Folding instead of checking

• tchan28
      tchan28
      Bronze
      I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I read somewhere, possibly an article on this website that folding if you can check is bad practice. If I am in a multiway pot, I see the flop and miss everything and no possible card shown on the turn and river would give me the winning hand, is it wrong to fold if I am first to act or if a person checks before me. If it gives one of the people acting behind/infront of me an advantage in the pot in which I folded, why would I check if I gain nothing from it? Is it just considered unethical, and if it is, why should I care about who wins the money in the pot when ultimately I will be trying to win it back?

Edit:
      Also in the starting hand chart it says to fold AK and QQ if more than one person raises but then it goes to say "If there is a re-raise behind you, you only continue on with AA, KK, QQ and AK and go directly all-in. You fold all
      other hands." Could someone explain why you wouldn't fold if you had those hands when previously it said to fold if two people+ raised in front. Is it because your chip stack has already taken too big of a dint and would be more profitable to play the hand?
  • 4 replies
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tchan28
      I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I read somewhere, possibly an article on this website that folding if you can check is bad practice. If I am in a multiway pot, I see the flop and miss everything and no possible card shown on the turn and river would give me the winning hand, is it wrong to fold if I am first to act or if a person checks before me. If it gives one of the people acting behind/infront of me an advantage in the pot in which I folded, why would I check if I gain nothing from it? Is it just considered unethical, and if it is, why should I care about who wins the money in the pot when ultimately I will be trying to win it back?
      Let's say you get dealt 72 in the big blind, there are some limpers and you check. The flop comes Q93. Folding rather than checking would mean that you're not even willing to take the chance of catching another two sevens or deuces on turn and river, which would give you trips. It's pretty rare that you have exactly zero chance at winning a pot, so if your opponents give you an opportunity to see the next card(s), you should take it.

Originally posted by tchan28
      Also in the starting hand chart it says to fold AK and QQ if more than one person raises but then it goes to say "If there is a re-raise behind you, you only continue on with AA, KK, QQ and AK and go directly all-in. You fold all
      other hands." Could someone explain why you wouldn't fold if you had those hands when previously it said to fold if two people+ raised in front. Is it because your chip stack has already taken too big of a dint and would be more profitable to play the hand?
      If someone in front of you raises and another player re-raises him, it's best to assume the re-raiser has a fairly strong range himself, and you don't know how the original raiser is going to react. Hands like AK don't do too well in a multi-way pot. If, however, you're the one raising, someone re-raises you and it's your turn to act again, you only have one opponent which improves your equity.
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      folding is bad because sometimes people think you are going to check/raise instead of check/fold. This gives info. And anyway, you can catch runner runner, or try to bluff on other streets.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Well unless your out of position on the river with 7 high with a board full of overcards (read: about 0,00001% your going to win it) then you could consider folding instead of checking. I'd only probably do it to not give away information in a situation where you'd have to show your cards at showdown.

Personally i don't ever do it. Never seen really a reason to do it. I'd rather let people see that i made a huge bluff that failed to abuse that later and valuebet the shit out of them.
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      In early levels I sometimes fold on turn with baby cards on high board cause then I don't need to pay anymore attention to the table and can focus on my bubble tables for instance. But never with at least backdoor flush/straight draws. I wish there was something like TableNinja for Ongame cause the software is shitty and laggy and it sometimes takes time to even fold. X(