do a 30 min dzogchen meditation and "take my spirit in his home".After this when I start to play time does not exist normaly if don't get to much bad beats I can play 10-15 h. straight only on water.

edit: sh*t I speak to much :0 my point was that good concentration is essential for poker.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      try.... try...... try...... not to call when you know they have the nuts!!!! :P
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper

Here even Buddha can't help us my son. :f_thumbsup:
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bohemiagrove
      Originally posted by roopopper

Here even Buddha can't help us my son. :f_thumbsup:
      lol please!!!! :P
    • GraveGoods
      GraveGoods
      Bronze
      I allow myself to relax when I get tilty. I never ever stop and have a lay down or just sit and do nothing in my general life, there's always something going on even if it's just the TV. Sometimes I get super tilty (only sometimes!) where if anyone was near me, they'd think I was doing a Phil Helmuth impression! So when that hits, I just go and lay down and think about nothing and relax.

Just recently I've been taking breaks too. I used to just sit and play 5/6 hours straight. Now I take time off after a session instead of just jumping into the next. I understand most people do this now :tongue:
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      have a wank before and after sessions
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze

:f_o:

Doesn't everyone? I thought that was standard.

:f_p:

The mom of an ex once told me...

"98% of males wank. The other 2% don't have hands."
    • guz28
      guz28
      Bronze

+1 :f_thumbsup:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Make sure the kids are in bed. If my 9 year old is not in bed, BOOOOM, instant doomswitch.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Agree with the take a break one definately. Even if it's just 5 minutes to go make a drink or something it works wonders :s_cool:
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by guz28

+1 :f_thumbsup:
      or they are catholic. :f_biggrin:
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      My girlfriend's the opposite. She's commented before that I should be a better player "because I've always got two cards with pictures" whenever she looks at my screen. And it's true.

Of course this wrongly supposes that 1) we control what cards we're going to get in poker & 2) that I'm that lucky all the time.

She's also commented after slowplayed trips cracked my aces that I must be terribad because "nobody loses with 2 aces, do they?", not the ideal phrase to hear immediately after losing to a slowplayed hand. :f_cry: