Video Discussion - The durrrr vs Ivey Bluff Classic

• DanielUK
      DanielUK
      Bronze
      It's always a pleasure to watch durrrr and Ivey work their magic but when they get tangled up in big pots together that's when things can really heat up.

Triple-barrel with 9 high and bloat the pot to $677,000 against Ivey? Only in durrrrland.

Tank the river with 2nd bottom pair and come close to making a quarter million dollar genius call? Only in Ivey's world.

Discuss this epic hand from High Stakes Poker season 6 right here.

• 17 replies
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Bronze
      dont try this at home :)
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Pretty standard squeeze + 3 barrels, lol.

Ivey merely calls (no raise) two streets on an extremely wet board so he clearly can't have a monster on the river.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Seen this quite a few times already so here's my opinion.

Standard flop call. he has the nut flush draw (9 outs) the nut gutshot straight draw (4 outs) and possibly the A will be good sometimes here too possibly adding another (3 outs). With so many outs i'd rather get it in as soon as possible personally to avoid very difficult spots like it became on the river.

The flop call is alright too although i'd prefer reraising personally. I'd only see a reason to just call is too make Tom keep bluffing and get the most chips out of him. That's what i think Ivey was doing. THere's so many draws out there it's not that unlikely Tom Dwan is drawing. He could also obviously have a very strong made hand already. So Ivey calls a 3/4 potsize bet on the turn. He's not calling for odds anymore. So he either thinks Tom Dwan is bluffing, weak enough that he can bluff him out of the hand on the river if he misses or can get paid off enough if he hits on the river to make it worth to call. I personally don't think he's going to get paid off when the flush or straight or A hits so that makes the last scenario unlikely. I don't think Tom Dwan could continue with his bluff if any scare card hit on the river like A, J, 9 any diamond and probably T,Q,K too. So in my opinion after making that turn call your not ever folding blank rivers. Either raise or call.

Seeing as he thought that long about calling the river i'm pretty sure Ivey thought he was bluffing. But because it was so much money and such a sick bluff by Tom Dwan that he started doubting his own read. He had the right read but didn't have the balls to put the chips in.
      Exept for hitting his outs those turn and river cards are the best Ivey could hope for. Complete blank on the turn and atleast makes a small pair on the river. Which probably doesn't change much most of the time but it's atleast something. All draws miss too.

I'm not sure if i like Tom Dwan's bluff that much. But he does have the heart to pull it through and not give up on his read like Ivey did. The turn and river were also the best cards he could have hoped for since all draws missed and ivey was drawing. Perhaps he was going to represent one of the strong draws when they were hit then he wouldn't have liked it. But if he could have seen the hole cards he'd realise how lucky he got with the turn/river.

To sum it up. Vs a player like Tom Dwan and those blank turn/river cards you could definetly justify a call by Ivey on the river. It's a very hard call but possible nonetheless. I'm not really sure what Tom Dwan was thinking to be honest or what his read was. But he got the best turn/river cards he could hope for if his read was that Ivey was weak or drawing.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      This didn't give much love in the photoshop contest but it's the same hand :D

• z1pz0r
      z1pz0r
      Bronze
      IMO Ivey's flush draw is like face-up to durrr, he wouldn't limp/call anything else, maybe TQ and even that folds so durrr's play is standard.
      Ivey, on the other hand is pure genious. I doubt anyone is at his level right now, and his reading abilities are just frightening.

Btw this pic is a total win :D
    • rtrtrtr
      rtrtrtr
      Bronze
      Tom Dwan has a tell and he showed it again there in his bluff. Should Ivey have called if he had this tell? Dunno, the tell says he's weak but a pair of sixes isn't exactly strong and Dwan could easily have JT or something similar. If Ivey raises, Dwan gets around 4.5 to 1 to call and is likely to do so with a hand like JT. Now we know he had junk but Ivey didn't though he would obviously have suspected it possible. Throw the tell in I have on Dwan and I guess Ivey calls.

Don't ask me what Durrrr's tell is....I ain't saying. I'm hoping to bump into him one day and get him to buy that tell off me. Either that or I'm gonna sell it to Ivey! :f_grin:
    • ryuuu
      ryuuu
      Gold
      Originally posted by rtrtrtr
      Tom Dwan has a tell and he showed it again there in his bluff. Should Ivey have called if he had this tell? Dunno, the tell says he's weak but a pair of sixes isn't exactly strong and Dwan could easily have JT or something similar. If Ivey raises, Dwan gets around 4.5 to 1 to call and is likely to do so with a hand like JT. Now we know he had junk but Ivey didn't though he would obviously have suspected it possible. Throw the tell in I have on Dwan and I guess Ivey calls.

Don't ask me what Durrrr's tell is....I ain't saying. I'm hoping to bump into him one day and get him to buy that tell off me. Either that or I'm gonna sell it to Ivey! :f_grin:
      LOL ye right...........good luck with that :D
    • rtrtrtr
      rtrtrtr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ryuuu
      Originally posted by rtrtrtr

LOL ye right...........good luck with that :D
      Well unless Durrrr moves down to NL10 it ain't gonna be much use to me. I can hope, can't I? :f_frown:
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      TV poker is rigged.

• justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      imo the way ivey speaks to durr is drawing words so durr feels comfortable that if he makes it look so strong he will make ivey fold even if he doesnt believe him.
      but yes yes yes sick stuff.
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      Durrr puts Ivy on flush draw and continues to bet.The river comes a brick and Ivy has to fold.
      not true?prove me wrong then!
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      imo the way ivey speaks to durr is drawing words so durr feels comfortable that if he makes it look so strong he will make ivey fold even if he doesnt believe him.
      but yes yes yes sick stuff.
      hahaha omg plz are you joiking ???sick why cuz they have money?Durrr put Ivy on a flush draw on the flop ...
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      And Ivy was the big winner this session he could fold and still be 100K up.
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      this hand is totaly boring not even fun.

3 post style trolololol
    • bohemiagrove
      bohemiagrove
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Pretty standard squeeze + 3 barrels, lol.

Ivey merely calls (no raise) two streets on an extremely wet board so he clearly can't have a monster on the river.
      +1.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Just like to mention. The logical hand for Ivey is a strong drawing hand the way he plays it. Playing every hand in the way that makes the most sense/logical is probably not enough to beat the world's best ;) . So i doubt Ivey's range is really that polarised in a pretty standard spot like this.

Else that'd be a pretty huge flaw in his game in my opinion seeing as edges are already extremely small when the world's best play against eachother.
    • callofnature
      callofnature
      Bronze
      In my opinion, a huge mistake by Ivey is that he asked Durr with how much did he start the hand before making the flop call. It is usually an indication that the one asking that question is drawing.