is this profitable???

• MissLT
      MissLT
      Bronze
      i would like to ask u members, is this profitable on fullring to call 3-bet with medium pairs toget set on the flop??? for exsample i raise with 88 to 3bb and someone reraise to 9bb is this proditable to call??? cause its less then 10 % of my stack....
  • 6 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Depends on how nitty your opp is
    • MissLT
      MissLT
      Bronze
      but if he nitty its profitable????
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      No stick to the call 20 rule outline in the starting hands chart.

This can only be profitable if but you and the 3-better have deep stacks of 180 bb's or more.

EDIT** Or if you think you can outplay them after the flop.... Although I don't think you are going to see many flops in a 3-bet pot that you are comfortable with holding a mid PP
    • ashparagon
      ashparagon
      Bronze
      Unless you are on the btn and he's on the BB and you have been raising alot in LP and you think he's full of shit cause he keeps playing back at you.

Which is unlikely...

OR

if he never fold post flop after a 3 bet and willing to bluff off his whole stack.

Which is also unlikely...
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      If it's just for set value, then no. Just because he 3bet you doesn't mean he's going to put his entire stack in the middle regardless of the board. Let's say he 3bet with KK and there's an ace on the flop. Even if you hit a set, he's probably not going to pay your set off unless he's bad.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      if you are getting more than 10:1 it could be profitable, but only if you are almost always guaranteed to stack him. I can see it working when you know villain is only doing it with AA,KK for example and will stack off on any flop.

Lets say we hold pocket 3's. We want another 3 on the flop. There are two more 3's in the deck, so we have 2 outs. We need one of the remaining 3's on the flop to get a set. There are three cards on the flop, so three cards will be drawn from a total of 50 cards (we hold two of them in our hand already.) You have 7.7:1 odds of flopping a set. thats around 12.5%

you then need to account for when villain will flop a set, and then look at the effective stack size to decide whether its gonna be profitable. obviously you want to be 100bb+ deep, otherwise its not worth considering imo. I think 180bb+ is kinda conservative, and deepstack play is normally pretty differant. Personally I'd be exploring whether this is an option if eff stack >135bb or so. but read below:

TL;DR

- it can be profitable, but , only in very specific situations.
      - you need reads!
      - you need a stack deep enough to make the potential reward worth the risk.