[NL2-NL10] NL2- AQo pre-flop

• Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello,

Since I have a hard time to play hands like AQ in some marginal spots, I decided to post 2 AQ hands. I'd like to ask, what to do pre flop in such spots.

In the first spot, the SHC says to fold AQo. Maybe folding is the best play, but I thought, the odds I was getting were too good. For some reason, I didn't feel comfortable to raise so I just called. The problem is, calling might be the worst possible action because now I'm in a multiway pot with AQo, OOP and without initiative. What would you do in this spot? Squeeze?

Thanks.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $2.84
      MP1:
      $2.24
      MP2:
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $2.47
      CO:
      $2.00
      BU:
      $4.03
      SB:
      $4.31
      BB (Hero):
      $2.22

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A.
      CO posts deadblind, UTG2 raises to $0.08, 3 folds, CO calls $0.06, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) J, T, 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets $0.08, CO raises to $0.16, Hero folds, UTG2 raises to $0.54, CO calls $0.38.

Turn: ($1.33) 4 (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, CO bets $0.38, UTG2 calls $0.38.

River: ($2.09) K (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $2.09.

Results follow:

UTG2 shows three of a kind, tens(Th Td).
      CO shows a pair of jacks(9d Jd).

UTG2 wins with three of a kind, tens(Th Td).
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Dback357,

Basically depends a lot on the UTG and as well CO. If UTG is really opening a lot of hands then you may as well even squeeze. And while you don't feel that great with playing AQo postflop OOP then likely folding would be the safest play. Although it's playable hand with Call as well.

Best regards.
    • Dback357
      Dback357
      Bronze
      Hello Veriz,

thank you for your answer.

I suppose the things you said are true also in the case of other "marginal" hands like JJ or TT in the same spot (of course with the exception of folding being the safest play.....with those, I can still hit a set). What about AJo or AJs? AJ might be a bit weak for a squeeze in this spot....Am I wrong?

Thanks.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Dback357
      Hello Veriz,

thank you for your answer.

I suppose the things you said are true also in the case of other "marginal" hands like JJ or TT in the same spot (of course with the exception of folding being the safest play.....with those, I can still hit a set). What about AJo or AJs? AJ might be a bit weak for a squeeze in this spot....Am I wrong?

Thanks.
      AJ is even weaker, gets dominated a lot more hands. :( And as well rather know the opponents you are doing the squeeze against.