This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Unreal downswing. Should I keep playing?

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      So I decided to start playing again on Full Tilt because of the Take 2 promo. Then I stopped playing after "Black Friday". Then Full Tilt gave me a bonus of $300 + 3 x $20 tickets. I decided even though I haven't been able to withdraw, this bonus is too good to pass up. I started playing Rush Poker to quickly clear the bonus. I'm running so bad right now I seriously think I might bust before I come even close to clearing half this bonus. I moved down from NL10 to NL5 to gain a bigger edge but it's not enough. I'm getting run over by variance right now. My bankroll on FT now stands at just over $500, I'm trying to decide if I should quit now and cut my losses. Wait till I can cash out and move my roll to one of the other sites I play on. Or should I keep chasing this bonus and risk my roll. I've been on downswings before but never this steep. I'm losing at -37bb/100 hands. Any opinions or advice appreciated.

Thanks
  • 7 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      I started playing Rush Poker to quickly clear the bonus.
      This is a leak.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hey Tokyo. I'm not sure I know what you mean. I've been a regular player of Rush poker since shortly after it launched. I recently have been playing on Stars and Party but returned to Rush for bonuses. I have been a winning player over a 300k+ hand sample at NL10 and NL25. Has Rush Poker evolved that much during my absence? What's your advice, stick to what I've been playing more currently? Your opinion would mean a great deal to me.

Thanks
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      It's a mindset thing. "Play poker to quickly clear a bonus" is not a good mindset.

Play your normal game at your normal speed and let the bonus take care of itself. When you have bad beats take a break for as long as necessary. For some reason your desire to clear the bonus quickly is messing with your normal A game.

I am kind of going through the same thing right now. I have a $100 bonus on FTP but the most I can clear without changing up my game and limits is the first $10. So instead of making the entire bonus my goal I am focusing on just the first release. Maybe if I get on a sick heater at the tables I'll push a bit to get the next release too.

(I have no ability to beat Rush anymore so I can't really comment on that specifically. If you were beating it over 300k hands then I have no doubt you can continue to beat it today.)
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I see. I never really thought about what exactly I was doing. Basically I've put all my goals on hold, changed games, changed limits and became obsessed with a bonus. I've done this way too many times, I'm going to return to my regular game and just try to keep building my bankroll. If I clear some of the bonus then it's just that, a bonus.

Thanks
    • mallikarim
      mallikarim
      Bronze
      Not worth it for a bonus.Keep playing YOUR game and if you cant clear all the bonus, such is life.I have 20$ bonus and i play micro-stakes, so imagine the horror.8+ tabling helps, but it's still a griiiind.
    • chessmaster1234
      chessmaster1234
      Bronze
      When i first deposited i got a 300$ deposit bonus. At the end i cleared 40$ of it. But my bankroll doubled because i played the game im good at it. Dont 8 table if your just after the bonus, rather play your game and you will get more profit from winnings than you will ever get from bonuses.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies. I feel much better returning to my regular games, and I'm running break even since. I'm going to try and just release the first one or two $20 prices of the bonus and the first Rush ticket. I'm unable to review my Rush sessions because I'm using Elephant. I feel like my nit style for Rush that used to get me 1-1.5 bb/100 doesn't work anymore. I feel like I was being exploited and tilting. Hopefully I can use the rush ticket to get back in form.

Thanks