This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL50 SH , Blindbattle (-EV or +EV?)

• wallace07
      wallace07
      Bronze
      I've got a discussion with a friend of mine about the following hand, he says that my play is too risky/loose play and -EV in this situation. I consider him as (in my point of view) a too tight and straightforward shorthanded player, so this example splits our opinions massively ;)
      I think it's +EV (with variance though) and I would definitely do it again in the same situation. I'll give a humble explanation of my thoughts below.

Titan No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25/$0.50 (Titan HH Converter by Kreatief)

CO ($118.64)
      Button ($49.25)
      SB ($28.25)
      BB ($50.00) (Hero)
      MP2 ($111.30)
      MP3 ($92.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , K:club:
      4 folds, SB raises to 1.0, Hero raises to 3.0, SB raises All-In $28, Hero calls $24.75,

Flop: 8:club: , K:spade: , 3:spade: ( $56.5 )

Turn: 3:diamond: ( $56.5 )

River: 6:diamond: ( $56.5 )

Final Pot: $53.70

Results:

SB has 7:diamond: , 2:diamond:
      Hero has A:club: , K:club:
      Outcome: Hero wins $53.70

I want to ask you about your opinion under the following two conditions:
      a) Villain (ViP: 50%/PfR: 25%)
      b) Villain (ViP: unknwon PfR: unknown)

my thoughts:

a)
      I actually played vs type a) and I give him a loose handrange for his stealing attempt. He will steal with Ax,Kx,Qx,JT,pp,sc maybe even looser or with any two just out of fun (he is a fish who sometimes likes to make risky moves, especially at BU,CO or blinds)
      However, after his all-in I put him on AT+,KQ,KJ,QJ,pp or maybe even any two as a bluff since I still think he is a fish due his loose stats. So, without calculating the proper odds, I would say it's +EV.

b)
      I give this villain a tighter range since I don't know him and he could be the tightest rock on earth.
      However in my experience, blind battles are often very loose at NL50 and I don't think he would push his whole stack so early with a 3-bet whilst holding a monster preflop hand.
      He would rather try to extract more money of me instead of scaring me away, that's why I expect a normal 4-bet with a killer hand like AA or KK which he wants to trap me into a call (-> pot committed) or crying push.
      --> His big all-in bet looks rather like a "I don't want to see a flop" bluff bet with AK,AQ,AJ,KQ or QQ-22.
      So with this hand range it's maybe not a mathematical +EV, but here as well I expect also a any two once in a while which makes it for me +EV.

So my inner poker sense will surely trigger the +EV(f**k the variance)-all-in button.

Note: I won't call this all-in when we both would be deep stacked (100BB+).

And now the third and most important question:
      c) Am I wrong?
  • 2 replies
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      My opinion.

a) With these stats, provided the AF is also 2 or higher, definitely +EV to call this. You will have the best hand most often, which even then won't mean you win, but will be +EV.

b) Against unknown, let it go. All in is a strange move, could mean anything. I played a standard raise with KK the other day at NL25, and an unknown playing his second hand at the table pushed. I though for a bit and called, and he showed AA. This move might be effective under exactly these circumstances, push when there is no logic to do so and a good hand is tempted to call.
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      I agree with aciddrop.