Dexisss in SNG Land + NEW Graph of June

• dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      I decided to start my own SNG blog (hurray, no one has every seen something like that :) )so i can keep track on my development and hopefully get some second opinions during my adventure.

I am a 23 years old student from Budapest, Hungary, doing my Master degree in Organization Development and decided to make some money with part-time poker :)

Past

I am not completely without any experience in SNGs, used to play some at Stars, Party and UB about 3-4 years ago after I have found a "get rich quick by playing SNGs" book, but stopped to play because i did not have enough time for it and had to withdraw my bankroll as well. Thinking back it's amazing that my game was profitable, considering how super-tight I was playing, but no complains here! ;)

Now i started to play again in February after i got some inspiration from a friend of mine from university. Also i stumbled upon PokerStrategy and started to use the $50 bonus to build my bankroll. I was amazed by the useful resources here, got lot of value from the articles, forum posts and videos. Needles to mention <3 was also a huge inspiration for me to take my game to the next level! :)

So I started to play $2 regular speed SNGs on Full Tilt (skipped the $1 ones, rake was too high) and after some success i deposited $100 so I could move up to the $5 SNGs. I used a bankroll management of 50 buyins which is a bit too risky i think, later i changed to 100 buyins, mentally it is working much better for me.

Present

Now i am playing $6 Turbos in 10-table sets and i am running pretty good, i think especially after the new US law the tables are very soft. Also sometimes i mix in my sets a few 2 and 3 table SNGs, those are even softer, but with the decreased volume they don't fill up quick enough to only play those. I really enjoy life here, results are pretty good. I know that i did not play enough to even find out if i am a winning player and won't have any idea for a while about my actual winning rate, but here is my graph after my restart in 2011:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here about $6 Turbos (22.2% ROI, 14.8% EV adjusted ROI):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Right now my goal is to clear the $100 additional bonus at Full Tilt until May 11, so I am playing about 3 sets a day on average (10 SNGs each).

Future

I want to become a winning reg (>5% ROI) on the $12 SNGs and improve a lot my game on the way. Later on if I can become a winning reg on the $24s, I will be very happy! :) My goal is to play about 20 hours a week and about 1000 SNGs a month.

Also I am looking for sweat partners, I do everything to convince my flatmate to start playing SNGs, but meanwhile it would be nice to share some thoughts with others as well, especially from the $6 Turbos at Full Tilt! :)

May goals are coming soon!
  • 47 replies
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      GL with SNG's :)
    • Stripps
      Stripps
      Bronze
      Do you have any goals that you want to accomplish?
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      Today's first session started pretty cold, but the late stage made a nice boost on it. Result of the 10 Tables: $59 + $10 from bonus, 91% ROI, played well, earned well, life is good! :)

Again: these 2 and 3 table SNGs are soooooo soft.

Have to go back grinding, don't want to miss them ;)
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      Haven't played too much in the last 2 days, but i did more analysis with Wizard. I think my ICM pushes improved a lot lately, but still there are leaks in it, especially with my 5-10BB push/fold decisions from late positions.

Also i take more notes about the regs i play against, surprisingly i haven't seem a lot of stable winning ones. So far i only use a few color-categories: green for fishes, red for multi tablers, orange for break even or losing regs, purple for winning regs and yellow for special reads. Any ideas about your working note taking techniques are more than welcome, i am not too satisfied with mine!

Today i return back to the tables, hope it will go like it did in the past few days in general.
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      Just a fun fact: today i have won an SNG after losing a coinflip and being down to 158 chips. We were still 7 handed, but with some patience managed to get my chips in the middle at the optimal times, so with some luck on the bubble i was the chip leader already :)

Conclusion: never give up and waste your chips stupidly, wait for the best chance and see how it goes! :)
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      Ooopps, today i just had the worst session of my carreer so far....11 games, only one ITM (3rd place of course), twice KK < AA, and lost all my flips. And this is not the standard whining, i double checked and actually lost all the flips, there were only 2 allins i won, those were my 77 > 55 and my JJ > 88 (yeah, i am a luckbox, i know)

Anyway, my mood is still okay, had some pretty good above EV line sessions lately, so i knew this will come and i am very happy about my 100 buyin bankroll management atm :)
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      Looks like my bad run is a bit longer than i have expected. Today i had a 0 ITM set as well. Tried to loosen up my early stage play a bit, that part looks promising, but still i have to work a lot on my post flop play, i think i am far better in ICM push/fold decisions.

It has been a bit frustrating that all my any two pushes end up against top 15% hands and as a huge surprise, i don't tend to suck out :)

Anyway, i still think my game is good and on the long run it will just balance out. Fortunately my mindset is still okay: i am not tilting and the only important thing is that i make the right decisions. Still i think i make a funny face when my AA < K6 with turn 6, river 6. :f_biggrin:

Also now i find out how important it was to read "The Poker Mindset", it helped so much to prepare for this, i can only recommend it to anyone.

So far I can maintain the 30 SNG/day rate, which is my initial goal until 11st May (and probably for later as well).

Back soon, hopefully with some more cheerful topics! ;)
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Hey I saw you at some of my tables this weekend :) I am interested in taking sweat sessions - skype is niikolay.iiliev9.
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      :spade: :heart: GOALS FOR MAY 2011 :spade: :heart:

In this month i will have to study a bit more than previously, so i don't wanna set such a high monthly volume. Still I want to work hard to improve my game away from the tables.

[ :diamond:] play 600 SNGs
      [ :diamond:] reach Iron Man Silver
      [ :diamond:] reach Gold status on PS.com
      [ :diamond:] review all my hands with Wizard
      [ :diamond:] learn what hands are in specific ranges (2,5% accuracy :) )
      [ :diamond:] read Sklansky: No Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice
      [ :diamond:] watch 10 more videos (silver + hopefully some gold)
      [ :diamond:] 95%+ score with 4 and 5 handed situations in ICM trainer (500 sample)

I was also thinking about setting ROI goals, but i don't think it makes too much sense, especially after reading the Poker Mindset ;)
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      In the last week i am running so weak....honestly i don't think that my game is bad, but results don't seem to come. my correct pushes end up against monsters.

Also my red EV line seems to drop, which made me a bit worried. But after analysing a few situations, i realized that the EV line is not "correct" for SNGs, it is closer to indicating Sklansky $ wins/losses.

So as far as i understand the EV line drops when you push your JJ from SB with 5BB stack against the 5 BB stack big blind who has AA. Of course it is correct play, but your EV line will drop, because you only had 19,5% to win.

Because of the aspects mentioned above, right now i am a bit confused about how much you can take the EV line into consideration when you are analysing your SNG game, because it clearly does not show how bad or how good you play.

Any ideas on this would be welcome! :)

For me it's time to stop whining and start to work on my game!
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      May has been pretty mixed so far. For a while i was stagnating a lot, but in the last couple of days, i had some very good session, so the month looks fine by now (13.7% ROI, 8.6% EV ROI and + $283) Also i manage to keep up with the planned volume (played 317 in 17 days, goal for the month is 600) but to be honest i don't analyze all my sessions with Wizard...

Anyway, i think my 3-5 stack pushing improved a lot, i am more ready to look for spots to push so i don't always push UTG, which is way too predictable on the long run so i want to avoid it.

What i realized lately that it is very important to be stable in your head when results don't seem to be so positive. Sometimes i think about changing my game because of short term results and it is so difficult to judge if you should change or not. Probably i will use some HEM filtet analysis when i will have a bit bigger sample size to take a look at specific moves.

Also i had a very interesting session yesterday. Played 2 sets of 10 tourneys each. Both of them were the same EV ROI, but the first session was +86$, the second was -22$. Love variance :s_biggrin:

That's it for today's monolog, will be back soon :)

Ps.: Oh, and i got gold status here, so finally i have access to the lassthanthree videos, hurray!!
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      Argh, i am so angry with myself....I had a $100 additional bonus on Full Til which i wanted to clear completely, but i remembered the end date of the offer incorrectly so i did not clear the last $10 of it and as a result i did not get the final $10 rush poker ticket either.....I know it's not a big thing, but it's frustrating that i could not pay more attention to it.....hope to be mre careful in the future :)
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      I've read a lot of posts about the EV of watching TV (or at least your TV being on) while playing. To be honest, usually I have the Comedy Central on during my sessions and I am not convinced about it, that it has an overal negative effect on my play. It's true that it disturbs my short term decision making (less reads, less focus, etc.), but on the long run it helps not to get bored. Sometimes i am not so eager to play and it makes it a lot easier to be motivated when there is something funny in the background. Of course it does not sound/look very professional, but this really isn't my concern...

It is still a question which effect is stronger, but for a while i still plan to have the Family Guy around during my sessions :f_biggrin:
    • gekitsios
      gekitsios
      Global
      Originally posted by dexisss
      I've read a lot of posts about the EV of watching TV (or at least your TV being on) while playing. To be honest, usually I have the Comedy Central on during my sessions and I am not convinced about it, that it has an overal negative effect on my play. It's true that it disturbs my short term decision making (less reads, less focus, etc.), but on the long run it helps not to get bored. Sometimes i am not so eager to play and it makes it a lot easier to be motivated when there is something funny in the background. Of course it does not sound/look very professional, but this really isn't my concern...

It is still a question which effect is stronger, but for a while i still plan to have the Family Guy around during my sessions :f_biggrin:
      if you are boring while playing 10 tables and you need to open tv,then propably its better to increase the tables
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      10 tables is a lot of tables...Not sure how can anyone can even watch TV at the same time :P

Maybe it's time you start taking notes and stuff :)
    • gekitsios
      gekitsios
      Global
      Originally posted by stevegold87
      10 tables is a lot of tables...Not sure how can anyone can even watch TV at the same time :P

Maybe it's time you start taking notes and stuff :)
      +1
    • gekitsios
      gekitsios
      Global
      we have played together today :)
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gekitsios
      we have played together today :)
      yeah, too bad my bubble bvb push with QT got called by you with AQs :f_biggrin:

anyway, i really enjoyed seeing someone from the community at the tables, i was even thinking about how loose i can push against you, but QT was just too strong to fold ;)
    • dexisss
      dexisss
      Bronze
      Today i made a shocking discovery. Took HEM to analyze the profitability of certain game types and i realized something very interesting.

After playing 967 games on $5+ tables my ROI is 14,5% (EV adj. ROI is 12,2%) which i think is pretty fine BUT when i took a closer look a realized that there is a huge difference in my ROI at MT SNGs and STT SNGs.

To be more precise, in May my ROI at STTs is only 5,2% while for MTs it is 62,2%! Of course it is still a small sample, especially because i only played a few (63 this month) MTs while playing 386 STTs, but still it made me think.

Conclusions:

Maybe i should concentrate more on MT SNGs for 3 reasons: i could have a bigger sample size to see my real ROI there, i could train for later MTT actions and last but not least: if i am better playing those, then why not make more money? :f_biggrin:

Also i have to reevaluate my STT SNG game. I was thinking that i have a ROI of around 10-12%, which is completely acceptable, it turned out my ROI for this month is only around 5%. Of course it could be because of variance, but still it was very interesting to see.

So from now on i will be definitely adding more MT SNGs to my sets to increase my sample size and see how it goes.

That's it for today, be good!